school shooting in Nashville at the Covenant School

FUJIMO

1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

Regardless of whatever the reason really is, it appears it can be only a single reason. One the female rep herself made the suggestion it could be. As to any argument it’s anything else, we had a saying when I was in the Air Force. 

“The appearance of impropriety is impropriety itself.”

It doesn’t matter what it is, it’s only what it looks like. To me and pretty much the rest of the country it looks like pure old school racism. Whomever the rep that voted differently for her is has got some serious ‘splainin to do. 

I wasn’t there so I don’t know the whole story, but I believe I’d have voted all or nothing one way or the other.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
Just now, gregintenn said:

I wasn’t there so I don’t know the whole story, but I believe I’d have voted all or nothing one way or the other.

That would’ve been far more defensible. That one single rep really, really screwed the pooch for the entire TN GOP. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It doesn’t matter what it is, it’s only what it looks like. To me and pretty much the rest of the country it looks like pure old school racism. Whomever the rep that voted differently for her is has got some serious ‘splainin to do. 

I haven't seen the actual "insurrection" but I was told she played a smaller part. Instead of using the bullhorn she stood off to the side. If that's not right, let me know. 

To your point, it doesn't matter if it's true or not as the optics alone are terrible. During his speech, one of the expelled members said that a Republican urinated in the seat of another lawmaker and wasn't punished. I would love to know that story. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I haven't seen the actual "insurrection" but I was told she played a smaller part. Instead of using the bullhorn she stood off to the side. If that's not right, let me know. 

To your point, it doesn't matter if it's true or not as the optics alone are terrible. During his speech, one of the expelled members said that a Republican urinated in the seat of another lawmaker and wasn't punished. I would love to know that story. 

I really don’t know, but it seems only one lawmaker saw a difference.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

No, I don’t think you have either. What bothers me is the people you seem to support sure have, however.

I don’t limit my support of issues/people to their stance on the 2A.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Admin Team
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I really don’t know, but it seems only one lawmaker saw a difference.

That one vote was Justin Pearson.  Had they removed him first they would have had the votes.

Something is changing in a way it hasn’t before. You can feel it on the ground at these protests.  More on that later maybe.

These lawmakers made fools of themselves yesterday in front of the whole nation.  They’re going to do anything to get that spotlight off of themselves. 

• Like 4
  • Moderators
45 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

That one vote was Justin Pearson.  Had they removed him first they would have had the votes.

Something is changing in a way it hasn’t before. You can feel it on the ground at these protests.  More on that later maybe.

These lawmakers made fools of themselves yesterday in front of the whole nation.  They’re going to do anything to get that spotlight off of themselves. 

Yeah, they really, really effed up all the way around. 

• Like 4

What an absolute and complete misread of the board by the TN GOP.  They could have achieved the same effective result with censure and revocation of committee assignments done without the public fanfare.  But instead they tried to send a message...the message ended up being how petty and vindictive the Tennessee Republicans are. 

All they had to do was ride this out and let the groundswell taper off.   Even if the shootings will change voters minds on gun rights, there are years before it would have any impact at the polls with Bill Lee just kicking off a new term and the legislature in super-majority status.  Very strong odds the desire for change on guns being a #1 issue wouldn't last that long unless we (hoping not) see shootings more.

What a bunch of power drunk fools.  They'll still survive in spite of themselves, but it's embarrassing to be governed by such bewildering incompetence holding that much power.

3 hours ago, leroy said:

the booting of these two thugs

leroy, I would ask why you think that description of them as thugs is appropriate in this case.  This was a political act, not a criminal one which is usually the general barometer for thug as a noun.  I'm generally not too overbearing on the "words matter" stuff, but in this case, talking about two black men chosen by their communities who tried to give voice to a minority opinion, the words we use absolutely have an impact.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 8

Censoring and loss of committee assignments would have been an appropriate punishment for what happened. Instead, the House GOP blew this completely out of proportion. This has got to be one the stupidest political blunders I have ever seen, in state politics.

The second stupidest blunder; or maybe the worst (Lord I just don't know). was in allowing Gloria Johnson to remain. Could we look any worse??? Could have taken a bite out of the racism card, by sending her packing. 

Blunder on top of blunder. Idiots, all of them!!! 

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

TN just created two rising stars that will probably end up in Washington….for years.  All out of pettiness and ignorance. 

Yes sir. Last night people were already calling for them to run for state senate, and anti-gun activists are flocking to Tennessee from all over the country. 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, btq96r said:

leroy, I would ask why you think that description of them as thugs is appropriate in this case.  This was a political act, not a criminal one which is usually the general barometer for thug as a noun.  I'm generally not too overbearing on the "words matter" stuff, but in this case, talking about two black men chosen by their communities who tried to give voice to a minority opinion, the words we use absolutely have an impact.

btq... 

The fact that these three instigated a a mini riot within the Tennessee State House chamber knowing full well it was at the least trespassing, and at its worst an attempted mass intimidation provided the monaker " thug "... All three of these " legislators " know that.  Had they been outside, I would pass it off as a " political act "... You do the " political act " thing outside the state House chambers.  You debate and legislate inside.  As to the " legislators chosen by their communities " thing; it looks ta me like they may have made a mistake in judgement as to who to send.   The time to " give voice to the minority opinion " was during the debate before the vote and before the " demonstration "... They well knew that.

AS to " words meaning things "; you bet they do.  Actions are even more powerful...

