Best 3 Pizza topping combo?

Guest HillyKarma

For me, I'd say mushrooms, pepperoni, and onion. Lite sauce. For extra flavor, add black olives and green peppers.

For my wife, there is only one pizza. Thin crust, lite sauce, topped with ham and pineapple. (Preferably it would be from Papa Murphy. That has been about the best ham and pineapple we have found.)

Pepperonni, sausage and onions if that's all I can have. Otherwise, the sky's the limit.

One of the best three toppers I've ever tried was canadian bacon, artichoke hearts and capers.

Never tried artichokes on a pizza, sounds good
  • Like 1

a guy I work with swears anchovies are great on pizza

If somebody put anchovies on my pizza, I'd swear too...

I had to travel to S. Korea on business several years ago.  My first real meal, other than the granola bars I brought, consisted of Domino's pizza with steak fries, yellow peppers, and mustard as toppings.  It was as odd as it sounds... and probably the best meal I had the whole week I was there.  :-\

Peperoni, Pineapple, and Bacon.  Light sauce.  Extra cheese is a given and shouldn't count as a topping IMHO.  A little spice, a little salty, and a little sweet.  Then drizzle on some Siracha and pour a cold pilsner style beer and you're in business!

• Like 1

I like what is often called a 'traditional, hand-tossed' crust.  Pan pizza used to be my favorite but somewhere along the way Pizza Hut went down the tubes in general and specifically forgot how to cook a pan pizza.  Where pan pizza crust (specifically Pizza Hut) used to be crunchy on the outside and tender/chewy in the middle now they are often underdone, tough and barely browned on the outside and gummy and doughy in the middle.  Yuck.  As for thin crust, if I want tomato sauce on a cracker then I'll just eat tomato sauce on a cracker :) .

Further, while I like mushrooms, (some) olives, bell peppers, onions, spinach, sliced tomatoes and the like in other contexts, I don't want any of that crap on my pizza.  If I want a salad then I'll eat a salad - no need to ruin good pizza by putting salad on it.  Pineapple is acceptable in some configurations and I will make an exception for a white sauce pizza with chicken, spinach, pineapple and banana peppers on some, very rare occasions.

Otherwise, I like salami (which I think is less greasy and more tasty than pepperoni) and Italian sausage.  Even better if it is from Mama Mia's in Kingston, TN where the owner (a German lady with an Irish last name whose father in law was Irish and whose mother in law was Italian) makes her own sausage in house (she makes the dough for the pizza crust and the bread that her sandwiches are served on in house, as well.)  The crust there is fairly thin but avoids being 'cracker like'.  Romeo's in Loudon also does a good job with that combo.  If I have to have a third topping then I would go with either extra cheese or, maybe, Canadian bacon.

Edited by JAB