My #1 top Show & Tell ever

rugerla1

The very first high powered rifle I shot as a kid was my Dad's Savage Model 99e in .308 Win. Of course even then, it was amazing to watch my Dad shoot it, and train my younger brother and I the correct and safe way to handle weapons. I loved shooting his Rem 870, his Super Blackhawk .44 mag, his Security Six .357, his multiple .22 lr rifles and the Stevens 20 gauge single shot that was our first "my own" gun. But there was always "something" about that Savage. At that point in my life, I didn't have a favorite type of rifle as in bolt action vs lever action so I know it didn't have anything to do with my affection for this particular 99. I think most of it was just because it was Dad's, but a lot was because I watched him re-checker it and change the stock from the darker color to the almost blonde color that it has been most of it's life.

In my 20's I slipped into the work, chase girls, drink beer, and hanging with friends mode. So my hunting and shooting days were very few and far between, something I regret to this day. As I entered my 30's all of that faded away and hunting & shooting became part of my desires again. Dad and I talked guns and ammo talk more than we ever had, and I'd missed that. Somewhere along the way I'd started messing with him saying "Dad, you know that ole Savage is just gathering dust. You need me to take care of it for you? <insert laugh>". He'd always come back with one of a hundred responses ranging from "I think I'm gonna get it out and clean it" to "You know, I believe I'm gonna deer hunt with that this year" and the occasional "Oh, you'll get it one of these days". The latter being the one that worried me because I didn't want to get it the way most children get their parents weapons, in a will. But the jokes have continued all this time and even in texts: "Dad, just wanted to see if y'all were coming down this weekend .308" or I'd text him and say "I have break coming up, call me at 3:08" and always made for good laughs but to no avail haha.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and Dad began asking about my Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308 and talking about getting one. We talked stock and optic options as well as pricing variances. I began online shopping and sending him info on different ways he could go. He came in town this past Tuesday to visit with us while my brother and his family were in town from San Diego. He'd also picked up my new bow and brought it in with him so I met him at Bass Pro after work and we talked a lot and looked at some rifles while shooting the crap about life happenings. We left empty handed, which never happens with us, and we'd decided to go to local gun shops on Thursday and Friday for more shopping and hands on. He ended up buying the SPS Wednesday while I was at work, so shopping was done haha. He had them mount his base, rings, and his Leupold scope when he picked it up. I told him that we'd sight it in Saturday while we were having a family get together in Whites Creek.

Saturday morning comes and I've packed up a couple AR's and my Rem 700, a ton of ammo and targets for a day of shooting that I've been waiting for a LONG time. One with my brother and Dad being there at the same time. With my brother being in S.D. it's rare to have the time and place availability for us to shoot together. I show up at my sister's place, start unloading everything before Dad gets there and he pulls in shortly after. I meet him at the back of his truck and we're looking at his new rifle, as he grins and tells me he can't wait to shoot it. He's a Marine so I know he's excited  :usa:

Everyone spreads away from the truck tailgate and Dad says "Hey, I gotta talk to you about something when everyone leaves". I'm thinking of what I could have done to hear those words after all these years of no ass whoopins lol. He slides another rifle case towards the tailgate and starts to open it while speaking "Look, I know you've loved this rifle since you were a kid. I'm sure I'm gonna be happy with this new one. I know you'll appreciate it for what it is, and I know you'll take good care of it. Put it in the truck and take care of it." This is the part where I just stare at the rifle, then stare at Dad in pure disbelief for what seemed like 30 minutes but was in reality probably 2 minutes. If I'd had to guess how I would have reacted I would probably think big smile, screaming with excitement, telling him thank you a hundred times and hugging him and saying I love you and I'll take good care of it. Well, that is NOT what happened, I couldn't say anything, probably mumbled something I'm not sure followed by a "Are you serious or teasing me again?" Well it was real, I didn't touch the gun, I hugged him and thanked him and told him I loved him and that I was glad that he handed it to me and that I didn't have to wait until he was unable to use it anymore to get it. My arms were covered in goosebumps the entire time, he even noticed it and said "Damn, are you okay?" I told him I wasn't sure. 

I packed it in the truck, still not believing that I was taking it home. Then we got out the SPS's and sighted his in. It was dead on accurate and he was needless to say very excited with it! My brother came down in the field and shot it as well which made it the perfect day! Anyway, sorry it's so long but if someone bought me a Barrett .50 cal tomorrow it would not be a more exciting Show & Tell thread for me. I can't wait to shoot it, try out some different ammo in it, and will definitely be taking it in the woods this year to deer hunt once gun season opens up!!

