Will you get a flu shot this winter?

jgradyc

The whole family has theirs, shots for me and the wife and youngest and mist for the oldest boy. I actually got mine the first of September but the rest didnt get theirs til the first of October. I work for a pharmacy and we have been peddling them since the first week of August. The current flu shots are from a dead strain of flu, it is impossible to get the flu from these shots. Many moons ago when they gave live viruses as shots, it was a very real possibility, but that hasnt been the case in decades.

....The current flu shots are from a dead strain of flu, it is impossible to get the flu from these shots. ..

Facts don't matter. Some people will always say the shot makes them sick. I think they're being infected by black panthers. :)

- OS

• Like 2
I have given this much thought and I think I will start doing it. Flu shots have killed and seriously injured people; that is a fact that isn’t denied by any Doctors I have heard of. The flu kills people; that also is a fact. The only people I have read that tried to discount the numbers of people the flu has killed; count being over 55 as a preexisting condition. That’s crazy.

So I roll the dice...

Here's a summary of CDC data encompassing the period 1976-77 through 2006-07.  Excerpt:  "A previous study (2) presented an average annual estimate of 25,420 influenza-associated respiratory and circulatory deaths during a 23-season period; this study estimated an average of 23,607 annual influenza-associated deaths using the same model but over a 31-year period. The findings in this report are similar to those of previous CDC studies (2,3) and other cross-decade studies that used similar models (4,7)."

One thing you have to recognize is that true influenza infection results in widespread systemic effects:respiratory and circulatory most heavily affected, but you can also see renal, hepatic and even Central Nervous System (CNS) effects in some people.  Therefore, the cause of death is more likely not "influenza" itself - it is a breakdown/overwhelming of one of the bodies primary systems (ie, pneumonia, cardiac/vascular failure, secondary infections (respiratory and otherwise) due to immunosuppression brought on by the overall degradation in health, etc).

As earlier noted, true influenza infection is debilitating - you usually fell like you've been hit by a truck that then backed over you to see what he hit.  Average recovery time for people otherwise generally healthy runs 3-4 days; if you have any kind of underlying health condition, that can double or more. 

This article provides estimates of the number of influenza cases, cases requiring medical intervention, and cases resulting in hospitalizations that were averted by the 2013-2014 vaccine (latest year for which data is compiled). During October 2013–May 2014, influenza vaccination resulted in an estimated 7.2 million fewer illnesses, 3.1 million  fewer medically attended illnesses, and 90,068  fewer hospitalizations  associated with influenza.  In that vaccine year, the predominant strain was an influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 virus: H1N1 serotypes are generally associated with a lesser degree of hospitalization than the Influenza A H3N2 serotypes that have been predominant in most recent years.

Edited by GKar
  • Like 1

I always get vaccinated.  I caught the flu in the years when the vaccine strains needed were inaccurately predicted.  The first time I felt so bad I went to the hospital thinking I had something else; that was a year with a dismal success rate of the vaccine.  The second time, the overall illness was much less severe; I recovered much faster and was not as miserable.  So I have been vaccinated yearly for the last 13 years and got infected twice, both times due to poor vaccine strain predictions in those years.

On one of those years, my wife also got infected after me, so she got to the doctor early enough to start Tamiflu.  She had an allergic reaction that caused an extensive skin rash, so she had to stop it.  

For those who feel sick for a few days after the vaccine, there is a good chance that is your immune response to the vaccine making you feel that way.  I would bet that most people who feel sick after the vaccine are not nearly as miserable as they would be if they had the actual virus.  Basically, all the symptoms of flu are your immune responses to the virus.  Also, by the time you feel sick, you may have already infected other people.

That's likely cheaper than the productivity lost to the flu.

Exactly. What it will cost me to get shots for the whole office is less than what I would lose if I have one developer out for only one day.

Of course I am doing this to keep my employees healthy. It's just a happy coincidence that it protects the bottom line. [emoji3]
  • Like 6