ALWAYS carry, period.

I don't have a link, haven't checked Fox 17's site yet but I just heard two stories about self defense, defense of family.

1st story was about an elementry school principle shot and killed by her brother in Columbia, her husband shot and killed the brother, he had to retrieve his gun from his car the story said.

2nd story about a home invasion in Ruthord County, 2 men broke in and hit the home owner in the head with the butt of a shotgun and kicked him, the home owner made it to his room and got a pistol and shot and hit(???) the two suspects and they fled. Just repeating what the stories said.

1st story, if the husban had his gun on him instead of in the car there's a real possibility his wife would be alive and the brother dead unless he was in a different room, can't tell for sure but I sure don't want to have to get to my vehicle to get my gun if a situation happens.

2nd story, the man was very lucky he didn't get killed before he made it all the way to his room, if he had been wearing his gun there's a good chance he would have shot the invaders sooner and prevented a beating.

Some people may think you're a nut for carrying in your home, I don't care what they think, these are two perfect examples why I have my handgun on me at all times, i'm getting old and have orthopedic issues and just can't run through my house to get to a gun as fast as some drugged up 20 year old home invader.

I'm no self defense expert or instructor but my advice is at least have your firearm where you can get to it right away, if you don't want to carry a full size semi on your side all the time in the house at least a good snubby in a pocket holster is far better than nothing at all.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 3

I'd heard something about the home invasion earlier, but not the principal story.

That was sad, can't really say much about it except I want to retrieve my gun from my side if something happens.

The brother was definatly disturbed to kill his sister, I can't imagine or understand that and i'm glad I can't imagine or understand it.

• Like 1
Guest StorminMormon
I have a connection to the first story. Terry Cantrell was my landlord almost ten years ago when I lived in spring hill. He is a super nice guy, and I am saddened by his loss. I am grateful he was able to retrieve his pistol and defend himself. I have to admit, when I read the part about "in his truck" I thought the same thing, " what if he had been carrying..." It makes you think. Also for those in the Nashville area, he ran "cantrell's" way back when and actually still owns the springwater ( legendary dive bar/club that is across from centennial park) imagine my surprise when talking about my crappy punk band to my then landlord, he mentions remembering black flag playing his club.... I later was reading Henry Rollins book "get in the van" and he actually mentions terry by name....sorry, I know I am rambling but this hit close to home for me...

If I'm not at work or asleep, it's on my side. Period. Sad story above!

When i'm asleep it's on my nightstand, I know some of the arguments about a nightstand but my room is in the back of the house, they would have to bust through a thick wooden door with a standard lock and deadbolt which will not be quite and have to navigate through the house to get to me. Along with a G21 on a nightstand I have an 870 loaded with 00 beside my bed. No kids so no worry leaving them there but i'm good at securing them from kids when my neices brings their kids over which is seldom.

People have a problem realizing that this is not 1970 any more when you could leave your home unlocked and go shopping and come home and nothing gone. We live in a time now of if you don't protect yourself and live behind locked and bolted doors and carry a gun you very well might be a victim by a complete stranger at any moment. 

As for what has happened over the last 50+ years can be answered in one simple word. DRUGS!!!!! I would be willing to bet 90+% of all home invasions and Burglaries are drug related. You can look at the pictures in the Hermitage Home invasion and tell they were dope heads..............jmho

I don't move into any room in my home that i can't lay my hands on a gun. and when I go out in my own yard I am packing. You can get robbed while your cutting your lawn this day in time............jmho

• Like 4

People have a problem realizing that this is not 1970 any more when you could leave your home unlocked and go shopping and come home and nothing gone. We live in a time now of if you don't protect yourself and live behind locked and bolted doors and carry a gun you very well might be a victim by a complete stranger at any moment. 

As for what has happened over the last 50+ years can be answered in one simple word. DRUGS!!!!! I would be willing to bet 90+% of all home invasions and Burglaries are drug related. You can look at the pictures in the Hermitage Home invasion and tell they were dope heads..............jmho

I don't move into any room in my home that i can't lay my hands on a gun. and when I go out in my own yard I am packing. You can get robbed while your cutting your lawn this day in time............jmho

Bersa, you're dead right. Drugs is the keyword.

I carry while cutting grass as well. Just never know who might show up at an inopportune time. Stay ready, or, well, you know..............

