Guess I have to shop at Kroger Now

none

Looks like kroger told the left Moms demand action that they will not be changing their policy. Right along with Meijers. Being from the Midwest I was curious if Meijers would cave or hold true to their roots.

Good for both of them.

Looks like kroger told the left Moms demand action that they will not be changing their policy. Right along with Meijers. Being from the Midwest I was curious if Meijers would cave or hold true to their roots.

Good for both of them.

You should shop at Kroger because the prices are some of the best, their store brands are really good, and shopping experience is pretty good (at least at the two Krogers near me in West Knoxville.) Considering that there are employees that have been at the main one I shop at since I was a kid (33 in a month), they tend to hold on to their employees and the employees have become friends. Certainly the most, "small store" experience I get anywhere I shop besides really old small stores. Plus, they have always been really gun friendly.

I'm a Kroger Fan. I've shopped their stores in the Tri-Cities  almost 40 years. I went to high school with some of the folks that work there. I'd have to say that they take pretty good care of me personally and the quality of their merchandise is above average.

I used to shop Kroger regularly, but ever since they remodeled and put in all the fancy-pants prepared and specialty foods, their prices have gone way up. Makes it hard not to shop at Publix. I grew up in Miami, Fl, and Publix is "home" to me.

Wifey loves our Target store... we've bought everything from our big TV, glasses, and groceries there as well as some minor furniture and clothing. Though similar in offering, it's miles from the WalMart experience.

I can't change where the Boss wants to shop, but I'm much more likely to hit Kroger for my small shopping visits throughout the week after news like this. Edited by musicman

We grocery shop exclusively at Kroger. I worked the night shift for several years at a couple of West Knox Krogers. They treat their employees good, and paid well. Like mentioned above, there isn't a lot of turnover once an employee 'tops-out.' I was a Back-Up Head Night Clerk when I left, I got tired of waiting on a position to open up to get my own store. Like mentioned, there wasn't a lot of turn over, you had to wait for a retirement.

in the olden days I dated a girl who was the president of Kroger's secretary.

I should have hung on to her.  (don't tell my wife ;) )

Today I am successful enough that I don't concern myself with where the groceries come from.  "She who must be obeyed" does the grocery shopping. 

Always liked Kroger anyway.

Edited by Mike.357

I do about half at Sam's, especially the meat. It's much cheaper, can save 25% or more over Kroger and often better quality cuts too.

But Kroger gets the other half.

- OS

Same here, OS.

However...my wife thinks Publix hung the moon and stars for the grocery world.

High priced and difficult to find things in the store for me.

My mom has been a Kroger corporate employee for most of my life.  My sister now works for a division of Kroger called PLM.  We pretty much only shop at Kroger.  

As JPR and the story about his son, I'm sure that was a store manager.  You should have contacted his boss and filed a complaint.  That is unacceptable and I guarantee that corporate would not allow that.   My mom's boss just had a heart transplant and hasn't been at work for over 6 months and still has his job.  

I agree with Cap, that just doesn't sound right. There's either more to the story or it was a rouge manager. In either case, you should have followed up. Kroger corporate had followed up with me on customer complaints 1,000 times less significant than what happened with your son. I'm sorry to hear that and hope he's doing well now.
  • Like 1

I have been a Kroger shopper for about 20+ years and have only had one issue with them and it was taken care of with one trip to my regular store. I use to fish a lot and I own a Skeeter bass boat which can hold 40 gallons of fuel when empty. I use to get my grocery points for gas and one month I had 30 cents off a gallon so drove out to the big new store with my boat and jeep. I filled up the Jeep and then pulled the boat up to fill it up.  When it hit 35 gallons on the pump it shut off. I went up to the fuel window and told the guy that the pump shut off. He said there is a 35 gallon limit on discount points. I dug out my receipt and read the entire thing and no where on the receipt did it state there was any limits. Well, I was about half done with the boat so I had him turn the pump back on and I used the 3 cents off to finish filling up the boat.

The total gallons bought was 54.3. I took the boat home and put it up and went up to my local Kroger store and had a talk with the manager. I showed him the receipt showing I had 346 fuel points and explained to him what happened when I tried to fill my Jeep and boat. Then I asked him to point out to me where it read that there was a 35 gallon limit. He could not find one.

He took me up to the courtesy counter and told the girl behind the counter to issue me a Kroger gift card for $50.00 on manager approval. She did and I was happy. Next time I went shopping at Krogers and got my receipt and looked at Fuel points the receipt stated there is a 35 gallon limit on fuel point purchase. He contacted Corporate and it was updated almost immediately. I Got refunded my money so I was happy and still shop at Krogers today and have 143 fuel points to date...................... :up: :up:

• Like 2

I despise Kroger and their stupid value cards, regardless I shop there all the time.

My wife wanted get one of those stupid cards....you know the ones you can keep on your key chain. So I had one for about three weeks on my keychain under protest of course funny thing the card would never work finally found out the Hind fob on my key chain kept erasing it! Buy the way the name I used for the card was Ronald Reagan. No one even ever questioined it!
In my particular situation, my wife and I had far bigger issues we were concerned with. It really took 6 weeks before we could wrap our heads around cancer. I agree it was probably just the local manager; however, it still ticks me off. I have Publix, Wal Mart, and Aldi's closer. I buy more food from Sam's than any other place.
If Chattanooga still had a Kroger I would shop it. I get so tired of damn club cards and everybody except Walmart has them. I normally ask them to look it up by phone number and purposely give them about a half dozen wrong numbers first. One day these places will figure out that having club cards do nothing except waist money.

One day these places will figure out that having club cards do nothing except waist money.

But that is where you are wrong.

It shows who buys how much of what, and what they buy with it when they buy it. Then they can send you coupons to your email. It is targeted advertising. Money can't buy that. It helps with inventory, marketing, and shows the tastes of certain areas.

It is beneficial for the consumer too, as long as you are willing to give up a modicum of your private anonymity. 

A corporation like Kroger, or Food City, or any grocery store with a 'savings' card is in the business of making money. I can promise you that if they were losing a penny on the overall scheme, the cards would have been gone a long time ago.

Sam's, Costco and others use their membership cards in the exact same way. They even tell you when you sign up, And you pay them for that. I am a Costco Member, there are many things that it makes too much sense to buy in bulk not too. Target, Cabelas, hell, pretty much everyone does it now. From your phone, you can get coupons and they will just scan them right there at the register.

Walmart is the only place I can think of in the idea of a big box store that doesn't have some form of 'savings/rewards/membership' program. That doesn't say they are better or worse, but I can promise you they are still watching who spends what and how often. Maybe through the EBT cards?

I actually know that is the whole purpose behind it. I still like to mess with them. I remember Bilo starting it in 97ish, and whoever has my mom's old phone number gets a lot fuel perks. She hasn't had that number in 15 years, but I still give them the number. The same for ACE; I give them my ex's number and we broke up in 1998. Of course I give them ten incorrect ones first, lol. Edited by Patton