What modern firearms do you think will be collectable in the future?

Erik88

Of the guns that are currently produced, what do you think will be collectable in 30, 40, or 50 years?

I'm thinking some high end 1911's will hold their value well.

Also, I was thinking some of the less common Sig p238's might be valuable one day. Sig is currently making more version of these than I can keep track of.

In my experience, items that you think will be collectible one day will not be. Otherwise, items that you assume will be of no value will one day be in demand. It is really just anyone's guess.

And the high point salesmen of the year award goes to Patton..... Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 4

This is a great topic.

Here are some I would think about:

S&W Revolvers

Quality government models

ARs

Quality AK 47s

Savage bolt actions

Marlin Lever Actions

Quality guns made of metal

Quality bolt actions

Weapons used by the US military

If you think about it, what do folks collect today?  Almost anything that is quality or used in the military.  Look at all of us that love the Mosins, K98s, Garands, 1903s, SKS's and AK 47s.

We have folks that collect guns from almost every quality manufacturer.

Hopefully, more folks will share ideas about what guns they think will be collectible.  

It's subjective, entirely up to the person buying.

Since the fall of Harrington Richardson, their Handi rifle barrels have doubled or tripled and in some instances, quadrupled in price. But, to many, they are worthless.
To me, any 1911 and most revolvers are worthless now, so they'll be worthless in the future. The next guy comes along and disagrees vehemently. So, if youre buying for an investment, just buy what you like. That way if you get stuck with it...meh, oh well.

This is a great topic.

Here are some I would think about:

S&W Revolvers

Quality government models

ARs

Quality AK 47s

Savage bolt actions

Marlin Lever Actions

Quality guns made of metal

Quality bolt actions

Weapons used by the US military

If you think about it, what do folks collect today?  Almost anything that is quality or used in the military.  Look at all of us that love the Mosins, K98s, Garands, 1903s, SKS's and AK 47s.

We have folks that collect guns from almost every quality manufacturer.

Hopefully, more folks will share ideas about what guns they think will be collectible.  

Who knows, that Mosin may be worth $142 thirty years from now.  :)

• Like 1
In the mid '90s I bought a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 1 and a plastic stock for it for about a hundred bucks. Now they're 300+. I bought a couple Swiss K31s for under a hundred bucks apiece about 9 years ago. Now they're about 300.

Same with Mausers. Cheap as dirt just a few years ago and now going for 300+.

I think the same thing will eventually happen with the Mosin Nagants. They've been cheap for a long time. But the price is gradually creeping up. At some point the supply will run out and the price will start to shoot up. And many people will say "if only we knew!" Well, we do know. I just wish I had a lot more disposable income to buy a few crates full.

Look at the Finnish M39. What are they going for now? 250-300? More? I could have bought them at under 200 when I had my C&R FFL.

As for non-surplus, you just never know. They high quality stuff will hold value and go up. (Winchester 1873.) The rare but cheap stuff will be sought after by collectors. (The Liberator, as mentioned.

If history is any indication, I'd look for something uncommon. The Remington R51, while a dud, will undoubtedly be sought after in the future as there aren't many in circulation.

45 GAP pistols, Some of the plethora of short magnum chambered rifles that went by the wayside, etc.

High quality and scarcity are two determining factors in the value of collector guns.

• Like 1

Setting aside political, apocalyptic, and other potential "need to use" scenarios I don't see the vast majority of ARs being collectible at all. There are just too many of them, they're too easily assembled, etc. It takes no real skill or talent to put one together, most modifications at most require removing some roll pins. I just don't expect to see folks clamoring for them the way that high end revolvers are sought after today. 

I agree with Greg, it will be stuff that was introduced and probably flopped big time. Maybe that goofy looking Rhino revolver, or stuff made by very small manufacturers. 

In the mid '90s I bought a Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 1 and a plastic stock for it for about a hundred bucks. Now they're 300+. I bought a couple Swiss K31s for under a hundred bucks apiece about 9 years ago. Now they're about 300.

Same with Mausers. Cheap as dirt just a few years ago and now going for 300+.

I think the same thing will eventually happen with the Mosin Nagants. They've been cheap for a long time. But the price is gradually creeping up. At some point the supply will run out and the price will start to shoot up. And many people will say "if only we knew!" Well, we do know. I just wish I had a lot more disposable income to buy a few crates full.

Look at the Finnish M39. What are they going for now? 250-300? More? I could have bought them at under 200 when I had my C&R FFL.

As for non-surplus, you just never know. They high quality stuff will hold value and go up. (Winchester 1873.) The rare but cheap stuff will be sought after by collectors. (The Liberator, as mentioned.

I remember when I was a little kid my dad had a Lee Enfield, surplus from WW2 he had bought at Western Auto for $15. in 1952. I remember it being about a foot taller than I was at the time, he sold it to a friend of his around 1968 for $30 he said. He also had a Luger for a short time, he never captured one in WW2 but bought one off a fellow GI for a little of nothing. A couple of guns that fall into that, "wish he had kept them" catagory. You just don't think about it at the time like years ago when I sold my Stainless Steel 6" barrel 1980ish Colt Python. Excuse me, I have to stand up so I can kick my own ass again for that.

You just don't think about it at the time like years ago when I sold my Stainless Steel 6" barrel 1980ish Colt Python. Excuse me, I have to stand up so I can kick my own ass again for that.

Yea, crap like that happens. Maybe you can go to a Python sellers support group. :)
  • Like 3
I think the future value of a firearm is tied to its historical significance.

The WWII FP-45 Liberator has been brought up several times. While it was basically a piece of crap in terms of a firearm that cost $2.10 to make, it gave a invaluable sense of hope to the war resistance fighters.

It's hard to tell it things like the Curve will increase in significant value. Maybe so, but my guess is it won't.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think imported guns have the best chance of increasing in value and becoming collectible, like Saiga 12s and AKM variants.  An import ban one day is a very real possibility. It's already been done with China, and history repeats itself you can count on that.  There will be more American-made AKMs as the supply of the foreign ones becomes finite, and the foreign AKs will command a premium. 

• Like 2

Who knows, that Mosin may be worth $142 thirty years from now.   :)

There is more to collectibility than price.  Lower prices allow collecting for those without much money.  After reading through the responses, I see that we all have a different definition of 'collectible'.  To me, collectible is anything that folks have more than one because they are cool or they like them.  Take the Mosin.  It's a simple gun.  Yet, there are forums devoted to Mosin's.  Most folks can afford them and ammo is reasonable (for now).

They have very high historical significance.  It was the primary sidearm used by the Russian's at Stalingrad.  The battle for Stalingrad was the beginning of the end for the Nazi's.

I just paid $420 for a nice M39 and consider it a bargain - and a little luck from the $20 hand select process.

Any Glock, they are the Mosin of the future.  Ugly, plentiful, and stupidly simple.

I think there are Glock collectors now.  I'm not a Glock guy and don't follow them, though I'll bet there are folks here that have Glocks they really don't need because they love Glocks.