I made this ugly thang a couple of years ago to fit my SP101 and fit in a blue jean pocket, it was specifically made for when i'm lounging around the house, carrying out the garbage etc. It's easy to grab the gun while in the holster and slip the whole package in the pocket and even draw it, it comes out when drawing and I can flick it off the handgun real quick. I've got it with me right now, I just wanted something that was fairly easy to tote a gun around the house and getting to it fairly quickly without putting on a belt holster which I do if I go out to the store etc.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JMH42/media/PocketHolster_zps9c73fbba.jpg.html]PocketHolster_zps9c73fbba.jpg[/URL]

Edited by K191145
  • Like 6

I made this ugly thang a couple of years ago to fit my SP101 and fit in a blue jean pocket, it was specifically made for when i'm lounging around the house, carrying out the garbage etc. It's easy to grab the gun while in the holster and slip the whole package in the pocket and even draw it, it comes out when drawing and I can flick it off the handgun real quick. I've got it with me right now, I just wanted something that was fairly easy to tote a gun around the house and getting to it fairly quickly without putting on a belt holster which I do if I go out to the store etc.

PocketHolster_zps9c73fbba.jpg

Very nice. And it functions for you. That's all that matters.

• Like 1

I got a new Remora ostensibly to encourage my wife to carry her LCP on her body, but I find it makes it real convenient for me to carry at home with little effort.  I barely feel it compared to any of my other guns.

Besides stories like these, and some on the The Truth About Guns, was the fact that my "quick-access" safe (a Gunvault Microvault) was not consistently opening, which is somewhat important for a safe.  Kudos to Academy for taking back the safe that I bought 6 months ago; I told them that I couldn't trust it to work when I needed it.  I tried to call Gunvault first, but gave up after being on hold for 10 minutes.

• Like 1

I carry 99.9% of the time, the only time I don't is when I am in church, but my gun is in the car, I had a discussion with a friend of mine about this, he carries a .380 in his pocket even in church. I guess it was just the way I was brought up (grandma guilt) but I just cant make myself walk into the church packing, not that I am offended by Randy doing it, it just doesn't feel right to me.

• Like 1

Very nice. And it functions for you. That's all that matters.

I used to have one of those cheapo Uncle Mikes soft pocket holsters that worked okay, the one I made holds the gun more stable in the pocket but it will only work with blue jean pockets which I wear jeans 98.05% of the time, the other 1.95% i'm in the shower and guess what? My gun is on the sink in the bathroom then. Just think of how vunerable you are in the shower if bad guy tries a home invasion then. You might have to shoot bad guy in your birthday suit but you can throw your pants on before the police get there if your're still alive. 

• Like 2

....Some people may think you're a nut for carrying in your home, I don't care what they think, these are two perfect examples why I have my handgun on me at all times, i'm getting old and have orthopedic issues and just can't run through my house to get to a gun as fast as some drugged up 20 year old home invader.

I'm no self defense expert or instructor but my advice is at least have your firearm where you can get to it right away, if you don't want to carry a full size semi on your side all the time in the house at least a good snubby in a pocket holster is far better than nothing at all. ...

K19... Ya just described me and my carryin philosophy to a "Tee" brother; im a 68 year old gimped geezer... As a dear old friend used to say when i wuz a 20 year old snot nose:"...Im an old man, most anybody can push me around; they just aint goin to..."... He went armed all the time and no one pushed him around... I feel the same way...

Your excellent analysis is dead on...!   

Keep up the good work...

carryin leroy

• Like 2

I carry 99.9% of the time, the only time I don't is when I am in church, but my gun is in the car, I had a discussion with a friend of mine about this, he carries a .380 in his pocket even in church. I guess it was just the way I was brought up (grandma guilt) but I just cant make myself walk into the church packing, not that I am offended by Randy doing it, it just doesn't feel right to me.

I don't carry inside anything "federal", don't want the hassle of getting made in a federal building. Just have a feeling the feds would be more than happy to charge you.

I don't carry inside anything "federal", don't want the hassle of getting made in a federal building. Just have a feeling the feds would be more than happy to charge you.

Well I don't go into federal building very often, but of course I wouldn't carry in one, I should have said I carry 99.9% of the time where it is legal to.

• Like 1

K19... Ya just described me and my carryin philosophy to a "Tee" brother; im a 68 year old gimped geezer... As a dear old friend used to say when i wuz a 20 year old snot nose:"...Im an old man, most anybody can push me around; they just aint goin to..."... He went armed all the time and no one pushed him around... I feel the same way...

Your excellent analysis is dead on...!   

Keep up the good work...

carryin leroy

There's alot of people, even some gun owners who will argue that the "odds" of a home invasion is pretty low, that also depends where you live. The thing is is that there is a possibility period and even so-called safer neighborhoods have home invasions these days. As long as there's a possibility which seems to be increasing these days those people will just have to call me paranoid, who knows, my paranoia may just save my life someday.

• Like 2