Discussion: Server Failure on Sunday, September 17, 2023

TGO David

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, bubbadavis said:

I really want to hear the nitty-gritty details of the old hosting company - after you get some rest! I'm used to servers having at least RAID arrays; while not foolproof, they usually help with data loss. 

We've used them for a few years.  Last year they were purchased by another company.  The prices went up but they [quietly] abandoned the Managed Service Provider model and went to pure bare-bones hosting.

When I reached out to them for assistance yesterday, I was advised that they no longer did that sort of thing and that it was up to me to handle every aspect of the recovery.

So, I hired a new company last night -- one that does do managed services -- and fired the old company today.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, Nikiski Dave said:

David I was so close to calling my shrink. But at $100 an  hour he is not not my friend..   Where do you want me to send you the check?

Had it taken another day to rebuild, I would have told you to just send your money to the local liquor store under my name.  😉

• Haha 3
  • Administrator
22 minutes ago, papa61 said:

glad we are back,,,I was in a panic. I may not post a lot but I do read a lot (too much)?

Honestly that's me these days.  I read more than I post.  With shorter days and longer nights around the corner, I'm sure that my activity will pick back up.  🙂

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, TGO David said:

We've used them for a few years.  Last year they were purchased by another company.  The prices went up but they [quietly] abandoned the Managed Service Provider model and went to pure bare-bones hosting.

When I reached out to them for assistance yesterday, I was advised that they no longer did that sort of thing and that it was up to me to handle every aspect of the recovery.

So, I hired a new company last night -- one that does do managed services -- and fired the old company today.

Good choice! Nice they decided to cut services while increasing prices...

I was sure the .gov had knocked the site off line, ya know guns and all.😋 Then I saw the post about what had happened and was thinking that FUJIMO had posted something that had done the hardware in.😍

Just glad the site is back up and running!

I do see my user name in the upper right corrner twice, a bit off set. Fixed after I reloaded my avatar pic.

Edited by RED333
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

@TGO Davidas a fellow computer dude, you mentioned hardware failure. Is TGO running on dedicated hardware? I don't know the complexity of the infra, but would have assumed it would be all virtualized/cloud hosted.

definitely not to question your solution or anything, i'm just curious

We were on dedicated hardware since around 2013 or 2014, but we are back to a virtualized solution now.  MacGyver and I are starting to research just moving it all to Azure for better scalability, tough.