How Many Magazines?

My rule of thumb is to have at least twice the number of mags as I will ever carry.  As mentioned above, mags are consumable. They wear out, get damaged, dropped, and lost with amazing frequency when you're under pressure.

In the '80's I had an acquaintance who was a Panzer grenadier during WWII.  He said that he carried a captured PPSh41 with at least eight drums. (That's 568 rounds!)

When I was in the Army, I typically carried a dozen M16 30rd mags.  (Just 360 rds)

When I shoot submachine gun competitions with my Sterling, I carry 10 34rd mags.

For handguns, I usually carry two spares.  That should be enough to fight my way to a rifle.

So, my recommendations are to have at least six mags for each handgun, and 20-30 mags for your rifles.  More is always better.

• Like 1
I am really hard on my equipment, especially when I train. So I have about 50 AR mags of each platform (15 and 10) and 10 pistol of each gun I consider a "combat pistol".

As far as carrying, its all preference. My micro rig and belt allows me 6 rifle and 3 pistol. But remember if the SHTF you may need more than your battle load. (Damaged mags, trade, leaving them on the ground if you need to get off the X, etc) Better yo have and not need than need and not have. You can get a 10 pack of AR mags from DSG or Primary Arms for $100 shipped most holiday weekends.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree that you need a lot of magazines.  I probably have too many at the expense of the rest of my gear.  They are likely not going to loose much value though.  I have 25 AR mags painted orange set aside just for training.  Plus 10 in my go bag for work.  Plus one of nearly every type I can find for testing my lowers.  Plus a reserve of unused in the wrapper mags that I'd estimate at 50ish.  Plus 7 loaded with home defense ammo on my battle belt.  On the plus side they trade very well if they are new and I vividly remember how "high cap" 10/22 magazines values skyrocketed during the AWB.  

Glock magazines are the same way in my house.  3 dedicated carry magazines.  2 factory training magazines.  2 happy sticks.  Multiple new in wrapper G17 and G19 magazines.  4 GL9 magazines.  I am scarred to think that if I really look I would find more.  And yet I often buy more on a whim.  It's a sickness.   

• Like 1

The flaw is assuming that the mags we all buy are to be carried all at once. Mags are consumable items. Eventually they break, wear out, get lost, etc. If you cannot buy them later, you cannot have enough of them right now.

I've certainly broke a few aluminum mags in my day, but after being issued Pmags back in '09, I can't see those things failing unless something traumatic happens. After my deployment in '10, my Pmags looked like they'd been dragged behind a truck for several miles, but they were just fine. As for springs, I still haven't experienced a failure related to springs yet. Not saying that it isn't possible, but I would think that if it were that common, I would have experienced by now several times over.

I consider magazines as expendables in a gunfight, but as for wear and tear, I've only seen GI aluminum mags fail due to "moderate" exposure to real world conditions. It's why I'm strictly Pmag now. Even my AKs use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My thought on "enough mags" is that during the next panic I ought to be able to buy a boat and comfortably retire. Anything past that is just excessive.

My mags are funding a Mediterranean cruise with my wife. I pulled money out of the vacation investment account to buy them last year.

It's probably time to grab a couple of these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/719525/magpul-pmag-d-60-drum-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-60-round-polymer-black

The older I get, the more I appreciate the little things that make liberals piss their Dockers. I'm thinking Magpul may have had that in the back of their minds too. We know they gotta hate liberals almost as much as me. :)

I agree this looks quite good. And being a PMag product, I'd feel a bit better about it than some of the other hicap devices I've seen.

My thought on "enough mags" is that during the next panic I ought to be able to buy a boat and comfortably retire. Anything past that is just excessive.

Haha! Awesomesauce.

I'm of the mind that there is no such thing as too much of a valuable, durable good, as long it doesn't disproportionately cost you in terms of other necessities.

I have an office cabinet drawer full of empties/new, a go bag full of loaded, and a maybe another dozen loaded in other locations. I usually buy another 2-5/month in general just because. They make for great trading equalizers now, and it's nice to be able to just give a few to help out someone who just contracted EBR disease without worrying about my own stash.

My favorite mags are the Israeli E-Landers steel mags. Mako Defense just ran a great deal on them Thanksgiving week and I couldn't resist. They're stupid tough, but a littlw heavier than standard GI mags. I'm starting to have second thoughts about PMags and other poly mags in general. For some of mine that have been stored for a long time I'm seeing a round popped out every now and then, and I don't like the swelling feed lips making mag insertion a little more effort. I seriously doubt the E-Landers will EVER have those problems. Nope, they won't bounce back after getting run over by a truck, though. Whatevs.

Mags. Cuz Freedom holders.

