Chicken wing bones in backyard.

I am sporadically finding chicken wings in my backyard, and my rescue dog, although well trained in most areas, is poorly trained with eating shit he finds in the backyard. He usually drops things when I tell him to but will not drop these damn wings.

Bones can be harmful to dogs, though and I know that. This has been happening on and off for 6 months. Is it possible someone is being malicious and throwing them in my backyard to try and harm my dog? Or am I just being paranoid?

How do I approach my neighbors in a sensitive way about not throwing their damn used wings in my backyard? I say sensitive, because there is a stereotype with black people and eating wings. I hate political correctness.

Are they always in the same general vicinity in your yard?  How big of yard are we talking?  Is it obvious which neighbor it is?

If it was me and the answers to those questions are yes, I would probably put up a trail camera in the area if possible and try to catch them in the act.  Then go have a talk with them.  

It wouldn't surprise me if they think they are giving the dog "treats".  Some people are clueless when it comes to the danger of bones and dogs.

• Like 1
Go over and start talking with the heads of the household, general talk so they can feel you out then try to narrow down the days you found said wings in your yard. Follow it up explaining how chicken bones splitter like needles causing a choking hazard to your dog that your trying to find out how they are ending up in your backyard. Hopefully it works out, because if my dog has issues because of what my neighbor did - they'll know I've gone to level 10 with no warning. People around me see me as passive, maybe a pushover until it's go time -then they don't know what hit them.

I really wish good outcome for you and your buddy.
The good news (according to what I heard) is that they're taking the chickens so young these days that splintering is not really an issue. With that said, I wouldn't give them to my dog and you probably need to get it sorted in any case. I'd probably just talk directly to the neighbors with a "I'm not sure where they're coming from" and throw in some "I though maybe someone was just trying to be nice but didn't realize the risks". More than likely it's a kid doing it anyway.

Might also be worth mentioning that he's a rescue dog and it interferes with his training (even if that means stretching the truth a little). This all depends on the neighbor in question giving a damn, of course.

I am sporadically finding chicken wings in my backyard, and my rescue dog, although well trained in most areas, is poorly trained with eating #### he finds in the backyard. He usually drops things when I tell him to but will not drop these damn wings.

Bones can be harmful to dogs, though and I know that. This has been happening on and off for 6 months. Is it possible someone is being malicious and throwing them in my backyard to try and harm my dog? Or am I just being paranoid?

How do I approach my neighbors in a sensitive way about not throwing their damn used wings in my backyard? I say sensitive, because there is a stereotype with black people and eating wings. I hate political correctness.

Well you do have a "suspicious mind", I would go with the cam.

I have heard of people feeding their dogs chicken bones also but they don't feed them any of the bones with a ball joint such as leg bones, thigh bones and wing bones because they are the ones with the most chance of splintering. Breast bones, neck bones are what most that do give to their dogs because they will not splinter. That is why I am glad my dog will not eat anything that is not on her plate or in her bowl. I give her snacks like Alpo Square biscuits and she loves them along with her beef jerky treats. Best part is my friends have all tried to give her biscuits and Jerky and she will not take it from anyone but me. I raised her that way from her puppy days and it amazes my friends that she ill not take snacks from  them and they have all know her most of her life.

I sincerely hope you find out how the bones are getting in your yard and you get the issue resolved peacefully.................. :up: :up:

Are there any stray dogs in the area ?

That would be my topic starter for the neighbor if so.

As in "hey guys, have you been seeing any odd bones turn up in your yard " ?

Or

"Hey guys, has anything been digging in your trash " ?

It might take some doing but I would find a way to get them bones into the conversation.
  • Like 1

uncooked chicken parts are safe for dogs to eat. Cooked bones will splinter and lodge in the dogs throat,possibly having to have a trip to vet and huge bill. We used to feed a raw diet to some of my working dogs until we downsized and no longer train/work our dogs.

Yeah I know that we used to feed cooked bones to our dogs as we were growing up,but they now say don't do it.

Cooked chicken bones splinter.

I am a X breeder......I never have fed my animals commercial dog food.  I make my own....my labs eat RAW....beef... chicken..giblets..I do cook the veggies....... do not cook chicken the bones splinter.   My labs never sick....teeth snow white......very few parisites.  If you ever knew what and how they make dog food......its no wonder they get sick....dogs ae desendents of wolfs....they dont need ...wheat ....corn.....barley! 

Read this book...."Raw Dog Food" by.... Carina Beth Macdonald.

Edited by Ron_TN