I'm generally no fan of polititians of any flavor, no matter whether local, state, or federal.  This time they accidentally almost did the right thing.   If they had have got  Gloria Johnson, they would've hit a " Grand Slam ".  It simply doesn't matter what anyone outside the state of Tennessee thinks.   They can bark n howl, nothing more.  This is a state matter.

leroy...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, Moped said:

Censoring and loss of committee assignments would have been an appropriate punishment for what happened. Instead, the House GOP blew this completely out of proportion. This has got to be one the stupidest political blunders I have ever seen, in state politics.

The second stupidest blunder; or maybe the worst (Lord I just don't know). was in allowing Gloria Johnson to remain. Could we look any worse??? Could have taken a bite out of the racism card, by sending her packing. 

Blunder on top of blunder. Idiots, all of them!!! 

They went above and beyond that by cutting off the three’s access to the building a day or two after the incident before anything was official.

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

Pride goeth before destruction - or so the old proverb goes...

Jones and Pearson will likely both be back in the House on an interim basis by Tuesday afternoon.  The council here in Nashville already is near unanimous - and Memphis has come out in support too.  Word is that Sexton is trying to bargain with the Memphis's mayor behind the scenes - threatening to withhold funding for the work being done on the Forum if they send Pearson back.  Pearson will be back.

Regardless of what you think of their particular politics - I would encourage anyone to avoid making the same mistake the legislature did yesterday.

Jones was instrumental - and a thorn in the flesh of the legislature - in getting the NBF statue removed from the Rotunda.

Pearson was quite effective as an organizer in getting the Byhalia Pipeline stopped.  So much so that the state passed laws to make it so that local legislatures can't intervene again.  That will likely get tossed out in court. 

If you didn't watch the proceedings yesterday - I'd encourage you to. Both of those gentlemen are there because their communities sent them there.

You may not agree with them.  But those two - with less than four months between them in the House - went up against people who talk for a living - and ran laps around them.

They gave a master class on swaying public opinion.

Dismiss or discount them at your peril.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, leroy said:

btq... 

The fact that these three instigated a a mini riot within the Tennessee State House chamber knowing full well it was at the least trespassing, and at its worst an attempted mass intimidation provided the monaker " thug "... All three of these " legislators " know that.  Had they been outside, I would pass it off as a " political act "... You do the " political act " thing outside the state House chambers.  You debate and legislate inside.  As to the " legislators chosen by their communities " thing; it looks ta me like they may have made a mistake in judgement as to who to send.   The time to " give voice to the minority opinion " was during the debate before the vote and before the " demonstration "... They well knew that.

AS to " words meaning things "; you bet they do.  Actions are even more powerful...

I'm generally no fan of polititians of any flavor, no matter whether local, state, or federal.  This time they accidentally almost did the right thing.   If they had have got  Gloria Johnson, they would've hit a " Grand Slam ".  It simply doesn't matter what anyone outside the state of Tennessee thinks.   They can bark n howl, nothing more.  This is a state matter.

leroy...

The term mini riot is quite a stretch.  Far as I know it was a civil disturbance more than anything. 

I actually like a reminder on occasion that when they feel like it, the people will visit legislators in their venue.  I know a lot of us would support, and probably be among a crowd doing the same thing if a draconian gun control bill was coming up for a vote.   Sometimes the minority needs to be forcefully vocal as part of the process.  As long as they're not violent and destructive, it's political, indoors or outside.

It's not something we can abide every time and on every issue, but politicians should be afraid of some vocal and in your face feedback like we saw here,  Even if I disagree with their stance and wishes, I like the passion that compelled people to give their time to a cause and make their feelings know outside of voting and donations or a Thumbs Up button.

8 minutes ago, btq96r said:

The term mini riot is quite a stretch.  Far as I know it was a civil disturbance more than anything. 

I actually like a reminder on occasion that when they feel like it, the people will visit legislators in their venue.  I know a lot of us would support, and probably be among a crowd doing the same thing if a draconian gun control bill was coming up for a vote.   Sometimes the minority needs to be forcefully vocal as part of the process.  As long as they're not violent and destructive, it's political, indoors or outside.

It's not something we can abide every time and on every issue, but politicians should be afraid of some vocal and in your face feedback like we saw here,  Even if I disagree with their stance and wishes, I like the passion that compelled people to give their time to a cause and make their feelings know outside of voting and donations or a Thumbs Up button.

Looks ta me like we have a difference of opinion.   Knock yourself out... I could care less about their passion.  

mon carin leroy...

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, leroy said:

btq... 

leroy...

@leroy I generally agree with you on most things and always enjoy and respect your highly insightful posts but maybe not this time.  The brouhaha that day doesn’t even rise to the level of a “ mini riot”. 

There is sometimes raucousness in the House.  If there wasn’t the system isn’t working for all.  Opinions do need to be heard, at least cursorily with a modicum of tolerance.  

Sexton and the majority are the thugs in this case.

Fan of Leroy…

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, this was the lead story on the SeeBS Evening News. According to them, 3 brave reps were unjustly punished for protesting for more gun control. They twisted the story around to make it look like the "3" are innocent victims of politics and racism. Once again its not what you say. but how you say it. 💩

I sent my Representative a rather blunt e-mail expressing my anger and irritation on how this matter was handled. I suggest you all do the same. 

I am truly embarrassed and angry with my state's government right now. 🤬 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Links2k said:

I don’t limit my support of issues/people to their stance on the 2A.  

I do. I suppose my support of the second amendment is stronger than yours. On this, I hope we can simply agree to disagree.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3