Nashville Area-where to live?

Erik88

Guest StorminMormon

Chapel Hill is a great area. The schools are good, no crime, 0% traffic, and you are 10 minutes to Strategic Edge and 15 from Owl Hollow. That said, after 10pm the only thing open is a Shell gas station. If your wife is anything like mine, that short 15-20 minute, traffic-free ride to Spring Hill to go shopping or out to eat will be filled with her begging and pleading to move to Spring Hill. Don't do it! You can buy a 1700+ sq ft house with a couple ( or several) acres here for less than $200,000.

Or you might try Fairview which is still reasonably close to Spring Hill thanks to SR-840, but further away from all of the other things I listed.

Thank you for not calling 840 "interstate 840". I don't know how many times I have heard people say that. When they do I ask "oh yeah? What other states does it run in to?"
  • Like 2

My current employer has a field based position available in the Nashville area that I'm currently interviewing for. Since I will be working from home I can live anywhere in the greater Nashville area. Having only been to Nashville a handful of times I have no idea what areas to avoid.

Assuming I get this position(which is never a guarantee) I'd like a head start on where to look. 

I have a customer I would have to visit in Spring Hill about once or twice a month so ideally I'd like to be within a reasonable distance of that area. Also, I hate traffic so I have no desire to actually live in Nashville or any area that is heavily congested.

The other criteria I'm looking for is

-close to an area that has a mall or high density of retail stores. This is so my fiance can find a job(she works at Victoria's Secret and Chili's currently)

-within 30-40 minutes of an outdoor range would be great

-I would have to visit a client in TX for this new position so I'd like it to be within 30-40 minutes of the airport if possible.

-Easy access to I-40 so that going back home to Knoxville is a little easier. 

That's all that I can think of at the moment. Looking at the map I think anything on the south side of town would make sense. Thanks!

Ulrich that is the dumbest shit I have ever heard.

How do you not know these answers already?

Never hardly been to Nashville but I bet almost anywhere there meets these criteria.

Glad you might be coming home anyway!

Chapel Hill is a great area. The schools are good, no crime, 0% traffic, and you are 10 minutes to Strategic Edge and 15 from Owl Hollow. That said, after 10pm the only thing open is a Shell gas station. If your wife is anything like mine, that short 15-20 minute, traffic-free ride to Spring Hill to go shopping or out to eat will be filled with her begging and pleading to move to Spring Hill. Don't do it! You can buy a 1700+ sq ft house with a couple ( or several) acres here for less than $200,000.

We'll go spend a weekend down there now and then at Henry Horton state park. I really like it down there. I expect it'll grow like gangbusters before long. A good place to invest in real estate in my opinion.

We'll go spend a weekend down there now and then at Henry Horton state park. I really like it down there. I expect it'll grow like gangbusters before long. A good place to invest in real estate in my opinion.

Yes it is a goo investment location I bought 3 ac. There in august 2012 for $12500 sold it in December 2013 for $30000 not a bad investment I loved it there but I'm on call at my job and i have to be able to report in 30 minutes or less so we built a house in Blackman/Murfreesboro area

Even with construction, my commute to Nashville from southern Williamson Co. is still 50-75% shorter in terms of time than it was on I-24.  On weekends, the construction causes zero issue for us getting up to Cool Springs to shop or dine.

I hear that I-40 east of town is getting bad for traffic in the mornings too, which would strike Mt. Juliet off my list.

Further, I have friends in Mt. Juliet who say that traffic around Providence is so bad now on the weekends that they try to find places away from there to shop and eat.  I don't think Mt. Juliet planned near well enough for the explosive growth that they have experienced.

I40 has become awful!

It took me over an hour Wednesday to get to Hillsboro Pike off 440 from I40 at the Hermitage exit. I think I left at 7:15am and got there after 8:30am. I left a little earlier today and it was a bit faster, but still took around an hour. For reference, that's normally under a 30 minute drive in normal traffic for me. I hate driving in to town from here.
  • Like 1

I40 has become awful!

It took me over an hour Wednesday to get to Hillsboro Pike off 440 from I40 at the Hermitage exit. I think I left at 7:15am and got there after 8:30am. I left a little earlier today and it was a bit faster, but still took around an hour. For reference, that's normally under a 30 minute drive in normal traffic for me. I hate driving in to town from here.

I could walk to Nashville from Mt. Juliet faster than driving there most mornings.

I could walk to Nashville from Mt. Juliet faster than driving there most mornings.

It is the bridge over the tail waters from the dam, It has a good bump on both sides, people slow down and the the inch worm effect kicks in.

