don't unfairly disadvantage my children by reading to your own.

• Authorized Vendor

Wait.....what? Just because other kids have toothless, drug using, gang banging, non reading dirtbags for parents doesn't mean your kid shouldn't get a leg up on the others. Damn libtards, loser thinking at it's worst right there.

• Like 6

I think it's a tossup. Both highly(supposedly) educated men/groups. Educated to the point of insanity that is.

Here is my feeling on education and how it affects people.

Everyone has a finite amount of storage for memory and common sense. There is nothing that can be done to increase that storage capacity. And that memory isn't like a memory chip but more like a drinking glass and as you learn that glass fills up. Now it depends on the individual whether they gifted with a big gulp or cursed with a shot glass. For most of us we are some where in the middle. The bigger the glass the more you can learn but you cannot learn more than your glass holds. The shot glass is just big enough to hold the basics needed to eek through life but not much more.

Those that have a shot glass are those people that are hopelessly stupid. They have very little knowledge and even less common sense. Its all they can do to get up, get dressed and survive the day. No amount of learning is going to fix it. The reason is because there little shot glass is already filled with all the basic things like their name, how to get dressed and how to eat. If these people get any more knowledge it will overflow their little shot glass and they will loose some of the basic things they need to survive.

Now there are some who start out with a much larger glass but they are not immune to getting dumber either, it just takes a lot more learning. They were once smart people with common sense but after years and years of learning their much larger cup begins to overflow. When that happens people who were once considered smart with common sense loose some of it because the additional education causes their glass to overflow. When that happens they not only loose some smarts and common sense but what they have left gets diluted with the newly acquired education. We have all seen them, they go off to college decently smart with some common sense but come back unable to take care of themselves but they can recite Pi to 1,000 places. And this is what I think happened to the guy suggesting this, he has had so much education that his common sense has been diluted to a point that he is an idiot.

And this also happens to people who do not go to college, it just takes longer. As the glass fills of with memories of their life and they learn other things the glass begins to overflow. This process takes much longer but it does happen. That is why as people get older they tend to loose their common sense as well as forget things because as their glass overflows they cannot choose what they loose.

And once your cup has overflowed, and the information inside has been diluted, there is nothing that can be done to reverse the process.

My goal in life should be to prepare and educate my children that they are far superior to the point they make smart kids look dumb.  Anything less is doing them a injustice.  Im not saying Id have the smartest kids, but giving them the chance to be, is all I can offer.  

and I will not feel bad about it, I will feel bad for those who have parents like the degenerate who wrote the article.  He will make sure his kids are not better than the status quo; which lately seems to be barely mentally competent.  

Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 3
Man, I tell ya, people like this are going to return us to the stone age or fast forward us to Idiocracy. If they had their way, nobody would become doctors or lawyers or engineers. We would all just be drooling idiots living off the government and completely under their control.
  • Like 2

At first, my reaction was, "WHAT?!"  I mean, I don't have kids nor do I want kids but even I had to take notice of this nonsense. 

My second reaction was, "Wait, this has to have been an article in 'The Onion' or something."  Then I did a little checking and found out that other outlets - like the Atlanta Journal-Constitution - had printed articles about it.

My third reaction was brought on by the Professor's last name.  His name being Adam Swift I couldn't help but think of Jonathan Swift.  Now, I have no idea if Adam Swift can find Jonathan Swift in his family tree or not but I have a feeling he is a philosophical descendent, anyway. 

Jonathan Swift is considered to be one of the greatest if not the greatest satirist in the English language.  In addition to tales like Gulliver's Travels (which, itself, contains socio-political commentary and satire disguised as a simple, fictional story), he also wrote pieces such as A Modest Proposal in which he 'proposed' that a good way to help the poor in Ireland whilst providing an interesting, new culinary diversion to the wealthy in England would be for the poor Irish to start having babies and selling them to the English to be eaten as a delicacy.  Not only could the Irish get money from the sale of their children but this solution would also rid them of the financial burdens of raising said children.  Reading Proposal, one would think that Swift was absolutely serious and he appeared to be seriously and wholeheartedly arguing the benefits of his idea.  If one didn't know better, just from the text, alone, one would believe that Swift was seriously endorsing cannabilism as a means of balancing the socio-economic scales.  In reality, however, he was an Irishman who was satirically expressing his belief that England was already 'cannibalizing' Ireland and gaining from the pain of the then current and future generations of the Irish people.  Of course, many people had talked about Britain taking advantage of Ireland while exploiting and oppressing the Irish people but Swift chose to frame the argument in an over-the-top, outrageous manner that likely brought attention to the issue in a work that is still presented as a top notch, classic example of satire a full 270 years after he died (in 1745.)

Similarly, anyone can simply say that parents who don't read to their children are putting them at a disadvantage.  In fact, it has been said and it is likely that the message has lost much of its impact over the years.  By stating the same argument but in an over-the-top, outrageous manner Swift (Adam, that is) has obviously brought attention to the issue well beyond the confines of academia.  I think that Swift (Jonathan, that is) would be proud.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
My one regret not having kids is to raise them to the extreme polar opposite of the village mentality.

