If this wont make you buy a Toyota..

Well yall can say what you want about me but I'm not going to pay my hard earned money for a Japanese or any foreign country's vehicle when I can get what I need from an American companies product.

I will admit I am a die hard GM guy and I'd buy a Ford before I'd buy a Toyota any day.

Hecho en Mexico, jus saying...

Well yall can say what you want about me but I'm not going to pay my hard earned money for a Japanese or any foreign country's vehicle when I can get what I need from an American companies product.

I will admit I am a die hard GM guy and I'd buy a Ford before I'd buy a Toyota any day.

I'd rather buy a truck from a Japanese owned company that is built with American parts than buy a truck from an American company that is built with Mexican parts.  The domestic manufacturers need to up their game or they are going to loose a large portion of their customer base.  If Ford was producing an equal product for an equal price I'd pay them some attention.  I have an acquaintance who is a Ford engineer, his words were telling when he said "I wish all of my friends drove Toyotas." 

Edited by 10-Ring

Well that's good, if you do start to experience any issues pertaining to that, your truck is covered for up to 150k or 10 years from date of original sale. I had the drive shaft on mine replaced under warranty, there was a TSB on it so I went ahead and got that knocked out. The OEM radios are nice user wise but they're junk for the most part. Been through 3 of the Panasonic bastards.

Sent from the future using a flux capacitor.

Mine has the JBL Nav/Stereo/CD system. Knock on my hard head, I haven't had any issues there either. I am going to research the air injection pump thing for good measure though. I just went over 100,000 miles, so I want to be ahead of the curve. 

I have owned my F150 for 2 years now. Sold my Tacoma when I got the F150, miss it every day. I love the ford but that toyota was bullet proof. 240k on it, 2.7 liter, 5 speed 4 wheel drive 4X4 I would not have hesitated to rive it across the county.

I have the same 2.7 liter in my Tacoma too. LOVE IT!!! Mines a 4WD extra cab and I like it better than any American truck there is. Mine is 12 years old now and the best trucl I ever had .

[URL=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/taco_zps5xztw7to.jpg.html]taco_zps5xztw7to.jpg[/URL]

Edited by tercel89
Wife bought her 2003 Tacoma before we met. It's a base model 2.4L 4cyl with auto. It's got just 89,000 miles on it now and she's had all the service done at Toyota dealerships as the maintenance schedule shows.

Well, it sucks as far as I'm concerned.

Before she met me she said it ate a set of bakes and rotors, so it had to be replaced under warranty.

The cabin heat/AC fan is going out.

It's had a O2 sensor replaced by 80k miles.

It runs and idles rough now. The vibration sound is loud at times. It literally vibrates the hood and does it worse the colder the weather is.

It has zero power, but only averages 20-21mpg. My 1997 Mustang GT with an 2004 Explorer aluminum block 4.6L 2v PI engine swap with mods, tune, etc., averages 23mpg with a frickin' V8 and will do 28mpg interstate with AC blowing. Oh, and it has a 5 speed Tremec 3550 swap with 3:73 gear, so 1st gear feels like a F250. Still can't figure out why that little 4cyl 2.4L eats so much gas, yet can't get up the interstate on that hill on I24 just past the hickory hollow mall exit without gearing down to 3rd gear. :down:

Then, the trans is total ####. Sometimes when I go to take off, it hesitates and I feel a thump and then it moves sluggishly. Sometimes it hesitates, thumps and moves OK. About 15% of the time, it actually takes off without the hesitation, thump and then sluggish go. Well, when it shifts at part throttle it shifts from 2nd to 3rd too quick as well.

The drivers side seat belt won't roll up on its own. i have to screw with it to get it to work or else it gets shut in the door.

The cab was designed for midgets. Wind noise in the cab around the drivers side door makes me question if the door is shut all the way every time I get going.

The truck rides like a basket-ball. If you ride over bumps like where trucks have stopped at red-lights and the pavement is pushed up, the truck bounces all over the place and feels dangerously unstable.

