school shooting in Nashville at the Covenant School

FUJIMO

8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I do. I suppose my support of the second amendment is stronger than yours. On this, I hope we can simply agree to disagree.

The litmus test of absolute 2A support is leading to all kinds of rather unacceptable, for lack of a better term, policies on other matters.  

The country needs and the people want moderation, not extremism. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
36 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I do. I suppose my support of the second amendment is stronger than yours. On this, I hope we can simply agree to disagree.

Lol! I’ve never considered my support of the second amendment a competition. You may be correct, your support may be stronger than mine.  Thanks for picking up the slack. 
We agree!  MUCHISIMAS GRACIAS!

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 1

Would the FBI consider the alleged report of Sexton, while tying the request to funding for upgrades to FedEx Forum, and requesting the Memphis mayor not restore Pearson to his former house position be considered extortion?  Asking for a snitch, umm friend.  🤔 

Dear folks...

RE: Discussions on the " right way " to handle the " Tennessee Three "

If ya zoom out a bit, here's what I see as to this forum discussion and the reality of the political situation.

As to the forum:

There is one commonality.  " What is the appropriate response to the " Tennessee Three " incident..?

Some say ignore the hustle n bustle in the state House chamber n simply censure the offenders n remove them from committees.

Others say ( like me ), lets treat em as badly as possible under the rules... Make an example. If you will.

Notice the responses, they are both for punishment; the discussion is how much is appropriate.

As to the political reality here in TN:

I believe in my heart of hearts that it is impossible to please or placate those in the news media, those in Tennessee who stir these issues up, those inside and outside TN that oppose the state law that was passed, those in control in the executive branch of the the federal gubt, and others as to anything state gubmts do regarding hardening of schools and expanding gun rights.  They are simply against such matters, and their opposition is hardened to the point of no discussion.

It is a given that those who oppose legislation inside n outside of the state will howl n make the most political hay they can from the incident in question, but it doesn't last. 

The important thing, as I see it, is; what do the citizens of TN think..?  There are 96 counties in Tennessee and 99 house districts.  You have three in ninety nine that rolled the dice n pulled this stunt the other day. 

At the end of the day, 65 district reps voted to expell these provocateurs. The " Three " voted against the legislation, but it passed anyway.  That's how things work in the state house. 

The subsequent howling by the usual suspects about the alleged shameful treatment of the  " Three "  had far more to do with the expanding of protections in school than it did about mistreatment of the individuals.

I think this is a thunderstorm that will blow over in the next news cycle or two.  It simply doesn't matter what those outside TN think about this.  They are not voting on this individual state issue.

In summary, I think we are dawning on a new political landscape.  A landscape of extreme differences.  That is what the " Tennessee Three " ushered into the state house the other day. 

Be ready for the fight and reconcile yourself to the fact that your political foes ain't gonna like you in spite of political differences.  You simply will not be able to find common ground on anything on which you disagree. There will be no " agree to disagree " like there is here.  It's " Scorched Earth " and " Winner take all "...  I wish it wasn't so, but it's my belief that it's here.

leroy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Would the FBI consider the alleged report of Sexton, while tying the request to funding for upgrades to FedEx Forum, and requesting the Memphis mayor not restore Pearson to his former house position be considered extortion?  Asking for a snitch, umm friend.  🤔 

My understanding is that the county commission has the power to restore him, not the city mayor.  If that is the case, I expect he will be back next week.  

56 minutes ago, Links2k said:

27 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

My understanding is that the county commission has the power to restore him, not the city mayor.  If that is the case, I expect he will be back next week.  

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/memphis-could-lose-funding-for-major-projects-if-pearson-appointed-back-to-seat-commissioner-says/article_a314c216-d582-11ed-9766-8f4212e502ec.html 

Nashville is always trying to find a way to screw Memphis.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

When I first saw this I thought, “well… they’re trying to take an unforced error and turn it into a rout that may land the current speaker in prison - maybe even before of the speaker that he replaced makes it to trial.”

One of two things is true - and they’re both worth considering regardless of where you sit on the political spectrum. Either they truly think that the rules don’t apply to them and they can do whatever they want. Or they see the proverbial writing on the wall and are willing to burn everything down on the way out.

Both are problematic.

• Like 1

Active shooter at the University of Oklahoma 

Starting to look like a shots fired call or a prank. No injuries reported.  Serious response.  Tennessee has set the standard for active shooter response.