Unlike many of you(who work your ass off everyday) I actually have lots of free time to homeschool a kid, had I have had one. I've often thought about how to do it so drastically different it would shock and horrify the sheeple. I'd like to see more kids taken on as a padawan (yeah, nerdy Star Wars reference) instead of just "here, learn this". Imagine what you could do if you had your kid with you everyday for the first 15 years or so. Me and the wife was talking about it one night over dinner, Lamentations if you will.
What would world think of a kid thats been told the unmitigated truth about EVERYTHING and then allowed to draw their own opinions and conclusions. How would the world respond to a kid who has been TRAINED, not schooled or educated. No 'approved' history books, this is what rally happened! Lincoln wasn't a slaver liberator, he was a tyrant who defied our constitution. No Ebonics, learn to read and write PROPERLY! To hell with soccer and volleyball, how about Brazilian jujitsu and Muay Tia kickboxing. How about training a kid from the START to deal with what awaits them. AND, I would be the first to refuse to ram religion down their throat but how about teaching them the finer points of Old Testament Proverbs. Anyone remember reading that Foolishness dwells in the heart of a child but the rod of correction drives it far from him?
I understand that I don't have kids so I DONT understand anything about them but the whole kids will be kids, let a kid be a kid is silly crap to me. I never acted like that (much) and never thought like that. Perhaps being robbed at gunpoint and staring down the barrel of a shotgun before I started kindergarten opened my eyes early but the way I see it, you do a kid a disservice by sheltering them. The sooner they understand the sooner they can start developing the skills and tools necessary to deal with the world. The sooner they master those skills, the sooner they become successful. (Ripping off another movie) "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

We all look back and play the "If only I had known" game. It's a sad part of being an adult. Not many parents put much effort into correcting that with their offspring. ...and the ones who do fight an uphill battle against the left wing propaganda rammed down their kids throat because of public education, television and social media.

Many will never realize that communism won the Cold War with a simple and extremely effective tactic. To defeat and indomitable enemy, you take out the next generation and wait patiently. They did just that. They've infiltrated schools and colleges. They prey on young impressionable minds and now, as we grow old and weak, who's left to carry on OUR way of life?
I have young people who trade with me at my business, I talk to them and listen to them. I know many of their families. Many of their families think like I do and truley beleive their kids do as well. They're sadly mistaken.

I have young people who trade with me at my business, I talk to them and listen to them. I know many of their families. Many of their families think like I do and truley beleive their kids do as well. They're sadly mistaken.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

-Winston Churchill

Edited by JAB
  • Authorized Vendor

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

-Winston Churchill

I've always wondered why people have always referred to me as "That heartless bastard".

At first, my reaction was, "WHAT?!"  I mean, I don't have kids nor do I want kids but even I had to take notice of this nonsense. 

My second reaction was, "Wait, this has to have been an article in 'The Onion' or something."  Then I did a little checking and found out that other outlets - like the Atlanta Journal-Constitution - had printed articles about it.

My third reaction was brought on by the Professor's last name.  His name being Adam Swift I couldn't help but think of Jonathan Swift.  Now, I have no idea if Adam Swift can find Jonathan Swift in his family tree or not but I have a feeling he is a philosophical descendent, anyway. 

Jonathan Swift is considered to be one of the greatest if not the greatest satirist in the English language.  In addition to tales like Gulliver's Travels (which, itself, contains socio-political commentary and satire disguised as a simple, fictional story), he also wrote pieces such as A Modest Proposal in which he 'proposed' that a good way to help the poor in Ireland whilst providing an interesting, new culinary diversion to the wealthy in England would be for the poor Irish to start having babies and selling them to the English to be eaten as a delicacy.  Not only could the Irish get money from the sale of their children but this solution would also rid them of the financial burdens of raising said children.  Reading Proposal, one would think that Swift was absolutely serious and he appeared to be seriously and wholeheartedly arguing the benefits of his idea.  If one didn't know better, just from the text, alone, one would believe that Swift was seriously endorsing cannabilism as a means of balancing the socio-economic scales.  In reality, however, he was an Irishman who was satirically expressing his belief that England was already 'cannibalizing' Ireland and gaining from the pain of the then current and future generations of the Irish people.  Of course, many people had talked about Britain taking advantage of Ireland while exploiting and oppressing the Irish people but Swift chose to frame the argument in an over-the-top, outrageous manner that likely brought attention to the issue in a work that is still presented as a top notch, classic example of satire a full 270 years after he died (in 1745.)

Similarly, anyone can simply say that parents who don't read to their children are putting them at a disadvantage.  In fact, it has been said and it is likely that the message has lost much of its impact over the years.  By stating the same argument but in an over-the-top, outrageous manner Swift (Adam, that is) has obviously brought attention to the issue well beyond the confines of academia.  I think that Swift (Jonathan, that is) would be proud.

Yep. This article was very obviously satirical.