Free to Good home: Blue Tick Dog

ReeferMac

I have a soft spot in my heart for a blue tick. You have to once you hear that bark, it is a one of a kind. Even now it tugs at my heart strings when I hear one.

Tao Tick was an old rapscallion that called my home his stomping grounds when I was a youth. "What you say old Tick?" Got shortened to Tao Tick over the years. One of the best dogs I ever had. I have waxed nostalgic on him a time or two around these parts. Damn fine dog he was.

We have Bandit now, got her from here on the board, and we would be lost without her. She is spoiled. Has two dog beds, but still sleeps in the master bed. Under the covers. With her head on a pillow. Well trained, too smart for her own good. She is two now. 

Good luck finding her a good home, it is out there.

• Like 1

I used to coon hunt and I always enjoyed working the dogs.  That being said the world would be a better place if half of the coon hunters that I ever met fell off in a sink hole somewhere and disappeared forever.  That's typical coon hunter mentality to dump their dog out somewhere and shoot it if it comes back. 

• Like 3

Man this is killing me... If this were this time next year we could take her and I want one very much. I'm just traveling too much with my job right now...Killing me...

I just got word that a Foster Home has been lined up and one of the local rescues has been made aware of her. I won't have word until the morning but it looks like everything is 100% taken care of aside from me picking her up on Thursday and bringing her back. I'm really excited to meet Lil Miss Daisy! I will get her all scrubbed up and then let the Foster Home take her from there. Good times and a great family are ahead for this little girl!

• Like 2

That's typical coon hunter mentality to dump their dog out somewhere and shoot it if it comes back.

Maybe nowadays, but not when my dad was a coonhunter. He bred Black and Tans for over 50 years, hunted from Iowa to Louisiana to Maine. High placers and winners in the world, little world, autumn oaks, St. Jude's and the 1972 TN champ. Nothing like a sooner or 'tick bawl, for sure. The cooners I met as a kid traveling with him back in the day were sometimes a little rough around the edges, but not asspimples like the one that this dog is thankfully shed of.

Good on Mrs.Monkey! That's a kind lady, right there.
  • Like 4

Good on Mrs.Monkey! That's a kind lady, right there.

I just prefer animals over humans mostly.  :up: But I'm just grateful everything is going to work out for her. I am really thankful that ReeferMac decided to share with us, so that I could help. 

I even received messages from members offering help with her vetting and stuff. This is a great community that comes together when the need is there. This is a perfect example. :usa:  :up:  :wave:

• Like 2

I tend to agree. They're more civilized than humans, most of the time.

My pleasure. See you Thurs.!

- K

Just warms the heart seeing folks go out of their way to help a critter out.... You can see by look in that dogs eyes that she just wants a family to call her own... Good on you and god bless...

• Like 1

That's typical coon hunter mentality to dump their dog out somewhere and shoot it if it comes back. 

Said he was going to tie her up to a tree and shoot her......

WTF?!?!?!??!?!

My kids have been asking, "How could someone do that...?" and I don't have an explanation for them? Some people just don't value life the same as we do, is the best answer I can give them? They're happy to hear she's going to find a good home. Made the night OK on our bedroom floor next to our 3-year old GoldenDoodle. Really likes being outside though (not that you can tell from the pic below)....

- K

CAM00096.jpg

Guy mentioned something about the heart-shaped white mark on her head being un-common? Brother had it too. You can see it good in above pic.

She is a sweety. Loves the chew toys (that my 3-year old couldn't be less interested in!)

We know from the owner she's right around a year old, but the teeth are still small and sharp, very puppy-like teeth. Loves chewing, too, she's not outgrown that yet.

Apparently she's got some hunting instinct in her.. Prev-owner said she ate a cat once. :stunned:

- K

• Like 1

Well, the original owner stopped in this morning to check on her, we had a chance to talk. He's glad we took her in, he said he was awful mad yesterday, and had a buddy who said he'd dig the hole! LOL! She's 14 mos., really smart, and likes kids, playing w/ other dogs. Couldn't care a whit to hunt. He didn't want to give her away to just anyone, said they would just breed her for 2 years, and then kill her, and didn't want that to happen. Wanted to find her a family (or shoot her himself apparently?!) Brother has a black heart-shaped mark on his side, some of the best looking dog's in East Tenn.... Got them from a breeder, said she's full blood.

She 'came in once, will again in the spring'... I think he meant menstruate, kept talking about others wanting to breed her (but he wouldn't take the damned marbles out of his mouth, my yankee ear's only understood every 3rd word, LOL!)

He was happy to see her in a home w/ 3 kids, but I did mention we were talking to a rescue group.

- K

Said he was going to tie her up to a tree and shoot her......

WTF?!?!?!??!?!

My kids have been asking, "How could someone do that...?" and I don't have an explanation for them? Some people just don't value life the same as we do, is the best answer I can give them? They're happy to hear she's going to find a good home. Made the night OK on our bedroom floor next to our 3-year old GoldenDoodle. Really likes being outside though (not that you can tell from the pic below)....

- K

Welcome to the other part of Tennessee, the part that is filled with ugly, disgusting people. 

I second Mrs Monkey a good friend's wife put up some puppies on craigslist and when they were rehomed the guy who got them texted her pictures of them dismembered.

Id take her if you were more west.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I would have a very, very hard time not doing "something" on behalf of the puppies. My father would shoot puppies right after they were born when I was a child. .22's were cheaper than getting the dog fixed so anytime one of our dogs had puppies he thought he could not sell he would dig a hole, drop them in and shoot them. He would tell me, at age 8 or 9, to do shoot them but when I would refuse I would get punished. One of the other ways I would get punished is he would kill, or make disappear, any dog I became attached to. So I have ZERO sympathy for anyone who would hurt any animal for no reason.