Edited by Links2k

Everything I'm seeing in the news is making this about gun control and how the "3" are being punished for supporting it. 

Not one mention of disrupting, disrespecting or disregarding the House Chamber rules or proper procedures.  MSM is making these idiots out to be the heroes. 🤬

[edit] I live in Shelby County. I just sent my County Commissioner an e-mail saying straight up to NOT even consider putting Pearson back in the Legislature. We don't need idiots like that in our government. 

Speak up folks! Tell your legislators how you feel. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 4
10 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Everything I'm seeing in the news is making this about gun control and how the "3" are being punished for supporting it. 

Not one mention of disrupting, disrespecting or disregarding the House Chamber rules or proper procedures.  MSM is making these idiots out to be the heroes. 🤬

Their initial behavior was about gun control.  The lack of impulse control and mob mentality got the better of the house. 

10 minutes ago, Links2k said:

The lack of impulse control and mob mentality got the better of them.  

Fixed it for you. Add in a total disregard for rules and an inflated sense of self importance.  

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Fixed it for you. Add in a total disregard for rules and an inflated sense of self importance.  

Touché, yet the three are not the ones who came off as butt holes. Imagine that.  

Goodnight brother!

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Regardless of whatever the reason really is, it appears it can be only a single reason. One the female rep herself made the suggestion it could be. As to any argument it’s anything else, we had a saying when I was in the Air Force. 

“The appearance of impropriety is impropriety itself.”

It doesn’t matter what it is, it’s only what it looks like. To me and pretty much the rest of the country it looks like pure old school racism. Whomever the rep that voted differently for her is has got some serious ‘splainin to do. 

Why does it look any more like racism than sexism? Is skin color all anyone sees?

8 hours ago, Garufa said:

TN just created two rising stars that will probably end up in Washington….for years.  All out of pettiness and ignorance. 

Who's going to elect them? They certainly won't take any red seats. If they unseat a different leftist dem and take that seat, no loss.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, leroy said:

Others say ( like me ), lets treat em as badly as possible under the rules... Make an example. If you will.

Notice the responses, they are both for punishment; the discussion is how much is appropriate.

Sounds much tamer than all-out assault the other side is waging at the federal level doesn't it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

When I first saw this I thought, “well… they’re trying to take an unforced error and turn it into a rout that may land the current speaker in prison - maybe even before of the speaker that he replaced makes it to trial.”

One of two things is true - and they’re both worth considering regardless of where you sit on the political spectrum. Either they truly think that the rules don’t apply to them and they can do whatever they want. Or they see the proverbial writing on the wall and are willing to burn everything down on the way out.

Both are problematic.

Given how they handle pretty much everything else as a legislature...I'm thinking option 1, the rules not applying to them, is their motivation.  The pace and fury of this legislative session is just different, though.  Not sure what is driving it other than the near impotence of the TN Democratic party as a political force, or maybe a governor starting his second and last term. 

Republicans driving the legislature are doing a lot more and doing it on the more extreme side of their politics it seems.  Some of that is good for gun owners I suppose...but like you, I worry about Lord Acton's thoughts about absolute power.

5 hours ago, BigK said:

Why does it look any more like racism than sexism? Is skin color all anyone sees?

Anyone who is curious about why the white lady was not also thrown out can do 30 seconds of research and conclude that she was apparently not as belligerent as the other two and picked up a few votes as a result.  But rather than pay attention to any facts, racebaiters bend the story to fit their narrative.  SSDD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
16 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I really don’t know, but it seems only one lawmaker saw a difference.

I'm confused by this statement. I just looked at the vote totals and they were 72-25, 69-26, and 65-30. I understand that Ms. Johnson avoided removal by only one vote, but 72 voted to remove Mr. Jones and only 65 to remove Ms. Johnson. 

Still, it's hard to attribute the difference to racism in the absence of further information. Perhaps it was reverse-misogyny, perhaps it was that Ms. Johnson's action was seen as less egregious, or maybe she was just better liked. No matter the reason, it IS a terrible optic, though.

And that admonition about avoiding the appearance for impropriety probably comes from the Bible verse, My mother used to this one on me when I tried to wriggle out of something.

