It’s Football time in Tennessee

Sleep profit

• 2 weeks later...

The Washington Huskies just picked up Vandy LB Ethan Barr from the transfer portal. It looks like he'll be a role player with the Huskies, or subbed in often.  I'm not sure that I like the transfer portal, it's eventually going to give us a handful of very good teams among a multitude of not-so-good. But then maybe we're already there? 

While I think that college players should share in all the wealth that football and basketball generates, it's something of a shock to see good players weighing whether they can make more money staying in college or going pro. 

12 hours ago, Darrell said:

While I think that college players should share in all the wealth that football and basketball generates, it's something of a shock to see good players weighing whether they can make more money staying in college or going pro. 

and it may ruin college football.  

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

The transfer portal and NIL will change it forever. The days of commitment and loyalty are quickly ending. The players are inevitably moving to mercenary status, just like the pros. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Darrell said:

it's eventually going to give us a handful of very good teams among a multitude of not-so-good

34 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Those ships have sailed already ...

10 hours ago, peejman said:

The transfer portal and NIL will change it forever. The days of commitment and loyalty are quickly ending. The players are inevitably moving to mercenary status, just like the pros. 

It's a business at this point. It's no different than us changing jobs for better pay. It's sad, but there is little reason to be loyal to a school now. It's actually been a business for a long time but the difference is that players are finally getting their piece of the pie. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

It's a business at this point. It's no different than us changing jobs for better pay. It's sad, but there is little reason to be loyal to a school now. It's actually been a business for a long time but the difference is that players are finally getting their piece of the pie. 

Very sad.  The "business" used to be educating students. The big sports schools have transitioned to focusing on entertaining sports fans on the weekends.

To me, it's becoming a choice.... do you want an education or sports titles? I know they all claim to be excellent educational institutions, but the bigger they get, the easier it gets to slip through the cracks. 

I don't blame the athletes for wanting their piece of the pie, but the implementation of that will be very messy. 

The kneeling thing was the nail in the coffin for me continuing to watch NFL football, but I was already extremely tired of NFL players refusing to practice etc because they demanded $20 million instead of $18 million, or they weren’t the highest paid running back, or whatever.  College football didn’t have all that.  I assume that will change.   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

The kneeling thing was the nail in the coffin for me continuing to watch NFL football, but I was already extremely tired of NFL players refusing to practice etc because they demanded $20 million instead of $18 million, or they weren’t the highest paid running back, or whatever.  College football didn’t have all that.  I assume that will change.   

Look at all the players opting out of bowl games now.  That was unheard of 10 years ago and speaks to the (lack of) loyalty and commitment to the school.  

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

I agree with you. when NFL players started kneeling during national anthem. I quit watching. I can’t support that  I hope college never starts that if they do I will quit them to   

1 minute ago, peejman said:

Look at all the players opting out of bowl games now.  That was unheard of 10 years ago and speaks to the (lack of) loyalty and commitment to the school.  

That doesn't bother me though. Bowl games don't mean much and it's not worth the risk of injury right as you're trying to go pro. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, peejman said:

Most of these players are loyal to only money power and prestige and they  are going to the school or pro team. who offers them the best shot at it it     sad but that’s where we are at as a society  except my beloved Vols. Of course.  Ha  Ha. 

19 minutes ago, peejman said:

ME ME ME.  Different mentality.  A stud senior on my daughter’s soccer team blew her knee with two games left.  She was more distraught about letting her team down than she was about her scholarship she had just accepted possibly being in jeopardy.  

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

That doesn't bother me though. Bowl games don't mean much and it's not worth the risk of injury right as you're trying to go pro. 

Exactly.  They're making business decisions.  The risk/reward balance is skewed to the point where skipping the bowl games is the logical move.  If CFB wants to fix that, they can fix how the players are rewarded for being in an eligible bowl game.

And not for nothing, their teammates seem to always be supportive of when someone makes that decision.  Same with the coaches, because they know a healthy player who goes to the league is a good recruitment story.  Losing that player for a bowl game is worth it in their eyes.

17 hours ago, peejman said:

Also, just like their coaches.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, btq96r said:

Exactly.  They're making business decisions.  The risk/reward balance is skewed to the point where skipping the bowl games is the logical move.  If CFB wants to fix that, they can fix how the players are rewarded for being in an eligible bowl game.

And not for nothing, their teammates seem to always be supportive of when someone makes that decision.  Same with the coaches, because they know a healthy player who goes to the league is a good recruitment story.  Losing that player for a bowl game is worth it in their eyes.

Also, just like their coaches.

So the top players think they've got a high enough stock price that one more opportunity to shine won't wag the needle.  The flip side is that gives the backup a chance to showcase, but also means bowl games outside of the playoffs are largely meaningless for the school.  

Gotta go to at least 12 teams in the playoffs. Every round on consecutive weekends, whole thing done by Jan 1.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sleep profit said:

Any predictions in bowl games

No prediction from me. I don't bet and don't have a crystal ball, but I sure do hope you're wrong about the Sugar Bowl! The Huskies beat Texas pretty convincingly in the Alamo Bowl last year, and the teams both bring back most of their personnel. 

I dislike Alabama and Michigan both. Can they both lose? That would be ideal.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Darrell said:

No prediction from me. I don't bet and don't have a crystal ball, but I sure do hope you're wrong about the Sugar Bowl! The Huskies beat Texas pretty convincingly in the Alamo Bowl last year, and the teams both bring back most of their personnel. 

I dislike Alabama and Michigan both. Can they both lose? That would be ideal.

If you had a working crystal ball you and I would be talking a trip to Vegas My friend lol 😂   Any snow on the mountain yet 

Edited by Sleep profit