Rust... Every rock chip, ding or scratch immediately rusts. My Fords, I've had the paint scratched and chipped right off and it took YEARS for any rust to start. case in point, my 1997 GT (bought new in Oct 96), front right fender got bent around 97 or 98, cracked the paint down to the under coat, this past year it just started to turn chalky white and this year it just started to rust. Let me chip the paint off a Toyota and a week later there will be surface rust.

We got rear-ended by a chick in a Lexus on a Cellphone. She probably hit us going 15mph or so, but that truck is so bare bones, it punted us and felt more like we got hit by someone in an F250 going a bit faster. I was actually dazed a bit and my neck got sore. I've been in wrecks before, but it felt a lot more harsh than it should have been. The impact moved us and the bumper got bent in and down some.

I thought I would like the truck. But this one has disappointed me.
Agreed... my wife (while preggo) wanted a new (2010) 4Runner... so, what momma wants, momma gets....

Total POS.... woefully underpowered, yet still only manages 18-20 mpg.... handles like a log wagon, yet still completely useless offroad outside of maybe a dirt road.

Motor has sounded like a sowing machine since it had 10k on it. Oh, and the inside of it looks like it was made by Fisher Price. Edited by SupaRice

My first truck was an 80s model, same size as a tacoma but not the same name...could of swore it was a hilux.  Anyway, it was a 4x4 with a 4cyl 22r engine and it was a tank.  It would pull my 17' trihull boat from Ft Bragg to Wilmington,  NC almost every weekend during the warm months and during hunting that little truck would get me in or out of anywhere.  In 92' I decided to upgrade to a fuel injected 4cyl a 90' or 91', and what an improvement.  Today I have a 2010' and so far so good.  I have had to take it in for a few issues, the stupid mat recall (not done), the heater fan which I don't think they totally fixed, and the radio which I didn't get replaced due to the deductible on the extended warranty. But mechanicaly it has run great.  Its the perfect size for me, I traded my sequoia for it due to it not doing so good offroad and getting the same gas mileage as the tacoma...should have started with it.

I have gotten a yeoman's service from my little Ford Ranger, and it's still under 76k miles due to my being in and out of the country so much over the last 12 years.  But to this day, I wish I had enough to buy the quad cab Tacoma back in 2002 when I bought my first vehicle.  My lower enlisted pay could only handle so much car and insurance costs per month back then, so I had to go with the Ranger. 

I have gotten a yeoman's service from my little Ford Ranger, and it's still under 76k miles due to my being in and out of the country so much over the last 12 years.  But to this day, I wish I had enough to buy the quad cab Tacoma back in 2002 when I bought my first vehicle.  My lower enlisted pay could only handle so much car and insurance costs per month back then, so I had to go with the Ranger.

I am glad yours is running good, when I got back from Japan I needed a truck but couldn't afford a toyota.  I asked around and got many opinions but all told me to avoid the rangers.  I came upon a Mazda B2300 4x2 in my price range so I got it.  Only to find out later that it was a ranger with a mazda logo on it.  After the second tranny started slipping I got rid of it asap.

I am glad yours is running good, when I got back from Japan I needed a truck but couldn't afford a toyota.  I asked around and got many opinions but all told me to avoid the rangers.  I came upon a Mazda B2300 4x2 in my price range so I got it.  Only to find out later that it was a ranger with a mazda logo on it.  After the second tranny started slipping I got rid of it asap.

I considered a Ranger a few years back, but they just didn't impress me. I've never been able to even determine a difference in the model years during the time they've been out. It's like Ford just threw something out there and that was it.

The reason the Japanese opened manufacturing plants in America was due to their dumping of cars into the American market.  They sold cars cheaper in the US than Japan and were forced into building plants here.  I have owned a three Hondas, and love them.  I don't really care where it's made, just don't break down on me.

I had a 1993 Ranger that I used to drive for work.  I finally sold it after drive over 408,000 miles on the 4.0L engine.  The truck never used oil, it just needed new bushings in the front suspension.  It had a clutch and manual transmission (replaced both 3 times) designed by Mazda that sucked.  I had to replace the water pump and radiator after 300,000 miles.  I replaced 3 exhaust systems, 5 sets of tires (got 93K out of a set of Goodyears without rotating them), and 4 sets of brakes.

My heart still yearns for a Mustang though.

• Like 1