truck thermostat question (stuck open)

vontar

First, yes I know I need to repair this.

Question, if the thermostat is stuck in an option position causing an engine to not get up to full temp, can it actually hurt an engine or anything?

It appears mine is not getting to full temp and I actually had a check engine code that said something along the lines of "Insufficient Coolant Temperature"

my gauge is moving but not all the way to normal

(I know I have had cars in the past with no thermostat what so ever and they ran fine, except in winter I could almost never get enough heat for the heater.) 

My truck is not low on fluid (completely full) and I do have enough heat for the heater to work, but probably not as hot as it should be.

Depending on the year model this can cause progressive damage. Not reaching operating temp prevents the engine from going into closed loop operation. This will damage the converter. It will also reduce fuel economy. Don't know what kind of truck but easy fix with no upside to not repairing.
  • Like 2

I do plan to repair it soon, but may need to wait a month or so,  we are putting in some money into my wife's car at the moment, and with Christmas bills coming due, it just isn't in the budget for now.  Going to try to plan this for Feb.

Modern engines are computer controlled and adjusts fuel rate, timing, EGR  and many other things to keep everything running properly.  These adjustments are dicated by various sensors which keep it up to date on the engine's condition. Engine temperature is one of the primary inputs in this system. Prolonged running of the vehicle with the engine too cool can possably lead to a mutitude of problems as other systems constantly try to compensate. 

In short, it comfuses the computer and brain farts may result.  :screwy:

• Like 1

Modern engines are computer controlled and adjusts fuel rate, timing, EGR  and many other things to keep everything running properly.  These adjustments are dicated by various sensors which keep it up to date on the engine's condition. Engine temperature is one of the primary inputs in this system. Prolonged running of the vehicle with the engine too cool can possably lead to a mutitude of problems as other systems constantly try to compensate. 

In short, it comfuses the computer and brain farts may result.  :screwy:

Like what Grayfox said if it has a computer I would not recommend it. If it is carbed  however it should not matter that much. I had a old 350 in an S10 for a while and I had my thermostat go bad the other way and stick closed. I had to open it with the screwdriver method and that worked til I could get it home. I then took it out and forgot about it til about the middle of January when I wondered why my heat did not work like it used to I then remembered that I did not have one in there but the S10 ran fin for the time without one. So it all depends on if you got a computer changing things in there.

Edited by justinjr21

Some of the comments are some things I worried about.  I am going to attempt to work it into my budget a bit sooner.  Thanks.

(my morning daily drive to work is so short, that I wouldn't get up to full temp on a cold morning anyways) 1 mile.

You can get a thermostat and gasket for less than 10 dollars. You could spend  that much or more in extra fuel by driving it like that.

I have been told that's not the case on many new vehicles nowadays. I've changed quite a few t-stats back in the day, they were easy. $10 or less for the stat and a piece of gasket material you had to cut yourself but I was told by a mechanic the average person couldn't do that on newer vehicles and it would cost alot more.

Fix it now or park it. Thermostats aren't expensive.

The t-stat (and couple gallons of coolant) in my trailblazer was something like $80 and a total PITA to replace. It's buried underneath the alternator with AC lines right in the way.

Need to be fixed? Yes. Cheap and easy like a small block chevy? Not hardly.

I used to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to get mine up to temp in the winter.

I would do that myself back years ago also but these newer vehicles, many of them have a flow meter to check air flow through radiators /AC Condensers for adequate flow and cardboard has been know to blow motors on a few of my buddies vehicles that thought it would work on their newer vehicles but learned a very expensive lesson. My suggestion is drop the dime and fix it right................jmho    You never did say what brand of truck you have in your OP???

The t-stat (and couple gallons of coolant) in my trailblazer was something like $80 and a total PITA to replace. It's buried underneath the alternator with AC lines right in the way.

Need to be fixed? Yes. Cheap and easy like a small block chevy? Not hardly.

This repair was a real pain in my arse

• Like 1

Yeah after reading that write up above be thankful you do not have a Honda. My wife's Odyssey it was a total PITA. It was buryied in the middle of the block and a nightmare to get to. I miss my old 350 days too. That one took me less than 10 minutes. I loved older vehicles but the wife don't so it is what it is.