Members that have opened/tried to open a range, I'd like to have a discussion.

timcar86

I'm in the very early stages of looking at opening a range for public use. It would have 2 - 100 yard rifle bays and 6 - 25 yard pistol bays. We'd also have a building for classes and other amenities. We have about 12 houses within 1000 yards with the closest house being within 300 yards. The property is surrounded by thick timber and brush. There are no zoning rules in the county and there are no sound ordinances. Like I said, we're in the very early stages and we're just want to try and cover all the bases before we secure funding. Have any of you tried to build something like this or seen someone else attempt the same thing? Besides noise complaints and possible civil suits from noise, what else would we have to worry about? TN law says after a year of operation, I'm protected against new ordinances, complaints and civil suits. All of the research on sound says that the db level at the closest house would be in the 40-60 level, barely above a whisper but there'd be a lot of instances. We plan on reaching out to the community, offering free memberships, other amenities and to measure the level of opposition. 

This is what we have in mind:

GbWJoLH.jpg

Edited by timcar86
Do you have an insurance quote?

300 yards from houses? What makes you think they won’t have you shut down as soon as they find out?

What direction are those pistol bays shooting?

I’d say your two biggest problems are proximity to neighbors and the fact that two 100 yard rifle ranges won’t bring you much business unless there is nothing else in your area.

You seem to be implying that because there are no sound ordinances; civil action is the only recourse against you. Do you know that to be fact?

I’m not trying to be negative; I assume you are looking for potential problems?

This is what we have in mind:

GbWJoLH.jpg

I'm certainly no expert but this looks like those people operating the rifle range would have to walk past the line-of-fire of those using the pistol ranges (albeit they would be somewhat protected by the berms) I wonder if it would be better to have berms along the outside of the pistol areas and have a path that runs along the side of the rifle berms?

I'm certainly no expert but this looks like those people operating the rifle range would have to walk past the line-of-fire of those using the pistol ranges (albeit they would be somewhat protected by the berms) I wonder if it would be better to have berms along the outside of the pistol areas and have a path that runs along the side of the rifle berms?

This. It would make me nervous walking down range with six pistols ranges shooting perpendicular to me. Like above, maybe put them at an angle or doing two on each side.

I had a good friend back in Ms. that had a range for years that I was contemplating buying. 1 very possible issue is the EPA and lead. I have heard of several ranges being shut down for lead contamination and such. Just another issue to look at. Good luck, I am not all that crazy about the range set-up either. unless you have a whole lot of people shooting at once I would have a 100 yd rifle, 200 yd rifle if possible and 2-4 25 yd pistol bays maybe a 50 yd also. When I go to a range to shoot either for practice or competition my 1st and foremost concern is safety. My $0.02

The whole 300 yard thing does not bother me too much.  Granted it's not my house that is that close.  I've probably shot at at least ten different outdoor ranges, and I can only think of about two of those that did not have houses within 300 yards. 

However, on the design, I agree. I do not like the idea of short inward with everyone basically shooting in the direction of others at the range.  I also agree that two 100 yd ranges does not offer anything more than one 100 yd range with five or six lanes. Of the ranges I've been to, the only time that every lane on a hundred yd range is full is at the beginning of deer season when the hunters come out to shoot a few rounds to check their scopes.   

Perhaps consider a shotgun range for trap and/or skeet.  That would not take up much more room than a couple of pistol ranges, but there are not as many places around to shoot shotguns vs handguns and rifles.

I would be pissed if there was an active range 300 yards from my house.  I like a quiet neighborhood.  A half dozen long guns on the firing line can crank out some noise riki tik.  I would imagine that amount, and more wouldn't be hard to get out on a weekend, even with only 100yds of lane to shoot down.

Also, the pistol bays pointed in towards the rifle range would require a lot of berm height & width for people to feel it's safe.  Those who have been to OK Coral in Woodbury know they do something similar, but have the pistol bays at least 20' below the elevation of the rifle range.  The topography out there is what made that possible, though. 

Edited by btq96r

Do you have an insurance quote? Getting one this weekend.

300 yards from houses? What makes you think they won’t have you shut down as soon as they find out? We don't. One of the reasons we want to talk to the community first.

What direction are those pistol bays shooting? Inward. Seems to be garnering a pretty negative reaction so we'll look at a different layout. We've got 18 acres to work with so it won't be that big of a deal.

I’d say your two biggest problems are proximity to neighbors and the fact that two 100 yard rifle ranges won’t bring you much business unless there is nothing else in your area. In your opinion, what could we offer to bring in more business? The only outdoor range in a 30 mile radius is only 25 yards and it isn't public. 

You seem to be implying that because there are no sound ordinances; civil action is the only recourse against you. Do you know that to be fact? I've tried looking at any other ways a business could be shut down and that's why I'm asking. We've talked to the county and city code enforcement folks and they couldn't give us a reason why it would be shut down other than a civil suit.

I’m not trying to be negative; I assume you are looking for potential problems? Yes and thanks for the response.

As stated above, I do not like the design. Berms just don't cut it for me. Rifle shooters would be afraid of pistol shooters and pistol shooters would be afraid of rifle shooters. I also think 300 yards from nearest house is just about 2 miles to short. 

2 miles with no homes is difficult to find in East Tennessee. Trust me, I'm still looking.

Not sure on the others, but after this, Sparta Arms moved in next door to one of my offices and when I was up there 2 weeks ago, they said there was an auction to sell off the place.  Doesn't sound like it ended too well for them.

Not sure on the others, but after this, Sparta Arms moved in next door to one of my offices and when I was up there 2 weeks ago, they said there was an auction to sell off the place.  Doesn't sound like it ended too well for them.

Do you think it was from business or from the complaints?