Life goes on...

Absolutely. I was jaded with my job, but I never would have done something as drastic as quit, or sought alternate employment. This is for the best. It just hurts right now. Today.

Yes it does.

My wife was working at a company several years back. It was an awesome place to work. Like everywhere, they started making changes. It did not go well. Everyone talked of leaving, but she was the first one to jump ship. It was the best move of her life career wise.

You'll find something much better, but is does suck right now I'm sure. The unknown is scary.

Murg when one door closes usually 2 more open. Sorry to hear this. I too agree that this is very short sighted by management and could have easily been discussed and future position stated. A seminar for all employees was probably warranted with so many offenders. 

It would be easier to think that, but it isn't, it is just my own stupidity. HR is a dedicated team of devils. And once they got a whiff of something, they went insane over it. I just got a text a minute ago, total count is over 15 now.

That smells of an excuse for a "head count reduction".  I've lived through my share of those, and they suck.

• Like 1

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to come back to Knoxville.

Do you still have a way to contact your immediate boss or his boss? If so a letter written by you telling them how much you liked the job, the people you worked for and how much you have put towards the company (after all you did make a move for them) might make them reconsider. Especially if the job you did was as specialized as you say. Perhaps an offer to come back at your starting salary as a means to show how dedicated you are to the company you moved for and spent 10 years of your life making better.

I always hated the HR people. They always seem to be more interested in causing grief to their employees than actually helping them.

Or hell, reapply through their website for the same position. Never know what might happen once they realize the place will come to a screeching halt once you leave. Is there anyone left that can do your job?

Sorry bro, but you'll find somehwere else. I'm betting, something better.

....and people ask me why I quit machining and took up a job with less pay in a family tire business. Were I to get caught buying a gun by my boss (my father in law) he'd probably say some thing like "that's a good deal! If you don't buy it, lemme know, I might be interested". Lol.

My advice, not knowing your financials, lock down on everything. Full baloney sammich dinner mode. Be patient and start knocking on doors of places you thought would be cool to work but never applied. We all have whimsical fantasies of places we'd like to work, usually while we're working our normal grind. You're in a position to go investigate those places. If they bear no fruit, you'll at least know.
Think about an activity you wouldn't mind doing for less pay, then go find that position and fight for MORE pay. One would be surprised what's out there.

Let's go to a job interview.

I got an email about a dispatching position at 7am this morning.

That's good news! Dispatch/Warehouse/logistics that was my bag for over 40 years. I would say they cut you guys for a reason and used the guns as an excuse.

Look at this way, they gave you 10 years of OJT and they can't take that away. Good luck with the interview.

The truth is still working its way out. The headcount is still going up. The investigation Is still going on and is getting worse. Honestly I am glad I am gone. Obviously it will be a lot worse off a place to work when this is done.

I had my first interview this morning. Less than twenty four hours after being fired. They made me a very nice offer. I already took their drug test, though I haven't accepted their offer. I told them my family is first. They want to meet my family, as they liked my honesty and candor in regards to my priorities.

At the very least, I feel a thousand times better. I have also received head hunting calls from our biggest competitor. The rumor got back to me a minute ago that I had accepted that position. I liked that call, the fear in my former managers voice.

I am good.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
  • Like 11
I've hadasimilar situation where it stung when I was let go but it was a lot like lancing a boil. Now the corruption is gone, it'll heal fast and you'll feel much better.

I'm in the best occupational position I've ever been in because of similar scenario.

Murg,

I work in the supply chain and just moved back to Knoxville. If you want to move home let me know. My work is currently looking for a plant manager and I'm the assistant manager.

& you'll get a 6% raise just from not having to pay state income tax!

Kentucky is where I have made my home. I don't have family outside of my wife and daughter. My wife has created a career here, and my daughter has been in the same school since kindergarten. While Tennessee will always be 'home' to me, Kentucky is home to my family.

My part time job really came through for me, the District Manager met with me tonight while I was working at another store and told me that anything I needed, to just ask. I told him all I needed was hours until I could get everything figured out. He told me that any and all available hours at any district store I wanted to be at would be mine. I am currently picking up hours at three different area locations.

So with that said, I have nothing buy great things to say about Domino's and it's people. My wife is even greatly impressed with how they have reacted. I literally told my manager on Tuesday what happened, and within an hour she had me hours for the rest of the week at another store.

That meant a lot.

I have several folks calling and emailing me, so that is good, but the main prospect right now is the job I interviewed for this afternoon. I am thinking very hard about it, it would be a good challenge and I think that I am more than capable of what they want. I am just having a little self doubt. Until this week, I had never been fired, never been formally reprimanded, never had any major failings. I am sure that is to be expected.

• Like 3

Kentucky is where I have made my home. I don't have family outside of my wife and daughter. My wife has created a career here, and my daughter has been in the same school since kindergarten. While Tennessee will always be 'home' to me, Kentucky is home to my family.

My part time job really came through for me, the District Manager met with me tonight while I was working at another store and told me that anything I needed, to just ask. I told him all I needed was hours until I could get everything figured out. He told me that any and all available hours at any district store I wanted to be at would be mine. I am currently picking up hours at three different area locations.

So with that said, I have nothing buy great things to say about Domino's and it's people. My wife is even greatly impressed with how they have reacted. I literally told my manager on Tuesday what happened, and within an hour she had me hours for the rest of the week at another store.

That meant a lot.

I have several folks calling and emailing me, so that is good, but the main prospect right now is the job I interviewed for this afternoon. I am thinking very hard about it, it would be a good challenge and I think that I am more than capable of what they want. I am just having a little self doubt. Until this week, I had never been fired, never been formally reprimanded, never had any major failings. I am sure that is to be expected.

All part of getting older, we are not perfect.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Hard Knocks Club and I mean that with all do respect. Like Red333 said, "it's all part of getting older". We've all had set backs, it's how you deal with those set backs that builds character. You sound like you have your act together and you will do well. Good luck, and don't beat yourself over this.

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 1

But you are more than capable of doing most things because you are level headed, don't get too worked up about things and can actually think, reason and solve things.

I have been thinking all night about what they want, and I already have a plan in place once I get some questions answered. So I think in my mind it is already a done deal. I still have some emails and phone calls to return, but we will see. This whole thing has really surprised me. I feel like I am watching a movie. My mind has been screaming and losing it, but my body has been getting up and walking, being relaxed and calm. I didn't speak, I gathered my belongings and walked out of the building. Through the entire thing I haven't stopped doing exactly what needed to be done to move forward. Phone calls to my references, phone calls to any contact that could help me forward. Writing a resume, filling out applications, going to work at other pizza places, and being a rockstar there ("Hey, are you familiar with the area? You are doing awesome!" "No, I have never been within fifty miles of this place. I have a GPS, can read a map like a book and have been dispatching deliveries for over ten years.")

I guess the word would be surreal. Going through buying the house was the same way. Growing up how I did and being the man I am today often amazes me. There are times that my mind checks out and just stands there wondering where it all came from and how I do it, but at the end of the day, I just keep on keeping on. Even now, having a family, a wife, daughter, a house, two new cars, when I think of where I started in life and the things I have done, I feel like the richest man in the world.

Just don't throw the training manual at anyone when you leave.

That made me seriously laugh. What ever happened to that cat, didn't he come back and say that he had gotten another pizza job?

• Like 1