Here's an excerpt from an ad we'll be seeing a lot of shortly.

Remember the hillside proverb.... "...The sun don't shine on the same hound's a** all the time..."... Kinda looks ta me like the sun is movin around a bit... I'm glad to see it...

As to the "horder/re-sellers"; the hell with them...I will never get the idea that says ya ought to hoard a commodity that your brother may need or want with the idea of holding him up; and calling it "free enterprise" and "capitalism in action"... The truth is that it is ethically bankrupt; right up there with ambulance chasin...

Alternately; if ya got caught up in the "buying frenzy" because ya thought that there wuz gonna be no more 22; that's a valuable lesson as well... We've seen the cyclic demand for ammo and components for years; don't be too quick to be stampeded into buying too much stuff for too high a price...

Havin said all that; greg; im with you... HEHEHEHE... Remember the old hillside proverb... What goes round comes round...

leroy

Remember the hillside proverb.... "...The sun don't shine on the same hound's a** all the time..."... Kinda looks ta me like the sun is movin around a bit... I'm glad to see it...

As to the "horder/re-sellers"; the hell with them...I will never get the idea that says ya ought to hoard a commodity that your brother may need or want with the idea of holding him up; and calling it "free enterprise" and "capitalism in action"... The truth is that it is ethically bankrupt; right up there with ambulance chasin...

Alternately; if ya got caught up in the "buying frenzy" because ya thought that there wuz gonna be no more 22; that's a valuable lesson as well... We've seen the cyclic demand for ammo and components for years; don't be too quick to be stampeded into buying too much stuff for too high a price...

Havin said all that; greg; im with you... HEHEHEHE... Remember the old hillside proverb... What goes round comes round...

leroy

Isn't that what all businesses do? Isn't that what all investors do? Do they not position themselves to get the most return on their money as possible?

Isn't that what all businesses do? Isn't that what all investors do? Do they not position themselves to get the most return on their money as possible?

Businesses make or sell a product at a price point the consumer will buy at...Those buyers make a decision to buy or not buy based on price and quality... More than that, the seller aint the only game in town; there are other sellers selling a comparable product at a comparable price point...

Horders/re-sellers are taking advantage of an unfortunate event (...shortage of a product...) and are exploiting the willing to the detriment of the purchaser... There's a big difference in these two concepts...

We can quibble about the difference in selling to people who either think they are in a bind or are actually in one, and taking advantage of their real or imagined situation ALA the "....break your leg, high risk loan shark or used car sale business..." or even the Mayo ...Clinic "...we sell the only cancer medicine ya can use here if we treat ya..." thing; but at the end of the day and in the quiet of the nite; you know what is ethical because ya have a conscience...  

There is a big difference between the willing buyer and willing seller idea; and the "under duress" buyer who needs (...or thinks he needs something...) and the bandit who picks his pocket... Is it legal..? yeah it is.... Is it ethical..?  nahi dont think so; your mileage may vary...

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1

True to an extent. I believe we all have the expectation of that being the case with "legitimate Businesses'.

Where  the situation seems to differ is the connotation that is gotten from the "secondary market sales."

People who indulge it that as a part-time, fast buck, prey on the general public/buyer sort of enterprise seem to be more thought of as scummy bottom feeders taking advantage of the market to benefit on the scarcity of a desired item.

And truthfully, some of them are. But...some aren't.

I think we attach this stigma to those who have what we want and can't readily get when we want it.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not defending those who do this and try for the 1000% return on an item.

Just saying that there are degrees within this.

Don't tell me you haven't bought anything ever in your life with the intent to hopefully make a profit.

The difference seems to be in the way some go about it and the amount of "reasonable/unrealistic" return wanted on the item.

Heck. In the 80's, when I was still in the comic, action figure, and toy market. I was doing the same thing.

Going to all the stores and finding all the hot figures, limited release, and 1 to a case figures. I went to comic and toy shows, comic shops, etc., and sold them.