Then there is the ramp to 440, do not get me started.

Timing is everything, get there before 6:45 AM and it is clear sailing.

• Like 1

It is the bridge over the tail waters from the dam, It has a good bump on both sides, people slow down and the the inch worm effect kicks in.

Good tip!

This past Wed was HORRIBLE though. Worst morning drive I've had in a while. It was a 1st hear crawl in most areas. Edited by JohnC

I got on 40 West one morning at OHB (Hermitage) and traffic was about at a stand still, we never did get over 30 MPH.  about a 1/4 mile from Donelson Pike there was a car on the left shoulder with a flat, that's it.  It was pulled off the road and everything but 4 lanes of traffic went to a crawl for miles because of it.  As soon as I got passed it traffic was moving at the regular proper speed.  No way would I travel into Nashville on a daily basis. 

The spray from the dam also collects on the pavement and freezes in cold weather. This usually causes mayhem to ensue.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me what traffic is like on I-65 from the Spring Hill area south to Lewisburg? Can I trust what google maps says? 35-40 minutes?

I'm flying up Monday for a job interview in Lewisburg. I'd like to live within 35-40 minutes of there. 

Can anyone tell me what traffic is like on I-65 from the Spring Hill area south to Lewisburg? Can I trust what google maps says? 35-40 minutes?

I'm flying up Monday for a job interview in Lewisburg. I'd like to live within 35-40 minutes of there.

Most everyone here is heading north. Google Maps is good at approximating time. I've used it many times on my phone when running back and forth to Vanderbilt Children's and it adjusts to traffic. I'd say 35-40 is safe, morning or afternoon on that section of 65.

Two really important questions you'd have to answer before you could get some real advice here:

1)  How much will you have to spend on a house / pay for rent?

2)  Do you have kids to put in school?

A couple of other things:

1)Nolensville is 20 minutes from EVERYTHING.  Need something from Home Depot?  20 minutes.  Want to take the wife shopping?  20 minutes.  Unless you want gas or BBQ, it's 20 minutes.  Everyone I know that has moved there thinking they were buying Williamson County on a budget has regretted it. 

2) Fairview- see above.  ;)

• Like 1

Two really important questions you'd have to answer before you could get some real advice here:

1)  How much will you have to spend on a house / pay for rent?

2)  Do you have kids to put in school?

A couple of other things:

1)Nolensville is 20 minutes from EVERYTHING.  Need something from Home Depot?  20 minutes.  Want to take the wife shopping?  20 minutes.  Unless you want gas or BBQ, it's 20 minutes.  Everyone I know that has moved there thinking they were buying Williamson County on a budget has regretted it. 

2) Fairview- see above.   ;)

1) This depends on how much money they offer me(assuming I get the job). I'd like to stay below $1,200/month

2)no kids-just 2 dogs.

Did you happen to see my updated post? Nolensville is an hour from Lewisburg so that won't work. Thanks though.

College grove is also somwhere to consider , but it is also 25 minutes from anywhere. There are some nice houses northeast of Columbia that are also pretty nice and convenient to spring hill. Will also be a bit cheaper, but it is Maury county if you decide to have kids before moving. Also consider looking on 431 south of Franklin in the Thompson Station area. Edited by Hozzie
  • Administrator

College grove is also somwhere to consider , but it is also 25 minutes from anywhere. There are some nice houses northeast of Columbia that are also pretty nice and convenient to spring hill. Will also be a bit cheaper, but it is Maury county if you decide to have kids before moving. Also consider looking on 431 south of Franklin in the Thompson Station area.

Thompson's Station is one of the more expensive areas to buy in.  I'm not sure that's a good recommendation for his price-range.

For almost 4 years I have cursed the traffic in Orlando.  Little did I know that Nashville is FAR worse. WOW. I got in my rental car yesterday and hit the roads during rush hour. It was miserable. It was bad enough that I really have no desire to ever live or work in the metro area. It wasn't just one or two roads either. Every major road I got on(and the secondary roads) were compete chaos. 

I don't know how ya'll keep your sanity there.

Lots of good info my vote is if u work near lewisburg lotsa places closeby that may help u live comfortably. Bellevue west Meade area if u have to live close to nashville. Nashville has turned into Los Angeles
Everything you do has to be planned around traffic. Thanks Karl Dean, lack of immigration enforcement, and forcing everyone to shove 100 lbs of crap into a coke can.
  • Moderators
Briley pkwy and 840 should be your best friends in the Nashville area. The amount of time saved never fails to make up for the extra miles when I choose those routes. Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1