1 Thessalonians 5:22

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

25 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Anyone who is curious about why the white lady was not also thrown out can do 30 seconds of research and conclude that she was apparently not as belligerent as the other two and picked up a few votes as a result.  But rather than pay attention to any facts, racebaiters bend the story to fit their narrative.  SSDD

I noticed in the video that the men were the ones waving arms, shouting and being disruptive. Johnson was just kinda standing there looking stupid. I believe that's what saved her butt. Of course the haters will never accept that. 🙄

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, BigK said:

It is all the Nation sees now, Johnson stepped out of the chamber at the end of her vote and told the newies she was kept because of race.  So that is the fact now, true or not.

Is the driver of a get-away car judged guilty of murder if the robber he ferried kills the attendant of the Stop and Rob?  She broke the House rules and I have been told she  was the one who brought the bull horn into the chamber.  She played the other two, all of us and got off, but relates it to race.

Tennessee looks like  bunch of toothless rubes, between our Lt. Gov. and our witless House Republicans who can not stay on task.  

It should give pause to everyone in the future when the Speaker of the House, titular head of the party there, tosses his hat in the ring for governor in '26.  

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Worriedman said:

It is all the Nation sees now, Johnson stepped out of the chamber at the end of her vote and told the newies she was kept because of race.  So that is the fact now, true or not.

Is the driver of a get-away car judged guilty of murder if the robber he ferried kills the attendant of the Stop and Rob?  She broke the House rules and I have been told she  was the one who brought the bull horn into the chamber.  She played the other two, all of us and got off, but relates it to race.

Sexton said Johnson was pleading her case not to be expelled and argued that she did not use the bullhorn or lead chants like the other two did.  Any truth to this that you know of?  True or not, I wouldn't expect to read about this interesting detail on MSM.

For those who care, here is the current makeup of the Tennessee State House as of today: 

75 Republicans

22 Democrats

2 vacancies.  One Memphis ( Shelby), 1 Nashville ( Davidson ).

I project the two vacancies will be replaced with the ousted children just as some here have opened.  That makes for a 75R/24D state house.  Effectively the same as it wuz.

There has been a seismic shift in Tennessee politics since about 2008, all caused by the shenanigans of the Democrat party in general.  I well remember when TN was a reliably New Deal, moderate Democrat state at the state n federal level.  Frank Clement, Ned McWhorter were good examples.

Today, the inner city is the only strongholds of the Democrat party in Tennessee.

2 seats.. Knoxville district 15 and 90... ( 90 is G. Johnson's seat ).

1 seat... Chattanooga... District 28..

12 seats... Nashville ( Davidson county ) district 52 vacant.

19 seats... Memphis ( Shelby county )... 1 seat vacant.

The democrats have been decimated in Tennessee, except for the usual spots.  Knoxville due to UT and the historic east Knoxville black community.  Nashville and Davidson county due to the usual suspects.  Memphis and Shelby county due to the old political machine dating back to the 1800s.

I wouldn't be too worried about a comeback of the Democratic Party in Tennessee at the state level anytime soon.

leroy..

Edited by leroy
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Darrell said:

I'm confused by this statement. I just looked at the vote totals and they were 72-25, 69-26, and 65-30. I understand that Ms. Johnson avoided removal by only one vote, but 72 voted to remove Mr. Jones and only 65 to remove Ms. Johnson. 

Still, it's hard to attribute the difference to racism in the absence of further information. Perhaps it was reverse-misogyny, perhaps it was that Ms. Johnson's action was seen as less egregious, or maybe she was just better liked. No matter the reason, it IS a terrible optic, though.

And that admonition about avoiding the appearance for impropriety probably comes from the Bible verse, My mother used to this one on me when I tried to wriggle out of something.

1 Thessalonians 5:22

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

I misspoke. I should have said a handful rather than one.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, leroy said:

I wouldn't be too worried about a comeback of the Democratic Party in Tennessee at the state level anytime soon.

leroy..

Don't have to worry about it, as long as the current 33 Senators sit where they are not a single Constitutional restorative issue related to the 2nd or 14th Amendment has a chance of making it out of committee.  The 4 Shelby County Senators are one and the same irrespective of supposed party.

3 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Sexton said Johnson was pleading her case not to be expelled and argued that she did not use the bullhorn or lead chants like the other two did.  Any truth to this that you know of?  True or not, I wouldn't expect to read about this interesting detail on MSM.

I was sure she never said expel them because they're black, but save me because I'm white. Whatever logic she managed to muster up to plead her case or reviewing the tape to see what she actually did that was different is likely what saved her. The fact that she stepped out of there and said the black guys got railroaded, but I'm white so they didn't expel me is the problem.

• Like 1