Mom wants to limit firearm discharges in Knox Co.

The way I understand it, you can target shoot on your own property as long as you are not in the city limits and it is safe to do so. 

You can even hunt within the city limits as long as it is safe to do so, even if there is a municipal ordinance against shooting in town.  State hunting laws pre empt city ordinances against shooting while hunting within city limits.  You better have a good bit of room if you are gun hunting within city limits.  Of course some places are incorporated that really do not have any sort of development so it would be safe to gun hunt.

It seems like this concerned mother should not have bought a house in the country and needs to move in town.

Edited by 300winmag

Call it a "private" sport shooting range.

http://harrislawoffice.com/content/areas_of_practice/tennessee_firearms/Range%20Protection.htm

Tennessee Code Annotated § 39-17-316

(3) A person who subsequently acquires title to or who owns real property adversely affected by the use of property with a sport shooting range shall not maintain any action against the owner of the range to restrain, enjoin, or impede the use of the range except to the extent allowed by this section.
Edited by K191145

With liberals it's always about "feelings". Logic, Law, precedence, and common sense doesn't enter into their thought processes and they always want "Daddy Government" to change your behavior.

That said, it's all the more reason to have silencers/suppressors removed from the NFA. A suppressor and a privacy fence should make for good neighbors... :2cents:

• Like 2

I will be the bad guy here.  I can see her point.    

While I have woods and a decent backstop to shoot at housing is encroaching on me.  I don't shoot near as much here as I used to.  ( I have spoken to my nearest neighbors about it and they are both alright with me shooting a bit out in the woods ) I never shoot at night, only during hours of the day where noise should not be an issue. But within a couple of hundred yards there are houses that are on 1/8 acre lots and some of them people shoot in their yards. If I was one of their neighbors I'd be nervous about it.  Of course I'd go talk to them, not go to the county commission and complain.  I am willing to bet she has not talked to her neighbors other then yelling at them from her backyard while they are shooting. Maybe I am wrong.

And I am not sure why but her hyphenated name gives her less credibility in my mind.  LOL.  

I hear and see people shooting all the time. Gunfire is pretty regular here,  I live north of Fountain City too.  Heck she might live in the area I referenced.

Edited to add, the people I have seen shooting in their yards are shooting in a safe direction, there are no buildings behind them and no people out there.

Edited by Mike.357

I'm sure this has come up in other counties. Mom says neighbor shooting gun close to her home. Any restrictions?

http://www.wbir.com/news/woman-asks-county-to-limit-firearm-discharges/7382445

When we moved to this house and I decided I wanted to have a little range out in the woods I called the Sheriff's office. I asked about it. I was told the restrictions were to not shoot in the direction of dwellings or other buildings where people may be at.  My dirt backstop sits at the bottom of a hill, so bullets are extremely unlikely to go anywhere they shouldn't.

My neighbors often show up and shoot with me. Good neighbors are worth their weight in gold.

To see my neighbors practicing safely with their firearms regularly makes me feel more safe; not less safe.

To each his own I guess.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

When we moved to this house and I decided I wanted to have a little range out in the woods I called the Sheriff's office. I asked about it. I was told the restrictions were to not shoot in the direction of dwellings or other buildings where people may be at.  My dirt backstop sits at the bottom of a hill, so bullets are extremely unlikely to go anywhere they shouldn't.

I hear shooting around me all the time. I plan on building a back stop on my property, and until I do so I will not shoot. 

It would be interesting to hear her neighbor's side of the story.

I'll admit to having called the police to investigate some folks shooting near me a few years ago. But that was only after bullets hit my house and my neighbor found bullets in his driveway. According to the cop, the folks shooting thought a big pile of trees and brush was an acceptable backstop. He educated them and while they continue to shoot, it's never happened again.

That said, if this lady doesn't like the rules in the county, she should move into the city.

I have a range in the back yard, well constructed, (it helps to head up a construction co. get the use of free equipment, and spoil haul off from local jobs makes the berm bigger at no cost...it sits in the bottom of a deep ravine that is over 30' in depth and points away from any of my neighbors, and is at least 200 yards from the nearest property , much less house)

My used to be neighbors (hubby worked for the State as some type of accountant at DOT) called in on me shooting one Saturday. The Deputy was very professional, looked over the safety aspect, commented on how nice my range was, and upon finding there was no reckless endangerment, asked if he could burn a few rounds with his new weapon.  I happily acquiesced to his request and we fired over 100 rounds over the next little bit, his car sitting far enough down my driveway that they could see it from their front door.

Fire forming some of my wildcat rounds seems to aggravate them, and unloading the smoke pole at the end of season is particularly satisfying on  my part.  The JPD Officer from across the road uses it as much or more than I do.  I never shoot on Sunday, nor late afternoons or early morning, it is a 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM endeavor.  I bought the acreage for its ability to allow such activities. 

They moved a few years ago, and their son who lives there now has never said anything about it, and I don't call in on him and his friends for their bar-b-ques that get a little loud, he at least picks up the beer cans from the road...

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 1