Will you get a flu shot this winter?

jgradyc

My wife and daughter already had their shots.  My son was supposed to get his at school this week when they were doing them there.  He caught the flu sometime last week and was down for 4 days.  Neither my wife or daughter caught it from him.  I know the perception is that the flu shot is not that effective when you just look at the percentages, but the more people who get the shot, the less it spreads.  It's math.

I will go with herd immunity.

I never have and got the flu only once that I can recall as a child. I never gave much thought to it as my immune system seems to work abnormally well, I seldom get sick and kick infections usually in a week or less and rarely need antibiotics. 

With that in mind I have never given any thought on how it may effect others if I am a carrier of sorts. I'll have to think it over a bit more, but at least I see a point to doing it now when I never had before.

• Like 1

This is impossible with modern flu shots.  If your wife gets sick after getting the shot, she likely contracted the flu virus before or shortly after getting the shot.  It takes a week or two to be effectively protected.

My son caught it last year and this year.  Last year he caught it before shots were available, and this year just before he was supposed to get it.  Had he gotten the shot last week, he still would have gotten sick, and a lay person would attribute that to the flu shot.  That isn't how it works.

ETA: The vaccine isn't 100%.  Not even close.  So many people get the shot and get the flu anyway.  This tends to be the argument for not getting a shot, which actually makes the flu spread even worse.  If people would simply do a little research and accept that science holds more water than wives tales, we might save a few thousand lives this year.

:shrug: I'm sure you know more about the science of the shot than I do. It's true though... each year she felt fine, got the shot, got sick within a couple days (maybe not actual flu sick but made her feel horrible for several days). She made the decision not to get it anymore last year and didn't get the flu. :shrug:

I made the decision for myself because IT'S A SHOT! :) I hate shots. Plus I haven't had the flu in at least a decade (fingers crossed so I don't jinx it :) ) I'm in airports and airplanes all the time for my job rubbing shoulders with everybody, so I've aquired a pretty strong resistance maybe. It works for me.

How effective is the nasal immunization?

I think that TMF and Wingshooter could both be correct. 

You can't get the flu from a flu shot (flu shot - dead virus, nasal spray - weakened live virus), but you can get flu symptoms from the flu shot.  I regularly experience this when I get a flu shot (on medicine that suppresses my immune system).

From WebMD:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/prevention-15/vaccines/fact-sheet-vaccines

"If you get the flu shot, you might have a mild fever and feel tired or achy after you get vaccinated. Some people also have soreness, redness, or swelling where they got their shot. These problems aren’t serious and don’t last long."

So you don't get the flu, but can feel bad after getting the shot.  I usually feel bad for a couple of days, but I get the shot every year.  Worth it to me to have a fighting chance of avoiding the full-blown flu.

• Like 2

I had never had a flu vaccine until I was 51. I had never had the flu until I was 50. That one bout was enough to convince me to start getting them... particularly since I ain't getting any younger. I was never a conspiracy theorist on flu shots (or fluoridated water either), I just never needed them.

So yeah, I'm getting one... I threw my tin-foil hat away years ago.

I never got it before having kids. Now that we have kids everyone gets vaccinated every year. Anything I can do do avoid having a sick child or children, I will do. Plus, being self-employed makes taking off work really difficult at times. Much easier to flex my schedule or work light weeks, but being out altogether can be terrifying.

..... Plus, being self-employed makes taking off work really difficult at times.

Just pop by a CVS that has the Minute Clinic. Minute Clinic hours at my local one at 5511 K.P.

M-F 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Sat 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Sun 10:00 AM - 5:30 PM

Never mind. Rereading, I see you meant taking time off to be with sick kids, not just to get a shot.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 weeks later...

I have never gotten the flu and have never gotten a flu shot but this year I HAD to get a flu shot cause I work at Vanderbilt even know I am never around patients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife also works for them and is required to get one, even though she works from home.....65 miles away.

Nope, I will not get one.  I know all the docs say you can't get the flu from the flu shot, but I find it ironic the one year both my wife and I got the flu shot we both got the flu.  Strange coincidence maybe, but when your 2 yr old is running around on Christmas day playing with new toys and both parent feel like death warmed over, yeah, that made Christmas a real memorable one.

We haven't got the shot since, and neither of us have had the flu.

It takes two weeks for the your bidy to generate immunity. If you get infected with the flu anywhere from 4 days prior to the vaccination to 10 days later, people will think either the vaccine didn't work or the vaccine gave them the flu.

Can the vaccine cause you to feel sick as your immune system responds? Yes, but it is rarely as bad as the flu itself. If a person gets full-blown flu soon after the vaccine, it means that they should have been vaccinated sooner, not that the vaccine gave them the flu.
  • Like 1