It was a supply and demand thing. I had the supply, someone else had the demand portion of the equation. Did I make a profit? Yes. Was I hated and scorned like now back then? No.

Is that really any different than what is going on now? So what is the difference? The product? The times?

Maybe only in matters of degree. Or is it just because of it being a product that is now more widely know and used by a greater portion of the buying public?

Again, is it the attempt to profit, or the attempt to unfairly/ unjustly benefit from the wants/needs of others that sets off the rage and disdain from us all toward these sellers?

Just my thoughts. Nothing more.

Addendum.  Leroy's post beat me in. I type and think so very slowly. He says very well what I was attempting to get across.

Edited by hipower

Businesses make or sell a product at a price point the consumer will buy at...Those buyers make a decision to buy or not buy based on price and quality... More than that, the seller aint the only game in town; there are other sellers selling a comparable product at a comparable price point...

Horders/re-sellers are taking advantage of an unfortunate event (...shortage of a product...) and are exploiting the willing to the detriment of the purchaser... There's a big difference in these two concepts...

We can quibble about the difference in selling to people who either think they are in a bind or are actually in one, and taking advantage of their real or imagined situation ALA the "....break your leg, high risk loan shark or used car sale business..." or even the Mayo ...Clinic "...we sell the only cancer medicine ya can use here if we treat ya..." thing; but at the end of the day and in the quiet of the nite; you know what is ethical because ya have a conscience...  

There is a big difference between the willing buyer and willing seller idea; and the "under duress" buyer who needs (...or thinks he needs something...) and the bandit who picks his pocket... Is it legal..? yeah it is.... Is it ethical..?  nahi dont think so; your mileage may vary...

leroy

They are doing the same thing, and consumers have a choice to buy or not. I see this as no different than the oil speculators no matter whether I like it or not. I wait for poetic justice to hit them. That's my satisfaction.

Well Greg, I have looked at it and read it a couple times now and I am going to throw a guess out there that the person that posted the ad or thread or what ever it is, I'm guessing the person does not even own a 22 rifle or pistol and was just in it to screw folks.  Anyone that is a shooter does not call them 22 shells. It's either  I have a bunch of 22lr's or I have some 22lr ammo to sell or something of that nature. Who else here calls them 22 shells?...................jmho

I've got a bunch of 22 shells that I paid too much for, but know that first I'll never shoot it all, and second I'll never get what I invested back out of it.

Well Greg, I have looked at it and read it a couple times now and I am going to throw a guess out there that the person that posted the ad or thread or what ever it is, I'm guessing the person does not even own a 22 rifle or pistol and was just in it to screw folks.  Anyone that is a shooter does not call them 22 shells. It's either  I have a bunch of 22lr's or I have some 22lr ammo to sell or something of that nature. Who else here calls them 22 shells?...................jmho

Valid points, but I remember my grandpa calling them shells, and seems like I heard it a lot growing up. But that was a long time ago.

Valid points, but I remember my grandpa calling them shells, and seems like I heard it a lot growing up. But that was a long time ago.

My Grand father called them bullets if he wanted 22lr's and if he ask for shells you knew he was taking his 12 gauge.......... :rofl:  :rofl: 

Maybe some time soon I will get my .22 pistols and rifles out of the back of the safe

once I can get some std. velocity stored back up  my Anschutz  and Browning don't get fed the HS stuff  I still have a few pounds of remmy High speeds but the CCI Match is kinda thin..

I've got a buddy who has been an ammo hoarder for years. Every time he sees ammo at a fair price, he'll pick up 2-4 boxes. If he has a house fire, yikes.

But he is not an opportunistic reseller.
When he divested of .380 handguns he sold all his .380 at the height of the panic for 10% more than he paid (to cover tax and stamp)

When someone buys from a wholeseller or other supplier and over charges, I ignore it.

When someone buys from the same store shelve that I could have bought from and then over charges b/c it was the last available, it pisses me off.

they're trash.  jmho

• Like 1