Jack Reacher

We will go next weekend. We really liked the first one. My father in law said he didn't like Cruise as the lead since Reacher in supposed to be big and tall in the books. I think Cruise is a nut but he did a good job in the role last time.

Cruise is a known anti. I will not add to his bank account either.

Yep he is anti gun to the public when asked but you can bet he owns more than a few guns I would guess. Also he is a person that uses something he is suppose to be against which is guns to make millions off in his movies.  I won't be contributing a dime to his pocket................jmho

16 minutes ago, Garufa said:

The only actors that aren't "anti" can barely find work.  Y'all just might as well say you're never going to watch another new movie or tv show.

I always chip in to suggest that you need to separate the art from the artist, or you'll miss a lot of enjoyable stuff in life.

And yes, that includes Jane Fonda. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 4
17 minutes ago, Garufa said:

The only actors that aren't "anti" can barely find work.  Y'all just might as well say you're never going to watch another new movie or tv show.

Not necessarily true. 

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2016/06/18/x-celebrities-love-guns/

Add to this list Clint Eastwood who while isn't acting much these days, has become one of the most respected directors in Hollywood by artists, critics, and fans alike. 

8 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Not necessarily true. 

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2016/06/18/x-celebrities-love-guns/

Add to this list Clint Eastwood who while isn't acting much these days, has become one of the most respected directors in Hollywood by artists, critics, and fans alike. 

There are always exceptions.  Did you notice the age of most people on that list?   And where they are in their carerers?  I know there are some pro-gun, or rather anti-control people in Hollywod.  Fact of the matter is their numbers are few.

Clint can do whatever he wants, he doesn't have to answer to anyone.  He would whoop Chuck Norris without even blinking an eye.

32 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

I always chip in to suggest that you need to separate the art from the artist, or you'll miss a lot of enjoyable stuff in life.

And yes, that includes Jane Fonda. :)

- OS

You've still got a thing for Barbarella don't you?  :lol:

11 hours ago, tacops said:

Jane who?!

Haha! I mentioned Jane Fonda to a very intelligent but uppish neighbor who can't be over 25 years old, and he swore up and down he had never heard of her. Talk about someone, Fonda, who has dropped of the face of the earth. 

• Like 1

Just saw it. It started like the book but compressed the timeline and locations Then it went away from the book some (bad guys in New Orleans instead of LA so they could). It held closer to the book than I was expecting, but it is still a movie so they can only be so accurate to a 500 page book (unless you want a 6 hour movie.) Overall as a movie just by itself, I think it's pretty good. Good plot, acting, and action scenes. Few little bits were a little on the nose when you compare it to Child's writing, but most Americans would probably need it to understand what's happening.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, macville said:

Just saw it. It started like the book but compressed the timeline and locations Then it went away from the book some (bad guys in New Orleans instead of LA so they could). It held closer to the book than I was expecting, but it is still a movie so they can only be so accurate to a 500 page book (unless you want a 6 hour movie.) Overall as a movie just by itself, I think it's pretty good. Good plot, acting, and action scenes. Few little bits were a little on the nose when you compare it to Child's writing, but most Americans would probably need it to understand what's happening.

Yes, the story compression necessary to fit most books into a 2hour or less movie is sometimes bad for the movie. But so far, I can't get too upset with Cruise's portrayal of Jack Reacher. My only problem is that having read all the books, I still think Tom is a midget version of Jack. lol

• Like 1
12 hours ago, hipower said:

Yes, the story compression necessary to fit most books into a 2hour or less movie is sometimes bad for the movie. But so far, I can't get too upset with Cruise's portrayal of Jack Reacher. My only problem is that having read all the books, I still think Tom is a midget version of Jack. lol

Agreed. Jack reacher is 6'3 and 250 lbs. Cruse has most of the emotion (or lack thereof) down, but there were moments that felt wrong to me (the ending felt too happy, but it was a nice "movie" ending.) I am wondering if they continue to make them if he'll step out of the role and let someone else closer to the size of the character play it? But I am glad they are making the movies since I do love them. I wish they would make Nothing to Lose as that was one of the books that's really stuck in my mind.

2 hours ago, macville said:

Agreed. Jack reacher is 6'3 and 250 lbs. Cruse has most of the emotion (or lack thereof) down, but there were moments that felt wrong to me (the ending felt too happy, but it was a nice "movie" ending.) I am wondering if they continue to make them if he'll step out of the role and let someone else closer to the size of the character play it? But I am glad they are making the movies since I do love them. I wish they would make Nothing to Lose as that was one of the books that's really stuck in my mind.

I read so much, and so many different genre that I can't remember the plot to Nothing to Lose, but I've enjoyed all the Reacher books. I saw something on one of the entertainment news shows alluding to Cruse doing at least one more; that he liked these more than the Mission Impossible movies. True or not, who knows? These shows throw out all kinds of things just to reel us in.

On 10/21/2016 at 6:53 PM, ken56 said:

Cruise is a known anti. I will not add to his bank account either.

The studio already paid him, whether you see it or not.  But the theater, the people that work at the theater, the distributors for films, all of those people haven't been paid yet.  So maybe you could throw them a bone.  

33 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

The studio already paid him, whether you see it or not.  But the theater, the people that work at the theater, the distributors for films, all of those people haven't been paid yet.  So maybe you could throw them a bone.  

That is a thought, but we still are supporting, if indirectly, the system that is pushing against us. Hollywood is such a liberally controlled entity that sometimes the only way to fight back is thru public opinion and commentary. jmo