An interesting night we had last night

So my wife and I were lying in bed watching television before dozing off. Then at 11:40 there came a knock at the door. Knowing no one should be knocking on our door at this time I grabbed a flashlight, my 1911 and went to see who it was. My gut feeling was that it was either my meth head brother or one of my parents seeking refuge from my brother. I made sure to leave the interior of the house completely dark while I made my way to the front door. I stood to the side of the door holding the gun behind my leg, out of view, then flipped the light on to our porch. There stood a man who was soaking wet and seemed a bit off. I didn’t open the door and spoke to him through the door. Not sure if he could see where I was or not because it was dark inside and bright outside.

He said he wanted to come in and I asked why. He said he was a Medal of Honor recipient and he needed in. My wife told him to get off the porch and that she was going to call the cops if he didn’t get off the porch. He didn’t leave and kept saying he needed to come in because he was a Medal of Honor recipient. I told him no and that he needed to leave. He refused and at that point told my wife to call 911. As my wife called 911 she made sure to stay out of sight of the guy but within ear shot of me. I asked the guy if he was OK and he said he needed in our house.

He seemed a bit more agitated and began to put his hands on the door as if he was going to try to get in. When he did that I got louder and more demanding with him telling him to leave now. The dogs were going crazy the entire time until the second my voice changed at which time our dogs quit barking because they knew things were serious. He continued to argue about coming in as well as continuing to act like he was going to try to try to get in. That is when I moved my 1911 from behind my leg to the front of my body in plain view. I didn’t point it at him but made it painfully obvious I had a gun. At which point he seemed to change his demeanor and raised his hands up instantaneously. After the fact my wife thought it was comical how quickly his hands went up. But even with the change of demeanor he said several more times that he was a Medal of Honor recipient and needed in but after a few moments he said he was leaving.

I watched him walk down my driveway, get into a vehicle and drive off heading up our dead end road. At this point my wife handed me the phone and I gave 911 a description as well as tell them he entered a vehicle and which way he was heading.

I waited about 5 minutes then stepped outside with a flashlight and 1911 to start clearing the outside of our home as my wife waited inside with her pistol and her phone.

About 2 minutes after I started clearing the outside of the home LE showed up and stopped at the end of our drive. I went out to meet him and that is when I realized the guy drove 25 feet before he went off the road. The officer made contact with the guy and got his ID. It was at that point it was obvious the guy was drunk or high or both. The guy tossed his keys when the officer wasn’t watching but I told the officer he dropped something and he found the keys. That is a trick those who have had multiple DUI’s seem to use.

As the officer was running the guy I asked him if he was Medal of Honor and he said yes. I asked his name and he told me. I looked it up on my phone and realized it was BS. I asked what he was, Army, Marines or what. His response was that he was Army. I asked his MOS (which is normally alphanumeric) and his response, and I quote, was “Army, Ranger, Air Force One, 3724” At that point I told him he was full of crap. Then he demanded I look it up again.

Well after another officer showed up they gave him a field sobriety test which the guy failed miserably. The guy did say he wanted to join the Army to win the Medal of Honor and that is why he said what he did. He had no license because it had been revoked for previous DUI’s. The officers also said they were seizing his vehicle.

I will say that I felt very concerned because the officers had no officer safety. The officers allowed him to reach in his pockets several times. He had a knife on him but didn’t admit it until the officers began a very poor pat down. They allowed the guy to go back to sit and rummage through his vehicle several times. And at one point they had their back turned to the guy. I even had an “OH crap” moment when the guy opened the door on his vehicle and a tree branch between him and I looked exactly like the guy was pointing a rifle at the officers. I got small and got ready then realized it was a branch. My wife and I stood in amazement at how lax the officers were around this guy. They didn’t even search him before placing him in handcuffs or in the car, only checking his pockets.

We treat anyone who comes unannounced the same way. We have had instances in the past where people have used various excuses to try to gain access. We always great them in a stern manner then ask them to leave if they have no reason to be there. If they continue to argue or demand access we let them know we are calling 911, letting the dogs out or we present a firearm. Then we call LE with a description.

I was an interesting night to say the least. The only thing I would have done differently was having my 1911 closer. I normally have it right next to me but I had been cleaning them so they were on a table between me and the door. I picked it up along the way but had the guy gained access immediately I would have had to go straight to a shotgun which is always by my side.

And the other thing my wife and I talked about afterwards was letting the dogs out a side door when the guy refused to leave and tried to enter.

And even more strange my wife had complained about feeling worried about something all day.

Dolomite

• Like 2
Quite a story! Once again, it tells all of us to trust your first gut instinct. It's also a shame you have to assume that anyone that turns up at your door is trouble, but as uncle Walter used to say: "that's the way it is".

Sounds like quite an exciting night.  Glad you were on top of your game and everything came out good for you.  There is no telling what this guys intent could have been.  I'm surprised at the lack of caution on the officers, that could have gotten ugly really quick.

Crazy story Gordon,  I am glad it all ended safely for you and Petra.

I cannot imagine walking back to your house unexpectedly.  I wonder if he tried the house across the road first. 

And the final deal breaker for me would be the dogs going crazy.  They can be scary even when they are not agitated.

So.................how long did it take you to fall asleep after that?

Adrenaline dumps put me right to sleep after I come back down. I was asleep within an hour. I have been through enough adrenaline dumps to know it puts me to sleep afterwards. Afterwards it always feels like I have been up for a day straight.

Dolomite

Similar thing happened when I was growing up.... we lived in the country off a county road and a drunk guy decided to flip his car a few times into one of our trees at 2 am. Our house is far enough from the road that it didn't wake anyone up, but the sound of him outside our house screaming for help did. Dad goes out with a shotgun to to greet this guy who is covered in his own blood and rambling drunk. Dad is a State Trooper.... the man's luck did not improve from there.