Keurig - If you don't have one, you need one!

PackinMama

For me a french press is the only way to go. Sure I drink substandard coffee in a pinch, but only in a pinch. Unfortunately, I've gone through several carafes in the past few years. I love them, but they are so delicate. Finally, I found a stainless steel french press by Thermos. Life is good!

I just looked up the Thermos press. Very nice!

How "dirty" is the cup? My wife wants an Aeropress or a Chemex because they are supposed to be "smooth" and "clean" without any of the grind passing through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are both very smooth and clean, for sure. The Aeropress only makes a cup at a time, so that may be a consideration. However, it takes only about 30 seconds to make a cup once your water is at temp, so if you're not the type to be in a hurry for a cup, that may not be an issue for you. Water temp is critical for making an outstanding cup of coffee with both of these methods. 

I have one of these but generally it's too much faffing about

41RRhLDlNxL.jpg

And despite the claims of the foodie who recommended it to me, it doesn't really taste any better than a French Press. Cool to see in action though.

Ah, the good ole coffee bong! I still have one of these, albeit the plastic version from Bodum. I loved using it at work because people would always be like, "What the heck is that thing?"

• Like 2

I am just guessing that some of yall wont know what this or how to use it, Percolator pot.
I use a drippier (Bunn) style every day, but the Percolator pot comes out when the power goes out.

An old school coffee pot with arbuckles or similar is the best coffe ever made. Hot enough to melt a horseshoe and strong enough to straighten it. My wife has one of the big professional models she got through some deal at work. She usually makes a cup every other day of some sweet lil wanna be coffee drink. It doesnt work for me, I usually drink 3-4 8 cup pots a day, I'd go broke using a Keurig. My dads the same way, he has drank 30-40 cups of coffee a day all my life.

Keurig is great for a quick cuppa - beats instant coffee hands down.  Plus it makes tea or hot chocolate.

But, I'm old fashioned I guess - I prefer fresh-ground Colombian from a drip or percolator pot. 

Turkish coffee is one of my favorites, but it's a bit time-consuming to make.

• Moderators

An old school coffee pot with arbuckles or similar is the best coffe ever made. Hot enough to melt a horseshoe and strong enough to straighten it. My wife has one of the big professional models she got through some deal at work. She usually makes a cup every other day of some sweet lil wanna be coffee drink. It doesnt work for me, I usually drink 3-4 8 cup pots a day, I'd go broke using a Keurig. My dads the same way, he has drank 30-40 cups of coffee a day all my life.

Caffeinated I presume?

Do they have to start an IV in the morning for you to wakeup? :snore:

Caffeinated I presume?

Do they have to start an IV in the morning for you to wakeup? :snore:

Yeah caffenited. Decaf isn't even coffee. When I was growing up we didnt drink soda. We drank water, milk, and once we were older coffee. You can only drink so much water and milk. Dad is a heavy coffee drinker so the habit came natural
  • Moderators

Yeah caffenited. Decaf isn't even coffee. When I was growing up we didnt drink soda. We drank water, milk, and once we were older coffee. You can only drink so much water and milk. Dad is a heavy coffee drinker so the habit came natural

I don't care to drink a nice caffeinated even at 10:00PM or later (I sleep just fine even then), but that's a lot of coffee!

That's always fun to see.  Back in 2007, our BN TOC got in a brand new coffee maker to replace the aged silver bullet.  It was one of those models that has a warmer on top, so you can brew a second pot and still keep another one warm...the kind you see at Waffle House.  Long story short, that new coffee maker lasted all of 15 minutes out of the box before one of the Joe's plugged it straight into the 220 strip, not the converter box.

Our S-3 NCOIC was pissed.

Why are they not using the correct connectors? There's little excuse for 220V on a standard US 110V socket unless a dumb adaptor is being used.

Edited by tnguy

This is my emergency coffee pot for when power goes out. I have a 2 burner Camp stove that operates on 1 lb bottle of propane and it makes great coffee but then in an emergency any cup of hot coffee is a great cup of coffee.............jmho

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Misc/Picture034_zps81d8c9c9.jpg.html]Picture034_zps81d8c9c9.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/softbaitmaker/media/Misc/Picture033_zps3ae32f7d.jpg.html]Picture033_zps3ae32f7d.jpg[/URL]

• Admin Team

I have to go to Louisiana in a couple of weeks.  I'm sure I'll have a little chicory coffee while there.  I don't think I could drink it everyday but it's nice for something different.  That seems to be the only place I run into it.