In addition to breaking or being lost, magazines can get banned.  Not sure if it'll ever happen again in this country at the federal level, but anything is possible.  If you want to pass on to your children the freedoms we enjoy now as shooters, a lifetime supply + is not a bad idea (I wish it were so easy though with ammunition). 

With as cheap as AR and surplus AKM magazines have been the last couple years, you should have lots. 

• Like 5

In addition to breaking or being lost, magazines can get banned. Not sure if it'll ever happen again in this country at the federal level, but anything is possible. If you want to pass on to your children the freedoms we enjoy now as shooters, a lifetime supply + is not a bad idea (I wish it were so easy though with ammunition).

With as cheap as AR and surplus AKM magazines have been the last couple years, you should have lots.

That's a good point. It's the same reason why I've been scooping up cheap AR lowers as they have become available.

I only read a few responses so my thoughts won't be skewed.  Though some will see my posts as skewed anyway,  cause I am senile, grouchy and nuts.  Sort of like the other Mike.

I like the idea of a lot of mags for my assault rifle.  I have ten.  They are probably old as heck and came from a commie country.  I won't need more than one mag as if I ever had to deploy it in the zombie apocalypse.  I'll either be killed straight off or I can get a better rifle off the field if I am lucky enough to survive.

So ten for that.

I like having two for my range rifles.  Yanno, .22'a and such.  If I need a rifle for use in the post apocalypse world I have a single shot .22 that is accurate beyond belief. So wasting cash on mags for range rifles is a total waste.

I prefer to have two mags for all semi auto handguns.  My daily driver has two, I'd like two more.  The range pistols don't need more than that.

If you own a wheel gun as a "last gun to let go", who cares about mags? 

But this is me, it is not like I am wearing these out at the range.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1
Lol!

I'm happy when I can go to the range with half a dozen or so guns, have a bag full of mags already loaded, shoot around 3-400 rounds, and never have to reload a mag while I'm there. Sometimes I don't bring any ammo in boxes to the range at all. Once the mags are dry, go home. Still takes a couple hours. :/
  • Like 4

Lol!

I'm happy when I can go to the range with half a dozen or so guns, have a bag full of mags already loaded, shoot around 3-400 rounds, and never have to reload a mag while I'm there. Sometimes I don't bring any ammo in boxes to the range at all. Once the mags are dry, go home. Still takes a couple hours. :/

:no1:  THIS 

I hate having to reload mags while at the range. 

I do it quite differently, usually only bringing a few magazines for each weapon to the range.  I use the reloading time to relax, think about my shooting fundamentals, then go back to it.

Your method sounds more fun, though. ;)

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2

The flaw is assuming that the mags we all buy are to be carried all at once.  Mags are consumable items.  Eventually they break, wear out, get lost, etc.  If you cannot buy them later, you cannot have enough of them right now.

As an AK owner I will say that every steel AK magazine I own will probably outlast humanity.

• Like 3

As an AK owner I will say that every steel AK magazine I own will probably outlast humanity.

I've seen a loaded steel AK mag stop a 7.62x39 round fired from an AK at a distance less than 50m.  If the mushroomed in steel was bent back, and some duct tape wrapped around it, I bet it would have still worked.

6 is a minimum for a pistol. 10 is a minimum for a rifle. I want to be able to at least refill my magazine pouches and chest rig at least twice. That's my bare minimum.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My answer was going to be as many as you can afford, but this is a pretty darn good start.

I do it quite differently, usually only bringing a few magazines for each weapon to the range.  I use the reloading time to relax, think about my shooting fundamentals, then go back to it.

I am like this.  Even if f I take the AK to the range I reload the magazine I am using.  There is enough "cold" range time to do it, more than enough.  

I prefer shooting revolvers both double and single action when shooting handguns.  I find the unloading and reloading very therapeutic. Just banging away doesn't do it for me.

• Like 2

Depends on the gun. I have quite a stack of AR and AK magazines, along with several m1 carbine and mini 14 mags. A pretty good pile of 1911 mags reside here as well.

You just don't run down to WalMart and pick up extra mags, however, for a 1907 or 1917 Savage.

• Administrator

You and me both.  I take a few mags, boxes of ammo and enjoy the act of loading mags and talking to the folks in the the pit with me, or just use that time to think.    It's very relaxing.

• Like 1

You and me both.  I take a few mags, boxes of ammo and enjoy the act of loading mags and talking to the folks in the the pit with me, or just use that time to think.    It's very relaxing.

my thumbs start hurting after a while if I shoot and reload mags a bunch. Yeah, I am a sissy. 

Edited by XxthejuicexX
  • Administrator

my thumbs start hurting after a while if I shot and reload mags a bunch. Yeah, I am a sissy. 

Take a mag loader with you, or take some medical tape and wrap your thumbs.  I've wrapped my thumbs before during multi-day classes and it helps a lot.