Thinking of buying pocket 380/9mm

espacef1fan

I pocket carry my Diamondback .380.  I love how it disappears in my pocket.  I rarely see them mentioned on lists, but I love the little guy.  It fits the same holster as my Ruger LCP did.  I swapped it for the Diamonback because I was always frustrated that the LCP did not have sights that I was comfortable with.  I could shoot fine when shooting paper, but shooting steel plates or trying to shoot drills was less than satisfactory.  It looks and breaks down just like a tiny little Glock.  The trigger pull is a little long, but not worse than the LCP.  I also had a Kel Tec .32 which I loved but was stolen from me (had it in my briefcase in my car, outside a hospital that was posted.)

Interesting.  I've thought about these and found them at Buds for less than 200 bucks.  I seem to remember some mixed reviews a while back but don't recall what the issues were.  Maybe +P ammo blowing them up or something?

Interesting.  I've thought about these and found them at Buds for less than 200 bucks.  I seem to remember some mixed reviews a while back but don't recall what the issues were.  Maybe +P ammo blowing them up or something?

they produced a very low quality gun initially.   this would be right at 10 years back?   Since then they have done much better and rival kel-tec and similar for producing a functional but inexpensive weapon.   I have not heard a lot of complaints about DB in some time...   

I can't think of many brands that have never had some major issues along the way.  Glock is one, but they only have 1 design, so they only get 1/2 credit :P

Keltec p32 for when you want a gun but don't want to feel the gun at all. 9oz loaded with 8 rounds.

Absolutely agree! I barely feel that 1/2 pound of gun, even if I'm wearing basketball shorts around the house without the drawstring tied. Awesome little gun...love mine.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

they produced a very low quality gun initially.   this would be right at 10 years back?   Since then they have done much better and rival kel-tec and similar for producing a functional but inexpensive weapon.   I have not heard a lot of complaints about DB in some time...   

I can't think of many brands that have never had some major issues along the way.  Glock is one, but they only have 1 design, so they only get 1/2 credit :P

I ended up buying one of these.  I found a gen2 model at a LGS for $220.  I had a few malfunctions during the first 50 rounds, but since then it's been great.  The sights are good and I'm actually quite accurate with it at 7yds.  Trigger is better than an LCP in my opinion. 

Good weapon for those in the market.

I have pocket carried the Kahr PM9, Shield, P238, and P3-AT with Armalaser. The Shield I'd rate as unsatisfactory because the thumb safety is too small. I much prefer the safety on the P238. Among the others, it's just a personal choice. The P3-AT requires some extra practice because it's so small. 

You should consider putting the aftermarket Northwood trigger on you P11 or doing the trigger mods on http://www.thektog.org/

There's also a frame mod for the P11. Basically you sand down all the rough edges and reshape the tang to better fit your hand.  Then, you buff it out and add a hogue style grip.  You can also sand down the angles on the slide and re-blue it. You'd be surprised how much these minor mods improve the look of the P11. There are probably some pics over at KTOG.

What isn't good about the tauras compared to the lcr?

It's a Taurus!  I my experience subject to go belly-up at any time.  QA has been terrible.  Service takes forever.  Would not want my life to depend on it.  Otherwise, when they work they seem to do well.  This is based on my personal experience.

I got a S&W J-Frame Mdl 38 Bodyguard that carries well in the pocket!  I favor the .38spl over a .380ACP any day of the week.

Moped has given some good advice here...

I've got a Sig 238 and several "J" frames... The lightweight "J" frames carry as well for me as the 238... My 26 year old likes the 238... young, tight jeans...Pistol is slimmer... Me... Geezer... Loose fitting dungarees... I cant tell the difference... Don't overlook a small double action revolver...

leroy

• Like 2
I wouldn't recommend a PPK. A friend of mine has one. Overpriced and not all that great. Trigger is awful and reliability is iffy. If you want something similar, look at a Bersa.

My dad has an older Colt Mustang. It's really nice. Smooth, small, and recoil is nil because it's recoil operated instead of blowback.

All that said, I'd look at a small 9mm. Better energy and not much size trade-off.
  • Like 1

Moped has given some good advice here...

I've got a Sig 238 and several "J" frames... The lightweight "J" frames carry as well for me as the 238... My 26 year old likes the 238... young, tight jeans...Pistol is slimmer... Me... Geezer... Loose fitting dungarees... I cant tell the difference... Don't overlook a small double action revolver...

leroy

Leroy and I like our comfort.  Loose jeans or khakis and DeSantsi Nemesis holster hid my little J-frame well in the front right pocket.

Someone poo-poed Taurus several posts back.  I have a little Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 that has been a dandy little pistol!  With 500 rounds down the tube with NO PROBLEMS!  Taurus upped their game with this pistol, finally!!!

• Like 1

I've had the Sig238, Sig 938 SAS, Sig P230, Kimber Solo 9, XDS 9, CW9, PM9 and CW380. The only single stacks  I still have and carry are the PM9 and CW380.

The Kahr's are hard to beat for size, reliability,  easy of carry and smooth trigger pull.

I have a model 36 J frame, Sig P-238 and a Ruger LC9s. They are all 100% reliable but I carry the LC9s mostly. The P-238 is a honey but being single action I carry it IWB in an N-8-Squared holster. The Model 36 I love to carry but the LC9s fits my pocket better. Don't get the LC9 hammer fired unless you like a trigger pull longer than "War and Peace". The LC9s has a sweet trigger.
I also have a North American Arms, Sidewinder in 22 magnum that fits my pocket like a pocket knife. I use it as a BUG but pray that I never have to use it. It works well and is surprisingly accurate. I just don't think that is what you are looking for.

The Glock 42 was my introduction to the world of pocketing carrying. My recipe for success has been a Nemesis DeSantis holster, Trijicon HD night sights, Ghost Inc Edge connector to reduce the trigger pull from 9 LBS to 5 LBS, + Federal HST's. When I am not pocket carrying the G42, I have a G43 that I AIWB in a T.Rex Arms Sidecar appendix rig. Like my G42, I have Trijicon HD night sights + Federal HST's in my magazines + in the tube. At some point in the near future, I will purchase Ruger LCP.

Ladies + gentlemen, my EDC. G42 or G43 + Benchmade Griptilian x SureFire Titan Plus

81B09EA0-AF06-4F41-81BE-34EC22621C25_zps

Edited by Cartel
  • Like 2
I've hemmed and hawed but I think I'm at Sig238/938 or a PPK. I will likely just buy what I get a deal on. I've shot a PPK and loved it. Same for the 938, it was great even with the flush fit mag.

As for the earlier Tauras pt111 g2 remark, I have that already, it's awesome. My only complaint is the stippling is slightly too aggressive for all day iwb carry
  • Like 1