Traveling with someone that may have marijuana for work.

This might not be a common issue for many in their jobs, and I am most certainly not opposed to marijuana.. But.....

When traveling in buses, vans, and cars with musicians frequently for out of town gigs there's almost at least one person carrying marijuana on them. It's almost unavoidable.

If I am carrying concealed legally during travel for work and we are pulled over, what are the potential issues that could arise if weed is found on somebody in the vehicle?

Would it be bad news bears for the whole vehicle or just for the person it's on? Also, as a passenger do I have to/need to inform the officer that I'm armed?

I assume I would be at risk of losing my carry permit and being charged, but do I have to be if I'm just employed by the artist and have no other affiliation with the people?

^^^^  This. Sometimes choices are hard to make, but in the long run you will benefit.  Find a good gospel / Christian rock group to travel with.

Example -  I know a guy who used to travel with Skillet, now a senior producer at Universal Studios, and very happy.

Edited by R_Bert

How many of those traveling with you are going to tell law enforcement that the illegal drugs found, belong to them?

Most of the people I work with are good folks and would own up to it.

I appreciate y'all's replies but it's not as easy as just hopping on the road and playing with Christian bands and gospel groups. Also, I speak from personal experience when I say that a ton of those popular Christian artists and their band members indulge in more than just booze.

It's an occupational hazard in the music business, and if I skipped out on every high paying gig because someone might have weed on them I would have zero work. It's an incredibly accepted vice in the music industry.

It would be hard to put any band together without one or more of the musicians with weed in his pocket. You need to talk to a criminal lawyer and get some real advice. As you know, they're not very serious about chasing down users in Davidson County. That changes when you leave town.

• Like 5

^^^^  This. Sometimes choices are hard to make, but in the long run you will benefit.  Find a good gospel / Christian rock group to travel with.

bwaaaaaah aaa haahaaahaaa!! .... traveled with very many Christian music groups, have you?   :)

-glad your friend had a good experience.

OP - First off, no matter what don't do things that would get your bus pulled over!   :)  ...AND remember that different states have different laws.  In some states, you may have to inform an officer, in others (such as Tennessee), you are not required to inform unless asked.

You might ask around about case law, tour buses, and weed (I know there is a Willie Nelson case!).  In a tour bus, they may view you and others as legitiment co-workers. **In a car, you will most likely be treated as close acquaintances.

This is a tough nut to crack.  You may never run into a problem, but if you ever do find the law, some (illegal) weed, and your concealed handgun in the same room, you are probably going to have a not-fun day.

**edit - I just tuned in to the "and cars" part.  Yes, in that case, if you know they are going to have weed, leave yourself and the gun at home if possible.  There is not a lot of "wiggle room" in that scenario.

Edited by Peace
Your questions depend on many factors. The amount of drugs, where they were found, the state you are in and the discretion of the Officer.

But you risk more than losing your permit. Court isn’t held on the street and you can be arrested for just about anything. Then it’s up to the DA to file charges. You would have attorney fees even if you aren’t charged. You could have substantial attorney’s fees and risk conviction/jail time if you are charged.

Drugs and guns can carry heavy penalties and some Officers that might let some pot slide may not do so if a gun is involved. If I suspected/knew I was traveling in a vehicle with drugs; I wouldn’t carry.
  • Like 5

bwaaaaaah aaa haahaaahaaa!! .... traveled with very many Christian music groups, have you?   :)

-glad your friend had a good experience.

OP - First off, no matter what don't do things that would get your bus pulled over!   :)  ...AND remember that different states have different laws.  In some states, you may have to inform an officer, in others (such as Tennessee), you are not required to inform unless asked.

You might ask around about case law, tour buses, and weed (I know there is a Willie Nelson case!).  In a tour bus, they may view you and others as legitiment co-workers. **In a car, you will most likely be treated as close acquaintances.

This is a tough nut to crack.  You may never run into a problem, but if you ever do find the law, some (illegal) weed, and your concealed handgun in the same room, you are probably going to have a not-fun day.

