Emergency Alert System Sucks

Oh Shoot

So, they've cut into all progamming (on Comcast at least), FIVE friggin times in the last hour or so.

The first 3 times, there was no audio, no information at all. The 4th time, there was audio which only said when the alert was issued. The 5th time, finally, there was a description, with no real info past Hispanic, mom with 1 year old, fled St. Louis.

And of course the damn things always last 3 times as long as the actual information imparted before they finally go away.

Seen a lot of that lately, completely information free cut ins. Whoever is in charge of this system should be fired immediately.

/rant

- OS

• Like 2
My phone has all that kinda stuff turned off. No cable TV at our house. No TV's period. I believe they cause stress, and the less I have the better. We have Comcast Internet. I'm not happy with the service they provide. I hate to give Comcast my money every month, but my wife needs it for work. Our bill is around $65 a month.

I'm glad nobody was harmed in all of this. Seems like it was a pretty big deal.

I joked with my wife that I wanted to get my cell phone on the "Do Not Amber Alert List", like I'm on the "Do Not Call List" .
Of course, I get about (5) calls on my cell everyday with wonderful "business opportunities" from all over the country, so the do not Amber Alert list would probably be ignored as well.
Just kidding of course, I'm all about finding some lost kids...

and collecting rewards.

You can turn amber alerts off on your phone.  Look for something to the effect of "government or emergency alerts" in your settings.  That may impact weather alerts as well. 

• Like 2

So, they've cut into all progamming (on Comcast at least), FIVE friggin times in the last hour or so.

The first 3 times, there was no audio, no information at all. The 4th time, there was audio which only said when the alert was issued. The 5th time, finally, there was a description, with no real info past Hispanic, mom with 1 year old, fled St. Louis.

And of course the damn things always last 3 times as long as the actual information imparted before they finally go away.

Seen a lot of that lately, completely information free cut ins. Whoever is in charge of this system should be fired immediately.

/rant

- OS

You must be mistaken. The alert system is run by the gubmint, so I know it works, A-OK, #1.

• Like 2

It is certainly an interesting system, how do "they" expect people in TN to have any participation in something that's taking place in Missouri?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee does border Missouri.  You can get from St. Louis to Memphis or Nashville in less than 4 hours.

Tennessee does border Missouri. You can get from St. Louis to Memphis or Nashville in less than 4 hours.

Good point, I guess since I live in eastern TN I didn't really think about it. It's a solid 7 hrs away from where I am located though.

• Like 1

those alerts scare the sh*t out of me.  Deep in some homework or something and BRRRRRBEEEEEBIIIBRRRBEEEEEEEE like Noah is sending a text message telling me to hurry and get on the ark.

Hopefully they don't start burning people out on them, not suggesting these are not serious concerns, but just from the frequency of occurrence.  

Edited by Sam1

those alerts scare the sh*t out of me.  Deep in some homework or something and BRRRRRBEEEEEBIIIBRRRBEEEEEEEE like Noah is sending a text message telling me to hurry and get on the ark.

Hopefully they don't start burning people out on them, not suggesting these are not serious concerns, but just from the frequency of occurrence.

I think it sounds more like ERRRRP ERRRRP ERRRRP .... ;)
  • Like 1

Comcast's EAS gear really sucks. And, I'm not so sure which civil authority sent that thing out. Probably TEMA. Anyway, you got a lot more gov'ment types sticking their peckers into the system these days.

Don't know about Comcast itself, but the localized cell broadcast system is pretty cool as far as technology is concerned.  Did a paper on it a few years back, what kicked off the interest in it was the big tsunami incident.  There was a lot of cell coverage in the remote areas, but no other mass communication system; could have saved tens of thousands of people.

Edited by Sam1

It is certainly an interesting system, how do "they" expect people in TN to have any participation in something that's taking place in Missouri?

They were headed this way. They were actually found in the Nashvilke area.