Lifestraw: $9.89 on Prime Day

I keep one in my hiking pack. I need to grab a few more for the BOBs. Every review and lab test I've read say they work. They make a larger model for familiy/village use that has apprently been a god send for some places in the 3rd world.

Edited by monkeylizard

I have 2. I bought them after seeing Survivor man use one in a swamp somewhere, and in another episode he used one on an island with with no fresh water other than rainwater lying in low areas. He stayed the full 7 days without getting sick in both episodes.

I have concerns with the life straw.

Les Stroud used one on I think in the Gallipoli islands. 

I tried to find a video but failed so far.

Seems I remember he said you could still taste the bad water.  I think he indicated he believed it was safe to drink and with out the lifestraw he wouldn't have drunk it otherwise with out boiling it.

I know it read it is not for salt water. 

There are video's on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcy-pCAGOlw

Edited by vontar

I know it read it is not for salt water. 

Doesn't remove anything from solution, whether salt or haz mat. Even distillation won't necessarily remove the latter.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Haven't tried the Lifestraw, but I did get a 4 pack of Sawyer Mini's from Midway for $60. Versatile, can be used as a straw, connected to tubing, or fit most plastic 2-liter or water bottles. Guaranteed for (up to) 100,000 gallons (whatever that means.)

Happy with the purchase.

Edited by ttocswob

I have a Sawyer mini too. Easy to use and lasts a long time. That's my main filtration system with the Lifestraw as a backup. I also have a Steripen, but short of a crazy apocalypse where our rivers start to look like the Ganges, I shouldn't need it anywhere in the U.S.

I've been meaning to pick up a Life Straw as well. My primary fliter is a MSR pump and a Sawyer Mini used inline on my water bladder. Outside of that I have the military issued MSR Miox that also works very well and just about the lightest of them all.
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I find it very hard to believe that the mini can filter 100K gallons of water. I have filters that are much, much larger that will not filter 1/10th of that without becoming clogged.

I tend to avoid products who makers make outrageous claims and being able to filter 100K gallons of water with a $15 filter is an outrageous claim.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I find it very hard to believe that the mini can filter 100K gallons of water. I have filters that are much, much larger that will not filter 1/10th of that without becoming clogged.

I tend to avoid products who makers make outrageous claims and being able to filter 100K gallons of water with a $15 filter is an outrageous claim.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not saying that the Sawer Mini cannot do that, I'm just saying that I don't neceserally trust the Sawer Mini to actually do that. The burden is on them to prove it works. That being said, I'd like for it to be proven that it works as it would be a very nice product at a very nice price.

Personally I bought the Katadyn Pocket. Many might say it is overpriced and outdated, I say it is a classic and proven product that I didn't mind paying for.