Another Bizarro from John Sevier Range in Knoxville

I went there one time do shoot with some friends, and one of them happens to be a Knoxville Police Officer. He had his gun and badge on his belt and they demanded he NOT go to the range with the loaded gun on his belt, police or not. We looked at the guy like he was an idiot. My friend complied with the TWRA rules, but isn't it sort of bad business to disarm cops? That was the last time I ever went there because I felt they were a little off center and they made me uncomfortable. Best wishes, B

We who have spent much time at the TWRA John Sevier range here all have our fav anecdotes about management idiocy there, but here's yet a  new doozy. Bit long to paste and also from courtesy as didn't get permission to, so just the link. 

(the "asinine" part really caps it off :)):

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=38&t=578652

- OS

Was this Officer Farva by any chance?
  • Like 5

I've been there several times over the years and I don't like it.  I hate the check in process and the way the RSO's act. I joined out at Norris and I like it much better.  If I were closer, I would join ORSA.  There are some good people out there, that I used to shoot with in the Army and some others that I work with.  They are very organized and have lots of events.  But for just general plinking, it's hard to beat Norris.

Edited by Moped

I've been there several times over the years and I don't like it. I hate the check in process and the way the RSO's act. I joined out at Norris and I like it much better. If I were closer, I would join ORSA. There are some good people out there, that I used to shoot with in the Army and some others that I work with. They are very organized and have lots of events. But for just general plinking, it's hard to beat Norris.

I'm new to Knox county. Please tell me more of this "Norris" area you speak of.

In the Norris watershed boonies, run by Norris PD, in this area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Upper+Clear+Creek+Rd,+Andersonville,+TN+37705/@36.2283589,-84.0502293,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x885c444672179493:0x223e075d2fe762dc

You have to sign up at PD back in Norris.

$20 per visit or $40 for whole year! Thing is, year runs June 30-June 30, fee not prorated. You get a key to gate. Open every day except for two weeks (not in a row) in fall for deer hunts.

6 or 8 covered tables on rifle side, target stands at 50, 122.5, and 200 yards. Two different pistol areas. Great place to shoot.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

In the Norris watershed boonies, run by Norris PD, in this area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Upper+Clear+Creek+Rd,+Andersonville,+TN+37705/@36.2283589,-84.0502293,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x885c444672179493:0x223e075d2fe762dc

You have to sign up at PD back in Norris.

$20 per visit or $40 for whole year! Thing is, year runs June 30-June 30, fee not prorated. You get a key to gate. Open every day except for two weeks (not in a row) in fall for deer hunts.

6 or 8 covered tables on rifle side, target stands at 50, 122.5, and 200 yards. Two different pistol areas. Great place to shoot.

- OS

No better place to shoot in the Knoxville area IMO.

I've been out there before maybe 6-7 years ago.... That one trip was enough for me. The range is a joke and their rules are asinine.

Very limited what you can do there.

- no "fast firing" (which seems to be anything quicker than one every 5 seconds depending on the doofus in charge any given time)

- 100 yard max

- shoot only paper, of course

- closest target stands are I believe at 10 yards. Whatever they are, too far for close defense point shooting practice

- gawd knows they'd probably try to arrest you if you actually tried draw and shoot practice

etc

- OS

They told me that they can't allow suppressors that are in trusts last week.  Mine are not in trusts, but still I thought it was silly.  There are two different fellows that work the office when I have been there.  A smaller fellow and a bigger one.  The smaller one has always been great.  The bigger one has sometimes been a bit of a jerk.  He also is the one who told me of the suppressor rule.

I shoot there maybe once every couple of months and normally have a good experience.  But I only go shoot bench rifles from there.  

I used to spend a lot of time at the Norris Range (lived in Lake City) throughout the 1990's but over the years I kept running into lunatics out there.  People shooting steel targets at 10 yards with AK's...holes all in the targets.  People jerk firing from the hip to try and simulate full-auto...and I have been swept out there so many times I quit noticing.  I have heard they have fixed up Norris a lot...maybe there are fewer ding dongs now.  

Why am I not surprised about this Mac?   LOL

I don't know how desperate to shoot I'd have to be before I ever went there again.  

Was lectured once by a RSO because I was not smiling enough while shooting.  I mean lectured like he thought he was my Dad or something. I did not put up with that very long.  Have not gone back since that day.   Heard Mac and another member get chided for talking too loud as people were trying to shoot.  Had a guy see my M1 carbine one time and ask me what kind it was.  Mind you I had dealt with this know it all before, I replied kind of aw shucks like that it was a wood one.  He then proceeded to try to tell me everything about it and instantly knew that it was rack grade or something.  He reached for it, I told him to stay off.  That did not go over well.  My brother was with me once and he sort of lost track of which target was his.  The RSO chided him for it because his bullet could hit the other guys bullet and then someone would end up hurt.    There is an endless list of stupidity I have heard come from those jack asses.

I never had the TWRA guy at the office ever ask me what I was going to shoot though.  

No matter I would never consider shooting there ever again.

It depends on the RO.  But generally, yes.  I have had an RO get uppity even when I handed him the correct tag indicating the office approved the suppressor.  But 95% of my experiences out there are good.  

But then, I am shooting slowly too, while sitting.  And I never bother to take a handgun out there.  They make you shoot those sitting down.  They are about to start opening the 300 yard portion out there too on certain weekends.  

I was there when a guy had his gun in a holster on his side. They told him he needed to remove the gun from the holster and unless he was on the line shooting it the gun must be unloaded. Said the gun could not be in the holster while on the range. So there definitely is no drawing and shooting.