Muzzleloader season

Saw one doe yesterday morning and a lot of tree rats. Yesterday evening, saw one deer but, don't know what it was and a few turkeys. Just got in this morning because of a honeydoo list. Saw 5 does, one spike and one 7 point. Good luck to everybody.

Only saw one small doe yesterday morn but it was in an all out sprint, then I saw why.

Some small white dog about 35, 40 yds behind.

This dog messed me up a couple times last year. :yuck:  :wall:

Late in the afternoon saw another doe about 120 to 130 yds.

And shortly before 5 had a small buck, antlers barely above the ears, he was probably 60 yds.

Could've shot him but decided to pass.

Didn't go this morn, but will try again here in a little while.

Good luck to ya all.

Ruger sorry ya missed, better luck next time.

Edited by Sidinman

I had a good opening morning. Saw over a dozen deer. Had a doe, yearling and 6 point under me first thing. Passed on them. I saw something I had never seen before. Several hen turkeys came past me and one hen gobbled. It was a softer gobble, but it was a gobble.

Changed stands around 7:30 and saw 2 shooter bucks cross the corn field 1000 yards away. I moved to get along the ridge they were headed towards. I made it there and set up just a few minutes before they got there. Unfortunately they were in the thick stuff and didn't offer a shot. I walked a bit and walked up on two other smaller bucks. One was making a scrape at 9:30am. I walked within 50 yards of him before he noticed me. Finally raised his head and he wasn't a shooter either. 

We are covered up in rubs and scrapes. The farmer is cutting corn now, so hopefully will get to "see" more deer. 

I went back this afternoon, but only saw one doe. I did see a gang of turkeys, around 40 or 50 and several longbeards. About sunset they went to making a helluva lot of noise before going to roost. I got to find a different evening spot. I can't hunt around those noisey things. I couldn't hear a dang thing for 45 minutes. 

I didn't see anything but squirrels, and they were running around like crackheads! It was overcast and cool so I was really hopeful. Would have been pretty cool to kill a deer on opening day of ML the first time I've used one. But hey, I'm off all week. Only drawback is that I'll only be able to get in the woods around 830 each morning after I drop my daughter off at school. I'm not complaining though, I enjoy getting to spend time with her in the mornings. Maybe it will work out to my advantage and I'll pull in to my spot and there'll be a deer standing there waiting for me lol

The last 10 years i hunted I seldom got in the woods before 8:30AM and most times bagged a deer between 10:00 Am and 1PM. I think the deer know that many hunters leave the woods for lunch break and return in the evening and it seems they begin to move more during those hours so just something to put back in your memory bank for future references..........jmho

• Like 3

The last 10 years i hunted I seldom got in the woods before 8:30AM and most times bagged a deer between 10:00 Am and 1PM. I think the deer know that many hunters leave the woods for lunch break and return in the evening and it seems they begin to move more during those hours so just something to put back in your memory bank for future references..........jmho

You're right. I killed a buck last year right after lunch. But this property, I've been hunting for 13ish years and mid-day rarely are any deer seen. I only know this because I tend to do all day hunts even though I hurt worse when I get home than I used to lol Edited by rugerla1

You're right. I killed a buck last year right after lunch. But this property, I've been hunting for 13ish years and mid-day rarely are any deer seen. I only know this because I tend to do all day hunts even though I hurt worse when I get home than I used to lol

Yep, Aches and pains for me is was got me out of the woods plus I always had to have someone else come and pick up my deer. Physical limitations prevented me from doing it on my own. Body is held together with mesh and bailing wire....... :rofl: Doctor says 5 lbs limit on any lifting period so unless I had a partner or family member able to go with me I had to call someone if I put one down so I just quit hunting deer. That was why I decided to pick my best hours to hunt between 8 AM and 1PM because those were my best hours and a chance to bag one........... :up:

• Like 1

Culled this guy out of the gene pool this morning! Perfect morning to be out there. About a 15 yard shot.3ce73a7a70504aa3610417225316694b.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations!

It was a good chilly morning! 645am I had a deer come in from my right through some cedars. As it got to about 30 yds I realized it had a little rack...on one side lol. About a 7 or 8 inch spike that had just split into two for about an inch or so. He was a little feller and I gave him credit for having the balls to fight and bust his rack up and watched him all the way to 5 yards. He was sniffing the ground and twigs, so I watched him and let him walk so he could get bigger. About 20 minutes later I heard the neighbor shoot in the exact spot the deer cross the property line on to his. Oh well, I tried lil feller. At first I was mad that I didn't take him. But, I corrected myself and when I left the woods I was happy with my decision. I've never killed a monster buck, but I have no desire to kill those little ones unless I'm starving for food. All in all a great morning to be in the woods! (Except for my friend Lil Buck) Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1

Killed 2 does opening morning for the freezer, so I was looking for horns this morning. Had 4 does come behind me about 25 yards in some thick brush and kept hearing a buck chasing and grunting every few steps. Never could see him. About 930 this 9 point came out the ridge to my left, found an opening about 30 yards away and when he came into it, I unloaded on him.

Both deer last week where bang flops in the 4 wheeler trail. I paid for that today. He ran straight to the bottom of the ridge and died in the creek. It was either drag 150 yards straight up or about 4-500 yards down the creek, I chose the latter. I did jump a monster up out of the bottom dragging him out, one of the best deer I've ever seen while hunting. I know where I'll be come rifle season.
1113150954_zpsamj2ufhi.jpg

Edited by Bad_Bowtie
  • Like 3

Good job everybody!......well, everybody except rugerla1. :D :D  Just kidding. You'll get him soon.

Looks like the weather will be a little more favorable in the morning.

Lmao! I spent the afternoon at Hobson Pike range sighting my rifle in for new projectiles. No more crappy open sights on that muzzle loader. I only had time to sight it in at 25 yards before the range closed but almost all of my shots are 50 or less.
Gonna give it another shot in the morning, gonna be cold and I'm ready!

Good luck to y'all!

Left over tenderloin biscuits from yesterday are reheating in the oven.  About to putthe coveralls on and head out.  The landowner has seen a lot of deer where I'm headed today so hopefully I'll see something.  Need to make up for last weekend which was a wash.  This not being able to hunt at all during the week is killing me.  Usually I've been able to squeeze in a quick morning or evening hunt during the week but I've been working 8-5 so that really wipes that option out.  Good luck out there this weekend everyone and congratulations to those that were successful this week. 

• Like 1

Got to my spot a little late but managed to drop a fat doe a few minutes ago.  It was kind of strange.  I spotted her about 125 yards away but couldn't get a shot because there was a fence in the way.  I had decent cover to stalk towards the fence and she was walking away from me so I took off.  Right as I got to the fence she spotted me and must have thought that I was another deer or something because she started walking towards me. I took a shot as she was quartering towards me at 100 yards, she ran in a couple of circles and piled up.  I reloaded and am waiting for another.

• Like 2
Super excited about this afternoon! It'll be my first hunt in my favorite spot for 3 weeks. I'll be able to cover the whole wood line from across a field corner. The wind is perfect, I have awesome cover & there are 5 active trails coming out within 75yds. Fingers crossed!
  • Like 1

Dropped another doe about 7 this morning. Saw a very nice buck cross the gas line about 350 yards away and head into the hollow where I saw the big buck yesterday while dragging my 9 point out. I gotta get me a stand set up in there before rifle starts.
1114150631a_zps1rwks9yx.jpg
1114151009_zpsfff19wsa.jpg

Edited by Bad_Bowtie
  • Like 3