Got advice from someone at walmart

Wyldk2

That was not wanted nor needed. I was shopping in the Tullahoma wal-mart yesterday after church with my fiancee and her son when some guy came up behid me and told me i might ought to adjust my shirt to cover my gun. I was wearing slacks, dress shirt dress shoes and my shield was tucked in the back pants using my versacarry holster( yes i have one of these). Never had a problem with anyone telling me i needed to cover up ( as this is a HCP, not a conceal state). Fiancee was a little tiffed at the guy for sticking his nose in it and then telling us Wal-mart has a policy on weapons in the back of the store. I told the guy, walmart is not posted where they need to be if they really don't like weapons in their store. They probably won't, since that might keep some people from wanting to shop there.

Yes i was really not bothered by this, thanked the guy but told him its ok.

Then he told me after the incident saturday( bomb was found in the garden area of tullahoma walmart) found to be non explosive yet had all the components aside from explosives to work, that walmart might not want me to shop with a gun on my person.

I'm sorry but i have the permit to carry, i can't rely on those cameras to protect me when i leave their store to get in my vehicle.

Edited by Wyldk2
If you don't want any attention while carrying, keep it concealed at all times. If you opt to carry in a manner which is partially or completely visible, then be prepared to receive attention periodically, most of which will not be positive or desired, and some of which may be quite dangerous. Legal or not, open carry is a bad idea. It should be legal everywhere and always, but practiced nowhere and never. If you feel otherwise then don't complain when you are the recipient of said "attention". Edited by wileecoyote
  • Like 7

I have openly carried before, 99.9 percent of people either don't care or don't see it as a problem. I'm thinking most people never see it. Most of the time i conceal, this was the one time i had to partial open carry due to dress shirt and i still have not gotten a better holster for conceal( low funds/new job starting soon).

Open vs Concealed carry, blah blah blah; you do what you want to do.  Some people just don't understand how to mind their own damned business when they go out and about, and want to make sure you're aware of their opinion.  I'm still amazed to know that someone actually carries using one of those versacarry things.

• Like 2

I guess it would not bother me to much if someone came up and politely and discreetly mentioned to me that he could see my weapon. This being because I never carry open and if they can see it then I may need to do some adjustment to my carry program because I don't want to even print much less have anyone see my weapon period. Every one has their own opinions on an issue such as this and I respect everyone's for sure.................jmho  

• Like 1

I conceal, always. Not to say that it hasn't shown the bottom part when I squatted to pick up something in the store or whatever, but I don't want it showing. What ticks me off about the guy telling the OP, is that if there was a gang member standing there with his gun sticking out of his pants, he'd say jack s*!t. They have cojones against peaceable people but if they're afraid they'll get shot, the think "Nahhh, he's okay"? <----Those are some of the reason's HCP holders carry, but liberal pansies never even mention the bad guys, EVER!

I don't see any problem with open carry, but some people might. I don't go to great measures to conceal. I usualy just have a loose shirt over mine. Walmart as a whole does have a "concealed only" policy, but most stores don't bother enforcing it. Some Walmart store managers will ask people to keep it covered, but most don't since you are perfectly within your legal rights. I say carry how you're most comfortable, but like wileecoyote said, some people might feel the need to give an opinion about it.

I don't see any problem with open carry, but some people might. I don't go to great measures to conceal. I usualy just have a loose shirt over mine. Walmart as a whole does have a "concealed only" policy, but most stores don't bother enforcing it. Some Walmart store managers will ask people to keep it covered, but most don't since you are perfectly within your legal rights. I say carry how you're most comfortable, but like wileecoyote said, some people might feel the need to give an opinion about it.

Where did you hear that? I always though they just followed the states laws. Not disagreeing just wondering.

found this on another site:

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.

The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.

Thank you,

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc."

As you can see the date of the replay is 1999 so I'm unsure if they still follow this policy or if it has been changed to meet the times. I searched more and have been unable to find anything saying it was changed.

Edited by Wyldk2
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I have to call BS on that statement.

Care to post where you got that info from?

Not BS at all. My wife has worked in management & customer service at Walmart for almost 16 years. (This will be her last year, though. She's graduating college this coming May & will moving on to something better :up: ) I've seen the safety videos myself. Like I stated earlier, most stores don't enforce it, but it's left up to the store manager to make the final decision. Next time you might want to try to learn a few facts before accusing me of lying!

I wonder if this will change the opinion of any of the folks that got all bent out of shape at Target?

They only requested, they don't have an actual rule regarding it.

I shop at Walmart, I shop where things are cheap and it is easy to me. I try not to let my politics flavour the opinions others might have on me, and I try not to allow someone else's politics to flavour my opinion of them. So long as we can all go our own separate ways without conflict.

That was not wanted nor needed. I was shopping in the Tullahoma wal-mart yesterday after church with my fiancee and her son when some guy came up behid me and told me i might ought to adjust my shirt to cover my gun. I was wearing slacks, dress shirt dress shoes and my shield was tucked in the back pants using my versacarry holster( yes i have one of these). Never had a problem with anyone telling me i needed to cover up ( as this is a HCP, not a conceal state). Fiancee was a little tiffed at the guy for sticking his nose in it and then telling us Wal-mart has a policy on weapons in the back of the store. I told the guy, walmart is not posted where they need to be if they really don't like weapons in their store. They probably won't, since that might keep some people from wanting to shop there.

Yes i was really not bothered by this, thanked the guy but told him its ok.

Then he told me after the incident saturday( bomb was found in the garden area of tullahoma walmart) found to be non explosive yet had all the components aside from explosives to work, that walmart might not want me to shop with a gun on my person.

I'm sorry but i have the permit to carry, i can't rely on those cameras to protect me when i leave their store to get in my vehicle.

When I was a cop, we called badges shields.  So when I first read your post, first thing I thought was oh no, a HCP holder with one of those badges!  Lol. Then I realized you were talking about a S&W Shield!  I agree with you. The guy was probably trying to be helpful, but maybe should mind his own business.

Guy should have minded his own business but that is the cost of open carrying. Though I will say, generally speaking most people are very non-observant. I was in Oak Ridge Walmart the other day and carrying a medium sized fixed blade (8.5" blade). Quite visible on my hip since my shirt was tucked in. I was actually trying to figure out if the sheath was what I wanted. Anyways, one of ths stock guys sees me walking around, up and down his aisle a few times both ways. Then he ask if I have a knife. I hand him the fixed blade and he looked shocked and asked where it came from...... So most of the time alot of people won't even notice your firearm.