Is reloading not worth it on the common pistol cartridges?

Hi all,

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems as though buying common calibers in bulk is cheaper than even reloading.  To be fair, I only checked .45 and .380 as those are the two I shoot most often, but I wanted to post on here and make sure I'm not missing something.  Is there more to gain by reloading rifle vs pistol, too?  I'm just thinking of getting the most bang for your buck on target rounds, I should probably add.

Am I missing something?  Was looking at getting a Lee Turret press to get started reloading, but it looks like I might be better off buying a case of ammo for .45 and .380, anyway.  :)

Brandon

You can load even 9mm (cheapest of handgun ammo) cheaper than factory, the issue is, how far down the rabbit hole are you willing to go to save a few bucks? To do it requires an investment on the front end, that for many if not most people, are better spent on just buying ammo outright.
A quality mold will set you back a hundred bucks easy. You can do it with a $25 Lee sure, but they suck in the long run as anyone with experience will tell you. A lube sizer will set you back another couple of hundred.
Also, you have to have sources for freebies and everyone doesn't have at luxury. I don't pay for lead because of where I work and I don't pay for 9mm brass most of the time either. I also have a massive amount of free time at work to do much of my casting.

In the end, I can load 9mm for around 60-75 bucks per thousand depending on what I want to produce. It's extremely labor intensive and MOST people have more important things to devote their time to.

So, in the end, you have to evaluate your specific situation and resourcefulness. For MOST people, buying it is the most efficient way. Even if you manage to save a few bucks, is it worth those few bucks to tie up your time in it? If you don't have any family obligations and shoot several thousand rounds a year, then yeah. If you shoot a few boxes a moth at the range, hell no, go buy it and enjoy your free time doing something else.
  • Like 6
Reloading is very expensive to get into, so any savings you see will be down the road. Most people shoot more handgun rounds than rifle (except maybe .22lr or .223/5.56), so reloading handgun cartridges is more likely to save money. Generally people that reload for rifle do so more for quality than cost anyway. What you have to be aware of is that reloading can become a hobby in and of itself. You start out to save money and soon you are buying components in bulk and loading more than you will ever shoot just because you enjoy doing it. When that happens, you can pretty much forget about ever saving money.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Just an example from my experience is that with 45ACP I can load for about 0.19 per round using plated bullets, the best price I can get regularly on quality Brass case ammo is about 0.32 per round. so it is about 1/3 less expensive to reload. Now I already have a progressive set up for 45ACP so I don't have the investment in equipment to consider. I'm careful about buying components on sale, free shipping etc, and I buy in bulk too.

I've been thinking of starting to reload 9mm and the investment makes it harder to justify as my press isn't made any longer and conversion costs would be high. All the 9mm equipment would be costly and 9mm is more easily available at low cost. so in that case I'll probably just buy 9mm in bulk.

The only other advantage to reloading for me is for competitive shooting where it allows you to load to the power factor and accuracy requirements that fit your needs.

Caster is right on the money (pun intended) with his advice. If factory loads meet your needs and you're not a high volume shooter buy in bulk and spend the equipment investment on ammo.

Ditto what's been said, debated about getting into reloading myself (just starting the process).

I try to buy my 9mm rounds when on sale, and in quantity, so typically get it for around 20-22-cents per.

Once I acquire everything needed (yes, that's a $300-$600 proposition for me right now, I realize that could go higher, too), I can reload for about 9-10 cents on practice rounds (FMJ). If I can get free brass, lead, etc., I can lower that number, but simply collecting MY brass and reloading, I'm looking for under-10-cents a pop, or half my current price (ROI aside).

Additionally, I want to try experimenting a little (I'm the type that likes to tinker...), different loads, diff. bullets, etc. ... I'll likely always carry commercial ammunition for self-defense (Gold-dot FBI loads!), but even just for my pistol(s), I believe it will allow me to shoot more cheaply when I go (note I didn't say 'save me money"?)

I'm also interested in long-range rifle shooting, and this is one reason why I'm starting to acquire reloading equipment - I know it will be useful for that end of the hobby as well.

It's not so much a 'save money' proposition, b/c the ROI @ 10-cents a pop is scary. Most people that get into it are the tinkering-type, or are looking for something they can't get commercially (consistency for long-range, etc.) Getting into it to shave $$$ off your ammo bill won't work, you'll have to pay yourself 12-cents an hour to make the money back.

• Like 1

It really boils down to how much you shoot. Occasional shooters won't save much at all and may never recoup the initial investment money required and that's not even counting the time that must be invested in reloading. If you shoot a lot and especially shoot competition, reloading is a must.

Cost of components is one thing.  Time is another.  How much is a couple hours of your time worth to you?  I just started reloading.  I got into it to get the most accuracy and consistency from my rifles.  I have pistols in several cals but right now ammo can be found fairly inexpensive and in bulk.  To me pistols cals are not worth my time.  YMMV

I can pretty much repeat what everyone else has said, but I rarely meet anyone who regrets getting into reloading. I got into it for a hobby and eventually found myself shooting a lot more. The best thing is to find a buddy who also reloads to split bulk purchases and maybe share some equipment. I have a few friends that cast so I get together with them. I occasionally will borrow dies for rounds that I don't shoot enough to justify buying dies like .243 win. I will say that it doesn't take much to cover the cost when loading .380 and even 45acp. I can save at least 50% when reloading .380 acp. That is even buying Berry's Plated Bullets.
  • Like 1
Competitive shooting adds a whole 'nuther set of variables.

The gag-a-maggot cost of a Dillion will wash out eventually with competitive shooting. The major advantage in competitive shooting is consistency. You dial in a load for your pistol and after some extensive testing, your ready to rock. Buying ammo for competitive shooting is barking mad. What happens when the buying panic hits again and you can't get the load that works best for you? I highly doubt many serious competitive shooters buy their ammo. Well, not until you're big enough for a sponsor anyway.
  • Like 3
Patton hits on another interesting aspect. It's a hobby and hobbies need not be cost effective. I reload for everything I shoot and economy has nothing to do with it.
Over the years it's got to the point I enjoy loading as much or more than actually shooting. Therefore, time and effort are never entered into my final cost because I love doing it. Edited by Caster
  • Like 5

Cost of components is one thing.  Time is another.  How much is a couple hours of your time worth to you?

Any time I spend reloading is time I'm not wasting on YouTube, Amazon, or sitting on the couch watching TV. I don't ever ask how much that time is worth to me.

• Like 2

You also have to consider the risk.  If you get a bad factory load and it blows your gun up and hurts you, the ammo manufacturer is liable.  If you screw up a reload and the same happens, it's all on you.  Some reloaders like to tout all the money they save.  Blow up 1 gun and all that savings is gone and then some.   Based on that alone, I see little value in reloading common calibers.  If you're a 1000yd shooter or have a caliber that not commercially available, that's different. 

About $0.16.

Brass was free from range pickups.

That's using 3031, Wolf Primer, and a 55 grain bullet.

Of course there's also the question of whatcha gonna do if they prohibitively tax ammo?

Edited by Raoul

Just out of curiously, for some of you guys that have reloaded a while. What are you loading your .223 for per round?

I handload 5.56/.223 for about $0.20/round. That's using range brass, Tula Small Rifle primers and H-335 powder.

I use 25 grs so that's about 280 rounds per pound of powder.

Brass prepping for rifle takes a lot of the time and energy...but I love handloading so I enjoy the process.

We cast and PC for 9mm and that saves us quite a bit. Of course we therefore shoot a lot more... :pleased:

So, as others have mentioned, it depends...it depends on how much you shoot and how much time and effort you are willing to invest to learn. It's a mixture of Science & Art.

• Like 1

You also have to consider the risk. If you get a bad factory load and it blows your gun up and hurts you, the ammo manufacturer is liable. If you screw up a reload and the same happens, it's all on you. Some reloaders like to tout all the money they save. Blow up 1 gun and all that savings is gone and then some. Based on that alone, I see little value in reloading common calibers. If you're a 1000yd shooter or have a caliber that not commercially available, that's different.

Meh. I've reloaded for about a decade. Had one squib in my first batch, and never again so far. I bought one box of Ultramax 223 from Dick's and detonated my AR. It can happen to anybody.

Unless you just know you're an idiot and gunna do something dumb, I think that's more of an excuse than a reason. And if it's for that reason that one won't reload, may I also suggest leaving dangerous things like driving, etc, to the professionals.

I completely understand folks not wanting to invest the time or money on what might be negligible returns based on what/how much one shoots.

I load on terribly cheap, slow equipment. I love it. Especially when I bust out the 10MM, 357 Mag, and 44 Mag!
  • Like 1

I handload 5.56/.223 for about $0.20/round. That's using range brass, Tula Small Rifle primers and H-335 powder.

I use 25 grs so that's about 280 rounds per pound of powder.

Brass prepping for rifle takes a lot of the time and energy...but I love handloading so I enjoy the process.

We cast and PC for 9mm and that saves us quite a bit. Of course we therefore shoot a lot more... :pleased:

So, as others have mentioned, it depends...it depends on how much you shoot and how much time and effort you are willing to invest to learn. It's a mixture of Science & Art.

Thanks for that info. I actually shoot around 3,000 rounds a year on the high end so it's a serious consideration for this year.
  • Like 1

I got into reloading for the cost savings on 9mm, .45, .308 and .357, I treated it as a hobby and acquired the pieces slowly and within a monthly budget....took about 6 months to get what I needed/wanted but now I reload for the relaxation of it. I have my habits and routines that keep me focused into what I'm doing but it really is relaxing......sorting brass, trimming cases, loading primers and pulling the handle to watch to turret go round and round....then out pops a shiny new baby waiting to be launched.....yup I'm weird... :pleased: 

• Like 3