Springfield XD and XDS

mhl6493

Tonight after church, I was able to hold a couple of my friends' guns -- a Springfield XDs .45, and an XD 9mm.  First time ever holding any of the XD line.  Oh my, I absolutely loved how both of them felt in my hand - like they were made just for me.

Anybody have either of these pistols, or even an XDm?  Just wondering what y'alls experience with them has been, good and bad.  I think I might have to add them to my ever-growing wish list... :D

I have had one XD and it was ok. I just shoot Glocks better. I could also stand to live without the grip safety. I do like how the 9mm XD's hold manically hold so many rounds. The XD 45 is somewhat thinner and easier to carry over a Glock 21.

I also had a XDS 45 but I just like the Shield so much better. The XDS carries like a small gun and shoots like one. The Shield just shoots like a fullsize.
  • Like 1

I have the XDm in 40 S&W. I shoot it as well as my M&P and Glock pistols in 40 S&W.

I've had no issues with it.

The grip safety does not bother me at all. I don't even notice it. And haven't had an issue with it.

I tend to shoot my Glocks and M&P much more. No reason why. I just do.

It's a mass produced well made and reliable pistol. It really isn't special in any way over the others.

I guess the only bad things I can say about it that it's not as easy to take apart as my Glocks.

• Like 1

The XD line is at least as good as any Glock, at least as far as I have experience.  Mine are extremely accurate and reliable.  The only issue I ever had was using SWC bullets, but never an issue with HP or target.

I also don't get people saying they have an issue with the grip safety.  I have never noticed it.  If you are holding the pistol properly, you won't either.  I'm curious if the same people complaining about the Springfield grip safety also complain about 1911s.

• Like 2

. I'm curious if the same people complaining about the Springfield grip safety also complain about 1911s.

Yes, I do! If I am not mistaken John Moses Browning did not want the 1911 to have a grip safety.

While in the police academy and a couple of the training events I have been to I have seen XD(M) malfunction because they will not run dry. Soak them with oil and run again. Edited by Patton

Have three XD 9mm: the subbie, service, and tactical.  Love 'em. Jumped into them as my "main pistol battery" about 8 years ago (had always just had centerfire revolvers before).

Picked over Glock because:

- Gen 3 and forward finger grooves don't feel right to me, and didn't want to spend however long to ferret out used Gen 2s

- although can shoot Glocks as well as anything else with sights, they point high for me like no other handgun I've ever held

- I like both the loaded chamber and cocked indicators on the XD fine, and the grip safety was actually a significant selling point to me -- I see it as added safety margin for reholstering if nothing else.

Carried the subbie for a good while IWB, but had to be even more discreet at times, so settled into Kahr PM9 in pocket most always anymore. But I do really miss the good feeling of that 13+1.

Ya get up this way (Knox) you can shoot 'em.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I've got a tactical XD in 45, it is awesome. I've never had an issue and its eaten everything Ive fed it. To me it is nicer to shoot than the G21 and this bad boy holds 13+1.

I highly recommend it!

• Like 1
Xd-40 service model is my EDC. Got a sc too. Thousands of rnd thur my service model and it still goes boom every time. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
  • Like 1
I had an XD45 a long time ago. It was the first polymer gun I tried. It was a great gun. Never had an issue. However at the time I didn't know how to shoot pistols very well so can't comment on shootability. I do think the two tone XDm is one of the better looking plastic guns out now. And i always liked rhe 3.8 size. I carry Glocks now because that's what I'm comfortable with and what I was trained on. I vaguely remember that the bore axis seemed higher on the XD but may be wrong.
  • Like 1

I carry an XD-S 3.3 in .45ACP most days. I love the way it carries and the way it shoots. It's ergonomics aren't as good as my CZs, but still darn good.

As far as the grip safety is concerned, I find it to be a non-issue. If I have a proper grip on the firearm, the grip safety IS depressed. I don't have to think about it, just like I don't have to search for the trigger.

I carry an XD-S 3.3 in .45ACP most days. I love the way it carries and the way it shoots. It's ergonomics aren't as good as my CZs, but still darn good.

As far as the grip safety is concerned, I find it to be a non-issue. If I have a proper grip on the firearm, the grip safety IS depressed. I don't have to think about it, just like I don't have to search for the trigger.

If you don't mind my asking, how do you carry your .45?  I'd love to be able to pocket carry it, but it looks like it's a bit too big for that.

Yes, I do! If I am not mistaken John Moses Browning did not want the 1911 to have a grip safety.

While in the police academy and a couple of the training events I have been to I have seen XD(M) malfunction because they will not run dry. Soak them with oil and run again.

I've never had a problem running mine wet or dry. However, if after about 10,000 rounds you haven't cleaned it at all, you may start to notice some reliability issues. I now clean mine twice a year whether they need it or not. 

I have owned the XD9SC, XD40 Service, XDM40, XDM9 5.25. 

Don't waste the money on the XDM. Get a service or a tactical and put in the Powder River Precision (PRP) trigger kit. It takes about an hour and a half max and will make the trigger like butta! Unless you are going to use it in competition, then maybe you'll want the extra .25". Who knows? 

• Like 2
I guess I'm one of those people who really don't have an absolute, be all, end all favorite handgun.

