Rolling coal

Read about it, heard about it and seen it first hand confirming my belief that some peoples only true purpose in life is to make a public ass out of themselves for the petty purpose of pissing other people off.

• Like 3

I know that my car will throw fireballs from the sidepipe when you rev it up unloaded.

It is also loud enough to wake the dead with a straight pipe off of the turbo.

I drive like a little old man though in most situations, and she behaves then.

Edited by Murgatroy

As others have stated it's from a too rich mixture being burned for "maximum power" but it's also from modifying the exhaust system by removing the Diesel Particulate Filter and removing the muffler, (or adding a high flow muffler), and it is most certainly a waste of fuel. Newer trucks cannot be modified like that because they are subject to stricter emissions testing and have a Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system. The DEF is an injector that injects pig piss, (urea), into the exhaust flow. I've wondered what kind of mind thought to inject piss into an exhaust stream. :shrug:

I have a 2014 RAM 2500 with diesel with all of this stuff on it. Take it off and not set your tune to be too rich and it increases power and fuel efficiency but, alas, I cannot do this.

"DEF", thanks.

I saw this stuff at Autozone and wondered WTF. Diesel Exhaust Coolant was what the box said.

Also as a MC rider I'd hate to get behind these smokers but there's something that annoys me more and that is straight pipes on a Harley.
  • Like 1

my truck will do it on demand only. i save it for these smart-ass teenagers that walk down a narrow 2 lane road 3 abreast and make u wait on traffic to get by. they better have their mask on. they only do it once and they can hear me coming. i didnt set it up for that but it works nicely and dont care who doesnt like it.

• Like 2

There's a truck that I see regularly that does this sort of thing. It's got a sticker on the back that says "Fueled by Haters". My thought was ... "No, fueled by feelings of inadequacy."

I ride a motorcycle. I don't like having to breathe or see through diesel smoke, its rather unpleasant. It makes my eyes water and makes me cough. I wonder if that could be considered "assault"?

I saw a blue lifted 4 door dodge in Nashville the other day with that sticker. May be the same one.
Had a douche in a real old Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton try to race my friend in his Convertible Mustang GT while I was riding shotgun with the top down. My friend didn't race him, so he proceeded to shift lanes in front of us and roll coal. :down:

Now not all diesels smoke intentionally. New ones are probably modified with catalytic converter cut off, but older ones just tend to smoke some when accelerating, especially when you want to take off faster.

Probably kin to the crowd that would drift their lowered Hondas in empty parking lots and play Fast & Furious on the weekends.

Diesel pickups are the new ricers. Years ago it was cool to be 'Fast and Furious" in a lowered Honda, now all the kids (and the mid life crisis guys) want to be 'country' in diesel pickups with semi truck stacks. This too shall pass, as soon as some new fad comes along. 

A properly tuned, properly built diesel truck won't smoke. That's why the diesel pickups of...heck, let's say 10 years ago so nobody can whine about new emissions equipment preventing it; those trucks put out far more power than diesels of the 1980s and early 90's, but none of them were smoking when they pulled off the dealer's lot. So much for the "more power means it will smoke" theory. Now, Bubba who bought a big bad tuner chip off and plugged it in with 'expertise' he heard from friends, found on the internet, or read in a magazine is a different story. Big chip, then big injectors, then "YeehawNascarBarbecueFourWheelDrive!" Dump all the fuel you can into the cylinders with the airflow to support it, and you get partially burned fuel in the exhaust, aka black smoke. If the engine could actually burn all that fuel it would end up with more power than the smoking one, but it wouldn't look as 'cool'. 

• Like 1
I was thinking about getting my two year old Honda Accord set up to roll coal, though after thinking about it, decided that i would rather get a machine gun installed on the roof - one of those that you can control with a joy stick. :)

I was thinking about getting my two year old Honda Accord set up to roll coal, though after thinking about it, decided that i would rather get a machine gun installed on the roof - one of those that you can control with a joy stick. :)

It's easier just to get a sunroof, pull ahead of a roller and toss a handful of 3/4"-1" steel ball bearings up in the air.

Not that I would do that, I wouldn't, but it's an old motorcycle rider's trick to deal with assholes.

• Like 2
Why so many panties in a wad over the smoke of a diesel ? Hell I've followed many a dinosaur burner with so much blue smoke that I have no clue how they got through Marta ! If you can't handle a steering wheel with over 500HP then find something else to bitc$ about. Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1
Well guess I am a douche bag. I have done it while driving the Monkey Mobile. BUT only when someone is so close to me that I feel like I owe them a copay. Plus I just like the sound of the turbo when you stomp it.

My Bronco is still a better vehicle than the MM but the MM allows me instant satisfaction. I'm a lead foot most of the time so if you're on my butt, something is wrong. Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 1

Diesel pickups are the new ricers. Years ago it was cool to be 'Fast and Furious" in a lowered Honda, now all the kids (and the mid life crisis guys) want to be 'country' in diesel pickups with semi truck stacks. This too shall pass, as soon as some new fad comes along.

A properly tuned, properly built diesel truck won't smoke. That's why the diesel pickups of...heck, let's say 10 years ago so nobody can whine about new emissions equipment preventing it; those trucks put out far more power than diesels of the 1980s and early 90's, but none of them were smoking when they pulled off the dealer's lot. So much for the "more power means it will smoke" theory. Now, Bubba who bought a big bad tuner chip off and plugged it in with 'expertise' he heard from friends, found on the internet, or read in a magazine is a different story. Big chip, then big injectors, then "YeehawNascarBarbecueFourWheelDrive!" Dump all the fuel you can into the cylinders with the airflow to support it, and you get partially burned fuel in the exhaust, aka black smoke. If the engine could actually burn all that fuel it would end up with more power than the smoking one, but it wouldn't look as 'cool'.

I agree it is a fad that many diesel truck owners wish would pass. It is also a rich kid fad because these trucks and parts are very expensive. It is incorrect that a properly tuned diesel will not smoke. Trucks built by professionals producing 1000+ horsepower will put out tremendous amounts of smoke. As will most stock turbocharged trucks built before about 2008. Trucks from 20yrs ago didn't smoke as bad mainly because they were not turbocharged and used less fuel. Then as I said there are the morons adding a "smoke button", which most diesel forums will ban you for even talking about as they should.
  • Like 1

Well guess I am a douche bag. I have done it while driving the Monkey Mobile. BUT only when someone is so close to me that I feel like I owe them a copay. Plus I just like the sound of the turbo when you stomp it.

My Bronco is still a better vehicle than the MM but the MM allows me instant satisfaction. I'm a lead foot most of the time so if you're on my butt, something is wrong.

And you are now banned from my truck!
  • Like 3
I could care less if blowing huge clouds of smoke is what makes a person happy but it crosses a line when they do it to innocent pedestrians because they think it's funny. That deserves a butt kicking IMO. Diesel trucks do nothing for me but I've spent way more time than I ever wanted to in a Cat 775.
  • Like 1