**edit - I just tuned in to the "and cars" part.  Yes, in that case, if you know they are going to have weed, leave yourself and the gun at home if possible.  There is not a lot of "wiggle room" in that scenario.

nice.

Not everyone is as jaundiced as you seem to be.  Great job of lifting a kid up.

Phenomenal life lesson inferred.  "The ends justify the means".

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

aww now.   :) It's relevant.  He needs to have both eyes open; the truth can hurt (and doesn't always come from massive amounts of bilirubin).  There are some good folks out there, but life is hard, and being a chicken on stage is tough on some folks - especially being a christian chicken on stage (you have to dance a certain way).  

Everybody copes with it some way.  Some folks deal with it well... others find ways to cope that don't fit the message, but rarely does anyone have a place where they can talk about it in a truly safe space and get help.

OP - take care of yourself.  Whatever your religious/social persuasion - whatever your genre of music, find folks to make a life with - the kind of folks you want your (future?) kids to learn from.  Travel with them; make music with them.  Make a life that you love.  It'll be worth it.

Edited by Peace
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Guest S4boost
I agree that you should talk to an attorney. I've put a call in to mine to discuss my defense if I ever need him. That would be a great question to ask.

My initial thought is that your rights as a lawful gun owner will go out the window. They may even want to seize your firearm
Guest S4boost

if you gotta carry then carry.  

You are not responsible for what is someone elses or what someone else does..  They cannot and will not try to pin that on you.

Although you're probably right, I think it's a situation not worth testing. By being a CCW holder, you want the police to think you're on their side. The whole "law abiding citizen" things come into play. And although it's not in his pocket, you know what they say about the bad apple.
I think carrying a weapon concealed puts you in a category away from and above the rest rest of society, with great power comes great responsibility. Drinking and drugs should come second when you want your firearm by your side.

I just visited the thread to figure out the whole "traveling with weed for work" thing.  Turns out the thread title was misleading, otherwise it sounded pretty Miami Vice.

I was just wondering if they had any openings :tough:

• Like 1

This might not be a common issue for many in their jobs, and I am most certainly not opposed to marijuana.. But.....

When traveling in buses, vans, and cars with musicians frequently for out of town gigs there's almost at least one person carrying marijuana on them. It's almost unavoidable.

If I am carrying concealed legally during travel for work and we are pulled over, what are the potential issues that could arise if weed is found on somebody in the vehicle?

Would it be bad news bears for the whole vehicle or just for the person it's on? Also, as a passenger do I have to/need to inform the officer that I'm armed?

I assume I would be at risk of losing my carry permit and being charged, but do I have to be if I'm just employed by the artist and have no other affiliation with the people?

I'm surprised nobody asked why anyone is consenting to a search in the first place. Getting pulled over for speeding or failing to signal a lane change does not give PC to search the bus. 

• Like 1
Guest S4boost

I'm surprised nobody asked why anyone is consenting to a search in the first place. Getting pulled over for speeding or failing to signal a lane change does not give PC to search the bus.

Whatever happened to cooperating with the police... Is that not a thing anymore? Edited by S4boost
  • Administrator

Whatever happened to cooperating with the police... Is that not a thing anymore?

It's an interesting schism in the firearms community.  I'd say almost 50/50 based on what I have seen over the years.  Some folks are cooperative.  Other folks tend to be less trusting.

Guest S4boost
Yea I mean. I'll revert to a previous statement. With great power comes great responsibility. Shouldn't we be leading by example? We aren't above the law anymore than the next guy. I thought we were all on the same side. Edited by S4boost

Yea I mean. I'll revert to a previous statement. With great power comes great responsibility. Shouldn't we be leading by example? We aren't above the law anymore than the next guy. I thought we were all on the same side.

Depends on what you mean by "cooperating", if you're involved are you going to talk to the police directly or ask to see/speak to your attorney before proceeding?

When your attorney advises you to "keep your trap shut" are you going to listen to them or "cooperate" b/c I guarantee an officer is going to consider you uncooperative if you lawyer up and don't speak in most circumstances.

Edited by 2.ooohhh