If this wont make you buy a Toyota..

I grew up thinking the only truck was Chevy. I still think the best looking trucks ever made are the older Chevys, BUT there are two Tacomas, a 4runner and a Straigt axle Toyota pickup in my driveway now. I got tired of working instead of driving them. Rarely had to work on a vehicle in the last ten years.
  • Like 1
I have an 86 Toyota truck my mom bought new shipped from Ca to TN when my she passed away. Still running great and would be my daily driver except the A/C sucks. Seeing what they were doing to that truck irked me but was fun to watch none the less.

Ironically Toyota is amongst the "most American" made trucks on the road, meaning that they source more of their parts from America than other companies, Ford rivals them on this but Dodge and Chevy aren't even close. 

Toyota also has manufacturing plants in the US.  While it doesn't account for as many jobs as Ford, Dodge and Chevy have domestically, I'm comfortable saying that if you buy a Toyota in America, you're supporting American jobs.

I can contest to the durability of the Hilux from being overseas. Growing up my dad had a 95 Tacoma with the near indestructible 2.7. That truck saw more work than most one ton domestic trucks. It eventually got totaled by another Tacoma. I just recently sold my 2013 Tacoma prerunner. While bigger, I just didn't think it was as well built as the first generation Tacomas or pickups.
  • Like 1

American manufacturers would have nothing on it but people would continue to buy the American trucks, even if they cost three times as much.  These people will undoubtedly be quick to tell you how proud they are of there "American" vehicle and how it will out perform that "Jap crap" even though it won't.  The American trucks will also not be as dependable as their Japanese counterparts.  Ironically Toyota is amongst the "most American" made trucks on the road, meaning that they source more of their parts from America than other companies, Ford rivals them on this but Dodge and Chevy aren't even close. 

One of the funniest ironies ever; When Toyota got into NASCAR a few years back.  Every podunk moron I heard was complaining about those GD and MF'ing foreign cars out there with good ole american cars.  Best look ever was their expression when you tell them all the mexican made parts Ford uses, all the Canadian work done with GM.......Camrys???????        Made in Kentucky.    

• Like 2

patton, mine was a 1996 2.7 lIter. I loved it, pulled my 18' Stratos with it. Stopping was the only issue. When I got rid of it two years ago I sold it for 3 grand. Stil wish I had it.

A friend of mine had a Big boat in Hawaii and his Tahoe crapped while towing it back home. He called and asked if I could take his boat home from the side of the road. I at first said that I couldn't. He said, "I know you don't have a hitch so I'll buy you one." I then said yes. I retrieved him and the boat. A six mile trip up a slight hill and then level the last few miles. He said he couldn't believe how well a six cylinder pulled his boat. I had to break it to him that my little 2003 was a 2.7l. 4 cylinder. He said his boat was every bit of 5,000 lbs. I said, "Well it is fine for just one trip". Then he shared to me that his trailer was about 1800lbs. The truck did fine, but no way would I do it again.

Well, I bought a Tundra 3 weeks ago, only because my Fix Or Repair Daily truck has a "known defect" in the engine block design and I needed a new block.  No thanks.  After fixing a problem with a transmission leak in December, that again is a 'known issue' (pass through connector seal on the tranny was leaking because ford used rubber o-rings). 

Since I was just outside of the extended warranty it was out of my pocket to fix KNOWN problems with the design of the FORD.  No thanks.

Our last ford (a windstar) also had problems with ford using rubber where they shouldn't.  Had to take the top part of the engine off to replace 6 bolts that had rubber seals with new ones that were of another material.  

When will ford learn not to use rubber seals when there is contact with petroleum products?

Because I'll get asked :)  the problem on my truck was that the rear passenger side of the engine was not getting enough oil so the cam phaser when out cause a horrendous "ticking" sound, so bad that my gas engine sounded like a diesel at idle.  Two shops both said that they could replace the passenger side parts, but the problem would return, don't know when, could replace both sides and the problem would return, or, replace the engine block with a "redesigned" one that solves the oil flow problem (and replace a slew of parts along the way).   Google "Ford engine tick" for more information.  If you have a 2006 - 2010ish F150 might be worth while to check it out before you have the problem.

2015-02-15-09.10.49.jpg

• Like 3

2nd gen Tundra owner here as well. I LOVE my truck and nicknamed her the Puma(Yes, she's a she as are all of my mechanical possessions, get over it). She's a 2011 with 23k, 5.7 4x4. I work about 2 miles from my 1st job at a Toyota dealership(Yeah, no biases there lol) and drive about 6 miles to the carpool pickup point for my 2nd so she gets little mileage on her and the longest trip she's been on was to New Orleans. I will say this, the 1st gen Tacoma 4cyl is the MOST reliable Toyota truck sold in America, even more so than their 22RE Toyota Truck counterparts.

547880_505221486171571_1481986919_n.jpg?

Edited by whitewolf001

Well, I bought a Tundra 3 weeks ago, only because my Fix Or Repair Daily truck has a "known defect" in the engine block design and I needed a new block.  No thanks.  After fixing a problem with a transmission leak in December, that again is a 'known issue' (pass through connector seal on the tranny was leaking because ford used rubber o-rings). 

Since I was just outside of the extended warranty it was out of my pocket to fix KNOWN problems with the design of the FORD.  No thanks.

Our last ford (a windstar) also had problems with ford using rubber where they shouldn't.  Had to take the top part of the engine off to replace 6 bolts that had rubber seals with new ones that were of another material.  

When will ford learn not to use rubber seals when there is contact with petroleum products?

