Alright, Which One of You Was in the Co-op Today?

gjohnsoniv

It's an opinion for sure (point the guy was trying to make).  

My Opinion is it's a DANG GOOD OPINION that you gonna be the first one an armed criminal in a criminal act will shoot if he sees you with a gun available to you.

Couple other opinions:

Most carriers (concealed or open) do not have the training to react to MOST situation and likely get killed or cause others to get killed. .

Most open carry folks are thinking - I'm a big deal with a gun. :-( 

Those are all OPINIONS. :-)  

• Like 1

Can you at least admit that if a guy was robbing a convenience store and notice that you were open carrying, you might stand a better chance of getting shot vs if you were concealing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure.
I don't even open carry, I just get tired of the moaning and gnashing of teeth over someone open carrying a firearm as if it automatically marks them for death.
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Sure.
I don't even open carry, I just get tired of the moaning and gnashing of teeth over someone open carrying a firearm as if it automatically marks them for death.

I'm not against open carry. I think it is an individuals right. I just think it opens one up to different risks. Getting shot in a robbery or having someone try to steal your gun are two of those risks.

Open carry should be done responsibly. Secure, preferably level 3 holster with increased sense of surroundings are two things that will help.

In most cases, with today's concealed carry offerings, I just think concealed is the better choice most of the time vs open.

21 hours ago, gjohnsoniv said:

As seen in Tractor Supply

IMG_20160820_183825_zpsfxlt3zbm.jpg

-Compact Glock
-30 round magazine
-15 round magazine in the front pouch
-Uncle Mike's holster

Please tell me this was Maynardville HWY and not Oak Ridge.

3 hours ago, chances R said:

Everyone knows that a robbery will not happen because OC prevents crime, and especially does so when your weapon has a Hi-cap magazine sticking out of it.  :wall:

I think it's valid to wonder if a criminal sees someone OC'ing (good OC, not this idiot) would they pass up the planned robbery and/or move on to another one to avoid a scene.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
I think it's valid to wonder if a criminal sees someone OC'ing (good OC, not this idiot) would they pass up the planned robbery and/or move on to another one to avoid a scene.

I imagine statistically that some would. Statistically someone would also choose to try and steal the OC"ers gun as well as statistically some would go ahead and shoot the OC'er as previously discussed.

1 minute ago, CZ9MM said:

I imagine statistically that some would. Statistically someone would also choose to try and steal the OC"ers gun as well as statistically some would go ahead and shoot the OC'er as previously discussed.

Yet we tend to only focus on the other outcomes that can be counted because they represent actual events. 

I think the percentage of robberies canceled as opposed to attempted in the event of seeing someone OC'ing would be higher that we might believe, if for no other reasons than criminals tend to want soft targets and pass up once that might have a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Yet we tend to only focus on the other outcomes that can be counted because they represent actual events. 

I think the percentage of robberies canceled as opposed to attempted in the event of seeing someone OC'ing would be higher that we might believe, if for no other reasons than criminals tend to want soft targets and pass up once that might have a problem. 

Like I said, I'm not against open carrying, I just choose not to. To me, the benefits and ease of concealing outweigh the potential issues with open carrying.

I would say that you are probably right; Many criminals do seek out soft targets. That being said, hard criminals do not care. For examples of this take a look at the recent "assassinations" of officers. I know I want the upper hand if an active shooter or hardened criminal decides to start shooting. For me, that upper hand is the element of surprise.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, suspiciousmind said:

Found this gem earlier... "People of Wal Mart."

image.jpeg

Well , I was going to say that she could be legit being that she may be an officer and just got back from in-service training or something  but then I just noticed the house-shoes or slippers . Good lord .

10 hours ago, btq96r said:

I think you overestimate the thinking capacity of most criminals.  If it is a criminal or crew with a well thought out plan they may avoid the well guarded target vs the one that presents a soft target.  But most criminals knocking over a mom and pop shop or gas station I bet would care less, they are already there and will react one way or the other when presented with a threat to the successful commission of the robbery.  If its one that will shoot no matter what, then it will make no difference probably, but if its one that only wants the money then the presence of an OCed weapon may push him to shoot.  Me, I have always concealed carried and have only open carried a handful of times, and that has been because I was either on duty (military) or because I was out hunting or something.  I don't base my decision so much on statistics or anything, it's just that I don't want any extra attention when I am out and about, positive or negative.

Just a few minutes ago I posted something in a thread about dry firing and listed a few of the debates that will never end, such as Red vs. White (wine), Dark vs. Milk, Ginger vs. Mary Ann...   and I completely forgot about Open vs. Concealed..  Honestly I am shocked this one even goes on... 

I am all for open carry... I'll be the one concealed... so when you are OC and are shot first, I will have time to draw my firearm... 

A few have mentioned that we're giving too much credit to the Bad Guys to see the open carry... Really?  It's human instinct to take out the threat..  If ever in a bar fight, you don't worry about the 98lb weakling playing Pokemon Go, you worry about the 225lb monster who pisses fire...  Open Carry makes you a threat to a BG and thus would be eliminated... It's like the people who brag about their concealed carry... Really?  

Although I'm pretty new around here I've met a few of you and I think they'd agree I am a pretty social guy.. I'll talk to anyone... and I've talked to a few folks who OC (usually because I was interested in what they were carrying)... and the VAST majority of them were OC because they had the right to do so.. not because they felt they were at a tactical advantage.. Now this was primarily in Virginia, and of course I wouldn't say the same thing about my fellow Vols... but for the most part the OC folks were untrained mall ninjas... 

Yes, you can draw and be on target about 2 seconds faster than I can... got it.. and I will take that 2 second sacrifice in order to not be the first perceived threat in a bad situation. If your OC makes you a deterrent for the BG.. awesome... and I am sure that happens more than we may be aware of...   if your OC makes you the first perceived threat and thus a target when the SHTF, thank you for allowing me the precious few seconds to draw my firearm because my firearm is going stay concealed if a weapon is pointed at me... but when it's pointed at you?.... 

Again, I respect your right to OC.. I think you're wrong.. but that's OK because you think I am wrong... we can still have a beer together...

OK, my thread hijack is over and I'll step off the soap box... So no, that wasn't me in the Co-Op or Tractor Supply or HelMart... but that lady's slippers were pretty sexy!

4 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Well , I was going to say that she could be legit being that she may be an officer and just got back from in-service training or something  but then I just noticed the house-shoes or slippers . Good lord .

Most likely she's exactly what you thought an off duty officer on the way home from firearms training. As for the house shoes she probably put those on as soon as she got into her vehicle to go home. Tactical mindset? Nope. Human being not thinking about anything more then grabbing some stuff and going home? Yep

• Like 1