Publix sells a "French Market" branded chicory coffee in a red can.  I'm kind of a coffee snob, but this is a go to coffee for me when I want an honest-to-goodness strong cup off coffee with some legs to it.  It's great stuff and definitely worth checking out.

Café du Monde is great when you're in the Quarter, and honestly, I could start every morning sitting there reading my paper, eating beignets and drinking a nice cup of chicory infused café au lait.  Community Coffee is right around the corner from there as well.  Both have good chicory blends that are available locally, but the French Market brand is hands down the best.

• Like 1

I have to go to Louisiana in a couple of weeks. I'm sure I'll have a little chicory coffee while there. I don't think I could drink it everyday but it's nice for something different. That seems to be the only place I run into it.

Coffee with chickory is great, it's my usual. Publix carries it.

Publix sells a "French Market" branded chicory coffee in a red can.  I'm kind of a coffee snob, but this is a go to coffee for me when I want an honest-to-goodness strong cup off coffee with some legs to it.  It's great stuff and definitely worth checking out.

Café du Monde is great when you're in the Quarter, and honestly, I could start every morning sitting there reading my paper, eating beignets and drinking a nice cup of chicory infused café au lait.  Community Coffee is right around the corner from there as well.  Both have good chicory blends that are available locally, but the French Market brand is hands down the best.

I've been to Cafe du Monde a few times.  Great place.  Too bad it's in N.O.  Although I'll pass through N.O., I'll be working a bit further south.  Fresh seafood with chicory coffee for desert, mmmmmmmm.

There's no Publix near where I live but I'll keep my eye open for the French Market brand.

Why are they not using the correct connectors? There's little excuse for 220V on a standard US 110V socket unless a dumb adaptor is being used.

We bought these cheap power strips that you could plug any US, UK or Euro type into from the local economy.  Not quite the safest things, but they get the job done when you're mixing and matching the equipment you brought from home station with.  Since a lot of our stuff was dual voltage, the kid just had a brain fart and forgot to check.

Or, he just really didn't want to make coffee anymore.  He was one of the ones in our TOC that had that responsibility. 

Edited by btq96r
  • Admin Team

I've been to Cafe du Monde a few times.  Great place.  Too bad it's in N.O.  Although I'll pass through N.O., I'll be working a bit further south.  Fresh seafood with chicory coffee for desert, mmmmmmmm.

There's no Publix near where I live but I'll keep my eye open for the French Market brand.

Shoot me your address.  I'll send you a can.

We bought these cheap power strips that you could plug any US, UK or Euro type into from the local economy.  Not quite the safest things, but they get the job done when you're mixing and matching the equipment you brought from home station with.  Since a lot of our stuff was dual voltage, the kid just had a brain fart and forgot to check.

Or, he just really didn't want to make coffee anymore.  He was one of the ones in our TOC that had that responsibility. 

Ouch, I've seen some of those. I just kinda assumed the military would be using correct gear. You know how that saying goes...

I've been looking into the sockets recently as I brought a 240V (3KW) kettle back from the UK on my recent vacation and am looking at getting it wired in safely. You guys are finally starting to get a decent kettles, they're just a bit underpowered.

A Keurig was in every office and command post when I was in Afghanistan for a year.  Some broke, some didn't.  Some guys had the k-cups, others had their preferred brands in the special adapter cups.  Some guys swore by them, others swore at them. 

In the end, it's just another way to make coffee.  A new idea here, a new feature there, it's all about getting you to buy a new product to do the same thing you've done for years.  When they figure out a way to have an iced coffee with flavor mixed in come out of the spout, I'll be impressed.  I hate having to either do all that myself or get some at Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts.

Your in luck, they have it.  Green Mountain Coffee gave us a bunch of French Vanilla Iced Coffee k-cups, you're supposed to brew them over ice but its not my thing so I used them hot.

Simple answer is that Joe doesn't understand that most of the world runs on different voltage than the U.S. Many power strips found in Iraq and Afghanistan (on the base Hadji marts) will plug into a 220 style outlet, yet allow for a U.S. style plug to enter its ports. For most power supplies which go to gaming systems and computers (two of the most common things that Joe plugs in) they can operate 110-220. Joe becomes complacent, because that is what the POG does, and he plugs in a Kuerig without using a step down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk