Knowledge me up: .308 semi auto

Pete123

I'm starting to think about a .308 semi auto and would like get input on what kind of money it takes to build or buy a good quality one.  Can it be done for under $1000?  I would rather not get one that get something I won't be happy with.  At the same time I can't afford $2000 plus.  I want something that will accept magazines, not like the Browning that holds 3 or 4 rounds.

Input will be appreciated.

FN FAL....20 round mags are standard but 30s are available. Rugged, dependable and spare parts are plentiful. Most can be had between $1000 and $1400. There are others like the AR10 (and its derivatives), Vepir and Saiga....if you prefer an AK style.

Edited by ArmyBrat61
  • Like 2

No, I don’t think you can build a .308 for what you can buy a complete rifle. There is no Mil Spec for a .308 so parts are limited because you have to pick what you will use and stay with it.

You can get a DPMS for under $1500 delivered if you can find them in stock. I would suggest you get what you want on the rifle from the manufacturer. I have a DPMS 308 Panther that I want quad rails for, but I can sell the gun used and buy new with the rails I want for less than I can buy the rails and put them on. I just haven’t got around to it yet.

At one time Wal-Mart was selling the cheap DPMS for around $900; I don’t know if they still are.

308 AR’s are fun at the range.

But they eat a lot and are expensive to feed.

• Like 1

I had a first gen SR25 years ago and it shot wonderfully. I would also consider an FAL & M1A, but they are harder to get to shoot well. An AR10 platform will always be easier to get to shoot.

DaveTN's points above about building vs buying complete a very valid. Build one if you want but you won't likely save much. You will get the pleasure of building it though!

• Like 1

I have a M&P10 that I purchased a while back.  If I recall correctly, the price was about $1300.  I didn't need it, and I haven't shot it.  I only purchased the rifle because I started to feel antsy about the future availability of the platform.

Like another member said, I plan to eventually put a rail and glass on it, but I've just been purchasing ammo, because I won't be participating in the overpriced ammo lottery in a few months.

Good luck in your search. 

• Like 1

Great input.  What about the PTR 91 or CETME mentioned by gotthegoods.

I seem to remember a negative review on a PTR on this forum.  The Century Arms retails for $700.  Any input on those?

Here is how I would define quality for me.  Many people use Taurus semi auto pistols and love them.  I would rather save money and pay more to get a S&W M&P.  

Many folks makes less expensive 1911 Govt models.  I would rather save and get a Springfield.  I guess I'm saying, not high end and not introductory level, but in the middle.

Either get some form of AR platform or go with either a H&K or FN design.  I know the flaming is about to begin but M1A's are picky as hell and despite what so many claim about reliability, not all are.  You must spend money and/or time to dial them in.  Sometimes you get lucky but even still, they are similar to a Garand with that Op rod.  They do not like just any and all loads you decide to feed them.  There are diehards who will fist fight over it, but there are cheaper and better options than the M14/M1A design.

A roller locker like the CETME or HK91 will eat just about anything but they are hard on brass.

An FAL will eat just about anything.

My personal suggestion is, Get yourself behind an FN FAR.  They are not cheap and magazines will bankrupt you at almost $50 each BUT, it is based on the Browning BAR [commercial, NOT military] with some added strength where it was needed.  

If you ever want shoot at Haffners on a Sunday morning, I will put you behind it and let you have at it.  

That's my 2 cents.  At current inflation it's worth....less.  

Edited by Caster
  • Like 2

I have a nice daddy M1 Garand from the 50s or 60s.  It is a 30-06.  It uses the Garand clips, but has a metal plate where the magazine would go.

Is it reasonably easy to set it up to use magazines? 

Would it be sacrilege to migrate it to a .308?  Roughly, what would that cost?  I wouldn't it change the barrel myself and would pay a good gunsmith to do it.   

I decided this week to go ahead and build my AR10 before things get out of hand.  I started with a CMT Billet Receiver set as a base.  Wasn't sure what I was going to do from there, but as I have had a full JP Rifle in the past and liked it a lot (and of course sold it like a dummy), I decided since I was only going to have one AR10 I would do it the way I wanted which is similar to their LRP07.

I went with a 20" JP Barrel, JP handgaurd, and basically all JP internals and silent buffer, Geissele NMHS trigger, and Magpul PRS stock.   This was all obviously quite a bit more than you want to spend, but I think you can certainly build a very nice, quality AR10 for $1400.  That doesn't include optics though.  

I have always been happy with CMT billet receivers so for me they are a great starting point.  It run me $500 for the set after transfer so you can look from there and figure out if you could do something within a cost you like.  I believe an Aero set I bought a couple of years ago was $350 or so.  I sold it to someone on here as at the time I wasn't sure I was going to end up building it.

Going with simpler buttstocks and trigger can save you a lot if you are ok with that.  You can always add later.  I bought 2-10 rounds PMAGs and 2-20 round PMAGs and don't see needing more for it.   I have plenty of other AR's for self defense .  This is more for target shooting.

The funny part of all of this is I am really not an AR guy, but somehow I now have 6 of them and two spare AR15 receiver sets just in case.  

The CMT AR10 Receiver sets are a bit hard to find, but this is where I got mine.  Shows they still have a few in stock.  They were very quick to ship.  http://www.tacticoolfirearms.com/products/308-cmt-billet-upper-lower-combo-set

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Pete123 said:

I have a nice daddy M1 Garand from the 50s or 60s.  It is a 30-06.  It uses the Garand clips, but has a metal plate where the magazine would go.

Would it be sacrilege to migrate it to a .308?  Roughly, what would that cost?  I wouldn't it change the barrel myself and would pay a good gunsmith to do it.   

Yes, it would be sacrilege. It wouldn’t save you any money; and you would have to like it because you could never sell it for what you would have in it. There are real M1 Garands that are .308, but they were made for the Navy and are hard to find and expensive when you do find them. You can't convert to magazines, why would you want to convert a 30-06 to .308?

The Two weapons that meet your requirements (not expensive top of the line, but not stamped out bottom feeders, 308 caliber and removable magazines) would be the Springfield M1A and the AR10.  

I would look at these:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/27445/Springfield+MA9102+M1A+STD+308+WAL+BL

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/90757/DPMS+RFLR-G2AP4+GII+AP4+20+1+308WIN7.62NATO+16"

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/90756/S&W+M&P10+Mid-Length+20+1+308WIN7.62NATO+18"

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Pete123 said:

Doable?  Yes.  Reasonable? No.

I have seen one at Knob Creek that used BAR magazines.  It was a LOT of machining.  

The .308 Garand with detachable magazines was done by Beretta,  Google BM-59.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pete123 said:

Thanks Greg, I want something that takes a magazine.

I've had em both.....both came with magazines.

I'm not sure about the 100 Winchester, but I remember 20 round extended magazines for the Remingtons.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2