I do have several XD pistols, and one XDm.

I have no problem at all with the grip safety on any of them. Personally, I absolutely love the XD 45 Tactical(5" barrel). I find it to be one of the easiest shooting and most accurate 45 pistols I have. It holds well for me and with the longer sight radius, it is very easy to be accurate with it. As an added bonus, I traded for the gun not knowing it had a guide rod laser system in it. And eitherthe man I got it from didn't know or just forgot about it. But it is dead on poi at under 50 feet. I really haven't tried it at any longer distances.

My first was a SD9 subcompact, and I'll not part with it. I find it as easy to shoot as any compact, such as the G19, and favor it over many others; compact or fullsize. It now resides at home with an extended mag and a TLR-1 light on it and I find it to be a very good house gun.

The XDm 9 5.25 is awesome for target shooting/competition. As with most of my guns, it is capable of far outshooting my abilities.

But one of the greatest things about the XD line these days is that they are no longer the trendy, most wanted, newest item on the market. So prices are really dropping on them, at least I seem to seethat happening in some places.

I'm sorry I don't remember the site, but I ran across nib XD9 subcompacts over the weekend for 395. That's a very good price for a now under-rated and high quality handgun.

I would heartily recommend to anyone in the market for a good 9, or subcompact 9 take a look at these. Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

If you don't mind my asking, how do you carry your .45? I'd love to be able to pocket carry it, but it looks like it's a bit too big for that.

I find them very easy to pocket carry. Loaded it probably will not feel any different than your 640, but you will be gaining at least one round. I will say that the .45 version may not be for the recoil sensitive. I have not been able to shoot a XDS 9 yet so I can't comment. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

Have a xd9 subcompact,carried it for a while.Wife took it over after firing a couple of mags through it.She likes it over the shield I got for her.Very under rated pistols.I have no idea how many rounds have been shot out of it.Everyone that has shot it likes it.

• Like 1

All... Not to hijack mhl's thread; but i like the XD pistols too; and i really like the single stack XDs idea...  

Havin said all that; ive got a gunsmith buddy that does a great job of slickin up the triggers on Glocks without replacing components ALA the Powder River Kit... My question is can ya slick up the triggers on these pistols without replacing a bunch of parts...?   I been thinkin about a XDs in 45ACP or 40S&W... Whadda ya'll think...?

leroy

• Like 1
[quote name="mhl6493" post="1159610" timestamp="1402950016"]If you don't mind my asking, how do you carry your .45? I'd love to be able to pocket carry it, but it looks like it's a bit too big for that.[/quote] To be honest, it depends on what I'm wearing. When I'm wearing a close fitting pullover, I carry it in a Crossbreed style holster I made. If I have a baggy shirt on, I usually carry it in a Bianchi Minimalist (model 105)...my favorite holster for it. If I'm not sure where I'll wind up, I use the paddle holster that came with it. On the weekends when I'm wearing looser pants, I put it in a DeSantis pocket holster, but it takes big pockets and loose pants for that.
  • Like 1

I find them very easy to pocket carry. Loaded it probably will not feel any different than your 640, but you will be gaining at least one round. I will say that the .45 version may not be for the recoil sensitive. I have not been able to shoot a XDS 9 yet so I can't comment.

I agree on the recoil of the XDs .45.  I like everything about the pistol except the recoil.  I had a pre-recall version, so when I got it back from Springfield I noticed it had about 1 lb more trigger pull weight, and it did not feel as nice as the original.  I honestly have not shot it much since getting it back beyond making sure it worked reliably.  It is still as reliable as ever, but I have to say I don't like it as much as I did.  Maybe if I had only had the post recall version I wouldn't feel this way.

• Like 1
[quote name="AMSting" post="1159682" timestamp="1402969506"]I agree on the recoil of the XDs .45. I like everything about the pistol except the recoil. I had a pre-recall version, so when I got it back from Springfield I noticed it had about 1 lb more trigger pull weight, and it did not feel as nice as the original. I honestly have not shot it much since getting it back beyond making sure it worked reliably. It is still as reliable as ever, but I have to say I don't like it as much as I did. Maybe if I had only had the post recall version I wouldn't feel this way.[/quote] I thought mine felt like the trigger was heavier when it came back too. Since I hadn't actually measured it, I couldn't say for sure. It could have just been my perception or my angst over them taking almost 3 months to give me my damn gun back. Either way, 250+ rounds later, I don't notice that anymore. Maybe I just got used to it? Aside from the time I accidentally shot up a whole magazine of my 230 gr +P Hornady ammo by mistake, I never thought the recoil was that bad. Again, this may just be my perception, but I feel like since it's so thin and I can get so much more of my paws around it...it doesn't seem like the recoil is all that bad to me.
  • Like 1
I have a XDS 45 as a backup, now that the hairbrain recall is done, I have faith in it again. It's small, conceals well, and of course launches 45's well as long as u hold it with authority.
For a concealed weapon I give it a 7. I added trijicon night sights which now makes it a 9 in my opinion. It works as a tool and not a safe queen. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1

If you don't mind my asking, how do you carry your .45?  I'd love to be able to pocket carry it, but it looks like it's a bit too big for that.

I use the same Crossbreed holster for the 9 and 45 XDS. :pleased:

• Like 1