Signed,

Happy Ain't The Word

20151009_215447_zpscmoffi5y.jpg

20151009_215522_zpskvlfmcrw.jpg

20151009_215540_zpsksljfxz2.jpg

20151009_215548_zpsrbx5s4up.jpg

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 18

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!!!

I think I'm gonna have hunt Roane County and get a picture of me off the same ridge as my profile picture. The current picture is my Marlin 336 that was my Pappaw's, it would be cool to have the same picture with my Dad's Savage.

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1

Lots of similiaries in your story to my own.  I guess I am a wuss, as my wife must be cutting some onions right now (hint) at 7am in the morning.  Anyway great rifle, even greater story

To me guns are a link to the past with my dad.  I still have my dad, but its not like what I remember.  BTW, my dad can still out shoot me till this day.  He has always been good. 

• Like 1

Lots of similiaries in your story to my own.  I guess I am a wuss, as my wife must be cutting some onions right now (hint) at 7am in the morning.  Anyway great rifle, even greater story

To me guns are a link to the past with my dad.  I still have my dad, but its not like what I remember.  BTW, my dad can still out shoot me till this day.  He has always been good. 

Thanks Runco! My Dad can still out shoot me too so don't feel bad :rofl:

So you other 99 owners, do you use Otis cleaning method for your rifles? I know a lot of people probably run the brush on regular rod from muzzle to breach and I guess if you're holding the rifle upside down to reduce getting junk in the action it may be "okay". But I'd rather not do it that way if I can help it. After seeing the Otis cleaning kit being used in videos, I think I will grab one of them. It's not like I can't use it on my AR's as well.

I know a bore snake is another option, and I have one in .308 already. Should I just use that and be done with my search?

So you other 99 owners, do you use Otis cleaning method for your rifles? I know a lot of people probably run the brush on regular rod from muzzle to breach and I guess if you're holding the rifle upside down to reduce getting junk in the action it may be "okay". But I'd rather not do it that way if I can help it. After seeing the Otis cleaning kit being used in videos, I think I will grab one of them. It's not like I can't use it on my AR's as well.

I know a bore snake is another option, and I have one in .308 already. Should I just use that and be done with my search?

I've got the otis stuff and I like the method fine, but honestly I'm looking at redoing my cleaning supplies in the next little while and when I do I will be throwing the otis kit in a rang bag in favor of traditional rods and possible a few bore snakes. YMMV, but for me the Otis is too much of a pita to deal with anymore with all the swapping of heads, taking the pulling handle out, threading the cable through, putting the handle back in, the cable getting covered in gunk which translates quickly to hands covered with gunk.... No, just no. No mas por favor.

Congrats on the beautiful rifle btw and very nice story to boot. It's nice that yo can enjoy ownership and your fathers company at the same time.

• Like 1

I've got the otis stuff and I like the method fine, but honestly I'm looking at redoing my cleaning supplies in the next little while and when I do I will be throwing the otis kit in a rang bag in favor of traditional rods and possible a few bore snakes. YMMV, but for me the Otis is too much of a pita to deal with anymore with all the swapping of heads, taking the pulling handle out, threading the cable through, putting the handle back in, the cable getting covered in gunk which translates quickly to hands covered with gunk.... No, just no. No mas por favor.

Congrats on the beautiful rifle btw and very nice story to boot. It's nice that yo can enjoy ownership and your fathers company at the same time.

It does seem like it could get a tad irritating, but convenient for a range bag for sure. With my Marlin 336, takedown for cleaning is a breeze and able to use a regular cleaning rod with no problem. But with the Savage, it's more complicated and I don't really want to be taking it down like that every time I go to the range just to clean it.

And thank you, proud to share the story and happy to be able to share guns and memories with my Dad for sure!
  • Like 1

Congratulations! A fine deer rifle with history.

As for cleaning, I use a non metallic rod and gently go at it from the bore end. They really don't require a bore cleaning every time you shoot them.

I've probably shown you the one my father restocked and gave me for my birthday a couple of years ago. If not, here it is.

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_2291_zpsba75f151.jpg.html]IMG_2291_zpsba75f151.jpg[/URL]    

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_2290_zpsa1443f95.jpg.html]IMG_2290_zpsa1443f95.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_2289_zpsf91376f4.jpg.html]IMG_2289_zpsf91376f4.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_2288_zpsa7f639a6.jpg.html]IMG_2288_zpsa7f639a6.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_2287_zps34d8ed1c.jpg.html]IMG_2287_zps34d8ed1c.jpg[/URL]

It isn't a collector gun, as there's little original about it, but it's pretty cool anyway. I've killed two deer with three shots with it so far. The third shot later proved unnessasary.

• Like 1