People, in general, are sick and it is getting worse every day. My mind cannot comprehend what the average person is capable of any more. Every day I read about infants being abused or killed. Or that someone killed someone else for, literally, nothing. Or the amount of grief people cause to their fellow man just to get a laugh.

My wife rescued a kitten this year out of an engine bay. The owner of the truck said it had been in there for two days screaming but never bothered to even try to save it. My wife saved it in less than a minute and most of that was getting the owner's fat, lazy ass to open the hood. I guess he was waiting for it to become weak enough to fall out and die. And this is the husband of our postmaster who knew about it but also did nothing to rescue the kitten.

Well, the original owner stopped in this morning to check on her, we had a chance to talk. He's glad we took her in, he said he was awful mad yesterday, and had a buddy who said he'd dig the hole! LOL! She's 14 mos., really smart, and likes kids, playing w/ other dogs. Couldn't care a whit to hunt. He didn't want to give her away to just anyone, said they would just breed her for 2 years, and then kill her, and didn't want that to happen. Wanted to find her a family (or shoot her himself apparently?!) Brother has a black heart-shaped mark on his side, some of the best looking dog's in East Tenn.... Got them from a breeder, said she's full blood.

She 'came in once, will again in the spring'... I think he meant menstruate, kept talking about others wanting to breed her (but he wouldn't take the damned marbles out of his mouth, my yankee ear's only understood every 3rd word, LOL!)

He was happy to see her in a home w/ 3 kids, but I did mention we were talking to a rescue group.

- K

I would have a very, very hard time even acknowledging a person like this, well other than calling them a few choice names they had probably heard their entire life.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 3

I hear ya brother.

I know people aren't born that way, so I figure someone made them like that. No sense in me pouring fuel on the fire? I thanked him for changing his mind, told him we'd make sure she had a good home, and wished him well.

I kinda figured by the fact he showed up at our front-door at 8:30 this morning, and was glad she found a place to stay, that he was glad they never went for a walk in the woods. Said he was mostly sore she took off and wouldn't come back. Said he kicked her once when she was a pup and didn't listen, and it's been an uphill battle training her since (go figure!)

To quote Ron White, YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

- K

• Like 4

I hear ya brother.

I know people aren't born that way, so I figure someone made them like that. No sense in me pouring fuel on the fire? I thanked him for changing his mind, told him we'd make sure she had a good home, and wished him well.

I kinda figured by the fact he showed up at our front-door at 8:30 this morning, and was glad she found a place to stay, that he was glad they never went for a walk in the woods. Said he was mostly sore she took off and wouldn't come back. Said he kicked her once when she was a pup and didn't listen, and it's been an uphill battle training her since (go figure!)

To quote Ron White, YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

- K

Yes you can, BFH between the eyes.

• Like 4
So I haven't been as active on here lately because of work and I just got caught up on this thread. MrsMonkey will find this little girl a home in short order but I have to say I am truly sorry for some of you for the horrible things you have seen involving animals. My God I can't even imagine some of those stories. I've had some pretty rough backwoods friends and one of my best friends is from mountain folk but if we ever ran across someone abusing animals of any kind like those stories I'm not sure how bad the beating would be but it would have been pretty bad.

So I haven't been as active on here lately because of work and I just got caught up on this thread. MrsMonkey will find this little girl a home in short order but I have to say I am truly sorry for some of you for the horrible things you have seen involving animals. My God I can't even imagine some of those stories. I've had some pretty rough backwoods friends and one of my best friends is from mountain folk but if we ever ran across someone abusing animals of any kind like those stories I'm not sure how bad the beating would be but it would have been pretty bad.

Yeah, sickening how some people act when the victim can't fight back? Heard similar stories growing up... whole litters put in a sack w/ a brick, tossed over board in Lake Ontario? Like I said, I know God didn't make 'em that way, so no sense in me making it worse, they likely aren't capable of empathizing, and if I dressed them down (or worse!), it would only make problems for me.

It's like when Southern folk smile and tell a Yankee "Bless your heart".. :D  I figured being kind was in everyone's best interest.

- K

I emailed a couple with some land I know about adopting. Last time I talked with them they had a blue tick and a couple other hounds. They've had strong interest in other rescues I've sent their way. They're located outside of Murfreesboro. I'll report back when I hear from them.

Update: I haven't talked with them in a while. Too long apparently. They're selling the farm and moving to Florida! So no new doggies for them. :-( Edited by johnwilliams5721

It's like when Southern folk smile and tell a Yankee "Bless your heart".. :D  I figured being kind was in everyone's best interest.

- K

That is not a compliment here in the south. It is a veiled way of calling someone an idiot. Fortunately most people who are told this ARE to stupid to realize they have just been insulted.

• Like 1
Ok, so this morning I received an email from 2 rescues. AARF is the major one here in Cookeville. They mostly pull from the White County animal shelter. And it is at capacity right now. They'll take her in and vet her, but I'll have to be the foster. Which is fine. We have 2 acres that are fenced for dogs. I've also received an email for the National Black and Tan Coonhound Rescue who said they have a foster home opening up next week. So she'll be with us for a while which is ok, it'll help me get to know her. Also, if we go the AARF route, I would actually get to screen all the applicants for her and pick who gets her!

Thanks Reefer for all the updates this morning and for NOT letting her horrible owner take her back!!
  • Like 1

Back when I spoke up I was just saying if it was not so far my son would take her because he has a soft spot for Blue Ticks but he lives about 100 miles west of me and I am about 200 miles from K Town. I am thrilled that she is going to have a great life soon and Praise to all involved , and three Cheers :cheers:  for both Mrs Monkey and Reefer for taking the steps necessary to make sure she is safe and will have a good future...... :up:

• Like 1