Because I'll get asked :)  the problem on my truck was that the rear passenger side of the engine was not getting enough oil so the cam phaser when out cause a horrendous "ticking" sound, so bad that my gas engine sounded like a diesel at idle.  Two shops both said that they could replace the passenger side parts, but the problem would return, don't know when, could replace both sides and the problem would return, or, replace the engine block with a "redesigned" one that solves the oil flow problem (and replace a slew of parts along the way).   Google "Ford engine tick" for more information.  If you have a 2006 - 2010ish F150 might be worth while to check it out before you have the problem.

2015-02-15-09.10.49.jpg

Beautiful truck. I have an '08 Tundra Limited that still runs like a top. It's about due for some shocks, but that's it. Otherwise, it hasn't given me the first hint of trouble. Close hood, run forever.

All of my Fords and Chevy's had really good lighting under the hood.  Remember those old Chevy's that had the drop light built in under the hood?  Those were pretty cool.  Yeah, my Toyota doesn't have a light under the hood, and I haven't missed it a bit.  Can't even picture the engine in my head right now, but I could draw you a 302 with my eyes closed.

Beautiful truck. I have an '08 Tundra Limited that still runs like a top. It's about due for some shocks, but that's it. Otherwise, it hasn't given me the first hint of trouble. Close hood, run forever.

Have you had any issues with the Air Injection Pump yet? The 08-10 are kinda notorious for this. If your mileage is low enough or you fall under the year range it will qualify for an extended warranty. That's not to say yours does, just saying all around.

. I will say this, the 1st gen Tacoma 4cyl is the MOST reliable Toyota truck sold in America, even more so than their 22RE Toyota Truck counterparts.

]

I have heard more than one mechanic say that. The new 2.7 is also a good engine.

Have you had any issues with the Air Injection Pump yet? The 08-10 are kinda notorious for this. If your mileage is low enough or you fall under the year range it will qualify for an extended warranty. That's not to say yours does, just saying all around.

No issues yet. There was a recall on something relatively minor. I can't even remember what it was, but I took care of it.

No issues yet. There was a recall on something relatively minor. I can't even remember what it was, but I took care of it.

Well that's good, if you do start to experience any issues pertaining to that, your truck is covered for up to 150k or 10 years from date of original sale. I had the drive shaft on mine replaced under warranty, there was a TSB on it so I went ahead and got that knocked out. The OEM radios are nice user wise but they're junk for the most part. Been through 3 of the Panasonic bastards.

Sent from the future using a flux capacitor. Edited by whitewolf001

I had a '79 Bronco and it was indeed a tank. Mine had a 400ci V8 and did not lack for power. Some red neck had welded up the rear end but it would go places in 2wd that my newer F150 would have to put into 4wd to get. I took the top off the day that I got it and put it back on the day I sold it. Couldn't of imagined having to have it as a daily driver it was a rough ride and loud. Even though, it was unstoppable! This is the only remaining picture I have of it. It needed to go when it did, it was never anything but a toy, but I do miss it sometimes.
189758_506571529958_6782_n_zpsg0eqnb2h.j

Beautiful!! Mine was a special order out of Louisville back when the original owner ordered her. She came with her original 351M engine which has since been rebuilt by Shacklett in Nashville. They did an amazing job! She is a beast now, especially after getting her tranny rebuilt too. She's super loud (I love it) but her ride is actually pretty good. I love seeing other 78/79 FSB's! They're few an far between sadly!!

When she bit the dust the first time, I was ready to sell her. When the tranny went, I told Monkey to get her out of my site. It hurts to see something you love in a bad way. Both times he ignored me and had her fixed. Yesterday we rode around all afternoon in her. I barely spoke. It just feels good to drive her. I have a great man for never listening to me about selling her. Toy, DD or just general awesome vehicle, she's a family member. Forever. Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500

All this talk about diesel makes me want to do what a guy on a Nissan xterra forum did and swap out my the gas engine in my frontier for a diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I batted that idea around in my head for a while.

Where did he find a Diesel engine? Out of a Navara?
  • Like 1
Well yall can say what you want about me but I'm not going to pay my hard earned money for a Japanese or any foreign country's vehicle when I can get what I need from an American companies product.

I will admit I am a die hard GM guy and I'd buy a Ford before I'd buy a Toyota any day.

Well yall can say what you want about me but I'm not going to pay my hard earned money for a Japanese or any foreign country's vehicle when I can get what I need from an American companies product.

I will admit I am a die hard GM guy and I'd buy a Ford before I'd buy a Toyota any day.

From: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/How_American_is_Your_Car/

Least American Large Truck: Ford F-Series

Full-size truck buyers may be surprised that the Toyota Tundra uses more domestic parts than any of its rivals. With 80 percent of its parts from the U.S. and Canada, the Tundra is 10 percent more American than its closest domestic rival, the Dodge Ram, and significantly more American than the Ford F-Series, which gets 40 percent of its parts from other countries. 

Yes this was from 2011, but do you think much has changed since then?

Here's a 2014 break down, F150 & Tundra both have 75% american made parts.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-8-most-american-trucks-for-2014.html

The majority of the money (profit) goes to the assembler aka manufacturer not the individual parts suppliers.

I used to work at Nissan in the quality dept. I was told on more than one occasion that it costs approximately $8,000 to build an Altima. They sell for mid-20s up to around $30k. That's a pretty high percentage of profit going back overseas.

I buy according to where the company is based at. Not where they buy some of their parts. Don't kid yourself, Toyota, Nissan, etc would not be using American made parts if it wasn't financially benefitial to do so. They manufacture them here to save on importing costs when there is a huge automotive market in the US.