Keurig - If you don't have one, you need one!

PackinMama

I went over to my sister's house about a week ago to visit.  She made me a cup of coffee with her Keurig coffee maker.

The next day, I had one sitting on my kitchen counter!  What an absolutely amazing and wonderful thing this is!!!

So who else here knows of the incredible and abundant joy that this machine will bring to your life?!!! :D

Seriously, if you have not experienced the absolutely delicious coffee that this machine makes, you need to treat yourself!

I like Emeril's Big Easy Bold and Tully's Italian Roast. Both are excellent (and STRONG!)!!!  What are some of your favorites?

Have had one for several years. My favorite is the Gevalia signature blend (pictured below) for non-flavored coffee. My flavored go-to is Butter Toffee, not sure who makes it though. Around our house though, the standard K-cup is usually whatever CostCo has in bulk for cheap. The wife adds enough cream and Splenda that she's not drinking coffee anyway. I definitely recommend buying the cups when they're on sale, and joining the Keurig coffee club (for discounts/coupons). I also bought a 3rd party reusable mesh K-cup you can put your own grounds in for when I want a brew that doesn't come in K-cups.
F2A6843F-1198-417E-A4DE-7737477A2265_zps

• Like 1

Keurig seems to be being pushed by WM at the moment. However, I already had a Senseo for several years and the pods are significantly cheaper than the k-cups. The Senseo has been rocking like a champ and I have a spare in reserve (Philips had a deal for a while where you just paid the shipping) but when it's time for something new, I'm going to go for this one which can do cups, pods or straight ground coffee and gets better reviews than the Keurig machines.

http://www.amazon.com/MCU-Single-Multi-Use-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B009PLQ5H2

61-8f4W8juL._SL1190_.jpg

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1

I love a good cup myself.  I picked up the habit in Europe.  Unfortunately, they're right about our coffee and beer tasting watered down.  I have a Gaggia espresso machine that will use the coffee pods with the right attachment but I've never tried one.  I kind of enjoy the process of grinding the coffee, getting a proper tamp, and extracting the delicious brew.  Yes, this machine has provided me the "incredible and abundant joy" of which you speak. 

If all you're used to is regular drip coffee, I'm certain the Keurig coffee maker is a vast improvement.  It's a slippery slope though.  I think the Keurig is like a gateway coffee machine.  It can get you hooked.  Soon you'll be wanting a more expensive machine so you can experiment with blends of beans, the proper grind with different beans, achieving a proper tamp for the particular grind, and getting the extraction just right with the perfect creama.

Congratulations on finding the difference between coffee and really good coffee.  There's no turning back.

• Like 1

I bought the adapter so we don't have to use the K cups anymore. The only time we buy them is when family is visiting because it's easier.

Keurig's are known to break after a year or less but ours has been going strong for 3.5. I hear their customer service is pretty good though.

• Like 1
Guess I'm the oddball, I had one and gave it away. Making a large cup of coffee just resulted in it being watered down, and my coffee cup wouldn't fit the machine anyway. I wasn't impressed.

I make a full pot with the Bunn once a day, then occasionally make a smaller cup with the French press.

Got one last year, and while I will buy the k-cups when on sale/clearance, we have the re-usable k-cup filters and I usually just grind up some fresh coffee beans and go.

No leaks no problems, but I suspect that these are not really designed for use in a break room where they may get hundreds of uses a day.

Just got an order in from https://maithaicoffee.com/ and their coffee is wonderful.  I buy the whole beans and grind when I'm ready for a cup :)

• Like 1

Wife has one.  It's okay if you only want 1 or 2 small cups of coffee each morning.  In the cooler months I prefer to take my Stanley thermos to work filled with coffee everyday.  Good luck brewing a quart of coffee with a Keurig.  I too use the reusable pods when I do use the Keurig.  Would not be worth having for my coffee drinking habits.

Gosh this place is full of coffee connoisseurs for sure. Now me I guess I stand out in this crowd. I have a Mr Coffee with an automatic timer on it which brews me up a great strong cup of Folgers Custom Roast that I buy on sale at Sam's and the canister says it make 380 cups of great coffee. Mr Coffee is about 11 years old and works great. It says it makes 12 cups but their cups and my cups just don't match up so really it makes 8.................. :pleased: :pleased: :pleased:

• Like 2

I'll stick to  my 1qt french press, it makes some pretty darn good coffee.

That's how I roll. Definitely is the easiest way to get good coffee. 

I don't drink coffee unless it's spelled "Kahlua", but my wife swears by her Chemex (http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com) You can make it as strong as you want and you can control the temperature of the water better so you don't get the bitter flavor (this all according to my wife.)

I've had coffee from Chemex or similar setups. It was outstanding! The only thing, in my opinion, that comes close is the AeroPress and a temperature controlled water heater. In fact, I'd have to do a side by side comparison to determine which is better. 

Gosh this place is full of coffee connoisseurs for sure. Now me I guess I stand out in this crowd. I have a Mr Coffee with an automatic timer on it which brews me up a great strong cup of Folgers Custom Roast that I buy on sale at Sam's and the canister says it make 380 cups of great coffee. Mr Coffee is about 11 years old and works great. It says it makes 12 cups but their cups and my cups just don't match up so really it makes 8.................. :pleased: :pleased: :pleased:

I view coffee in much the same way I view guns, motorcycles, and beer. It really doesn't matter what you drink as long as you like it and it works for you. 

• Like 2

That's how I roll. Definitely is the easiest way to get good coffee.

I've had coffee from Chemex or similar setups. It was outstanding! The only thing, in my opinion, that comes close is the AeroPress and a temperature controlled water heater. In fact, I'd have to do a side by side comparison to determine which is better.

I view coffee in much the same way I view guns, motorcycles, and beer. It really doesn't matter what you drink as long as you like it and it works for you.

Mom's Technivorm is at least as good as the French press if you want to drop some cash on a coffee machine. I bought hers as a gift, don't think I'd spend that on myself.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

I have been very heavily considering getting a "Moka Pot". You can buy them locally at TJ Max or HomeGoods for $10, but Bialetti is the trusted brand from what I can tell and the local cheaper ones are knock-offs. My research shows that they have potential to make great coffee/expresso but take practice and experience.
Any experience with one?

61s2pDunk9L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lim8HacSka4

Edited by CZ9MM

For me a french press is the only way to go. Sure I drink substandard coffee in a pinch, but only in a pinch. Unfortunately, I've gone through several carafes in the past few years. I love them, but they are so delicate. Finally, I found a stainless steel french press by Thermos. Life is good!

• Like 2
  • Moderators

I got hooked on these when I was in Italy. You'll love it. Sorry about that I was replying to CZ9MM I plead being old,

I guess my only concern is that they are typically made of aluminum. Now, I'm not one to worry about most things but I believe aluminmum has been shown have a link to alhzheimers.

Other than that, can you go into more detail about your experience with them?

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 1

For me a french press is the only way to go. Sure I drink substandard coffee in a pinch, but only in a pinch. Unfortunately, I've gone through several carafes in the past few years. I love them, but they are so delicate. Finally, I found a stainless steel french press by Thermos. Life is good!

I prefer a french press, but I usually just use a keurig because of how quick and easy it is vs. a french press.

• Like 2