Rolling coal

I never heard this term until today.   

I have seen diesel pickups that blow vast amounts of black exhaust.  I always wondered why they don't fix their truck.  Apparently this is done on purpose and near as I can figure is that it is done solely to be obnoxious.  I have no clue if it adds to performance or not.  But it is done on command from the operator.

I learned the term reading a story on N.J. making the practice illegal.  Seems somebody rolled coal on a guy in a hybrid and it was a state legislator who took big time offense.  Seems Rolling Coal on battery cars and hybrids is a thing.

Anyway I never heard of it before but I have seen it.  Now I know there is a term for it.

Seems pretty much a DB move anyway, rolling coal.

Anyone have any explanation for doing this?  Is there any benefit for it?

Does anyone here do it?

• Like 2

My diesel doesn't smoke as bad as I have seen others, but I do it when the on set of road rage is nagging me, and the focal point car/truck is behind me.  It does work, but it is costly too.  Diesel is high!  It works better then the sudden need to clean the windshield. 

If my ol' Fbig50 starts to smoke like that, my mechanic would be getting a call.

What a waste of diesel. It seems like a lot of young rednecks (the ones with the golf ball sized dip) in my area are doing it. I'm assuming it's a new attention getting/macho posing thing. Along with 16" exhaust tip amplifiers.

that is about what I saw the other night driving home on the interstate.

Dude in a Superduty blowing black smoke for about a 1/4 mile and a Prius maybe in the right hand lane.

I thought to myself, " damn get your truck fixed"  then I read about Rolling Coal today.

the amount of smoke at one point was dangerous to traffic.

Had a guy in a Dodge roll coal going into St  Louis a few years back across multiple lanes of highway, I actually had to back off my speed because I couldn't see and he went by about 20mph faster than I was going so it wasn't like I was following. Not sure if he did it on my account because I was driving a Ford Powerstroke or just making a statement in general.

When accelerating hard, or doing the same while pulling a trailer, many diesel trucks will smoke pretty good. But some of these guys are increasing it by modifying their trucks, I'm guessing by making it use more fuel. I belong to a large Dodge diesel forum, they have been banning anyone talking about it or asking how to mod their trucks to do it.
  • Like 2

This is done on purpose by turning up the injectors.  All that black smoke is unburned diesel fuel and as far as I'm concerned, is like pouring it out of the can directly on the street.  Most of the time, the offender also has the big er.... um .... sack? hanging from the trailer hitch as well.  

• Like 4

I think this illustrates the feelings behind rolling coal...

Prius2_zpsp5rm52lz.jpg

The Welderup crew built that, and it is awesome. The guy that owns the shop also produced, acted in and provided all the vehicles for the Five Finger Death Punch video of their version of House of the Rising Sun. I don't say cover, since it has been covered so many times that it is uncertain of who wrote it, or begat it to who.

When increasing the power on a diesel you will have some black smoke under a heavy load, whether that be towing or hauling or just hot rodding it. It's just a by product of power.

But most of the kids doing it are simply to be obnoxious. Same as the huge exhaust tips, no point beyond a 5" tip and that's only if you have 5" exhaust.

Oh and contrary to popular opinion, diesel exhaust may look bad but it's better than a gasoline engine exhaust for the environment. The harmful stuff in diesel exhaust just settles to the ground, whereas gasoline exhaust stays in the air causing all sorts of problems.

As others have stated it's from a too rich mixture being burned for "maximum power" but it's also from modifying the exhaust system by removing the Diesel Particulate Filter and removing the muffler, (or adding a high flow muffler), and it is most certainly a waste of fuel. Newer trucks cannot be modified like that because they are subject to stricter emissions testing and have a Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system. The DEF is an injector that injects pig piss, (urea), into the exhaust flow. I've wondered what kind of mind thought to inject piss into an exhaust stream. :shrug:

I have a 2014 RAM 2500 with diesel with all of this stuff on it. Take it off and not set your tune to be too rich and it increases power and fuel efficiency but, alas, I cannot do this.

There's a truck that I see regularly that does this sort of thing.  It's got a sticker on the back that says "Fueled by Haters".  My thought was ... "No, fueled by feelings of inadequacy." 

I ride a motorcycle.  I don't like having to breathe or see through diesel smoke, its rather unpleasant.  It makes my eyes water and makes me cough.  I wonder if that could be considered "assault"? 

• Moderators

There's a truck that I see regularly that does this sort of thing.  It's got a sticker on the back that says "Fueled by Haters".  My thought was ... "No, fueled by feelings of inadequacy." 

I ride a motorcycle.  I don't like having to breathe or see through diesel smoke, its rather unpleasant.  It makes my eyes water and makes me cough.  I wonder if that could be considered "assault"? 

No, but you could claim it really, really hurt your eyes and made you feel really uncomfortable for a while. Sounds lawsuit worthy, right?

Also, since it made you tear up in front of your other biker buddies that is probably $500,000 worth of emotional scarring right there.

Edited by CZ9MM

I have seen it a few times and I too figured it was just poor maintenance (like when someone drives past with their stereo rattling all the loose panels on their POS beater). This was the first time I'd heard of it.

Wow , my Dodge does it but only when under a load or flooring it. Once you have added computer tuning, intake kit, intake elbow, boost fooler, and stripped the exhaust to lower EGT's it's just a byproduct of the increased horsepower and better fuel milage.  :tough:

I've heard of it before, and have seen it done, no biggie in my book.

Do I think there needs to be a law to "prevent" it?  HELL NO!  There are enough laws on the books as it is.  So some politician driving a prius got his panties in a wad so what.  

I remember a few years ago reading an article about how a politician wanted to ban trailer hitches on a truck unless the truck was actually pulling  a trailer.  Guess why, yup he walked into one in a parking lot (was prolly reading/texting on his phone when it happened).