Torn between two lovers

slip82

I haven't been big on EDC, but I am thinking about purchasing a new EDC. I currently carry a Ruger LC9 occasionally, but it's just not for me. I like metal, hammer fired guns. I also am not a huge fan of the capacity.

I'm leaning towards a CZ 75 D PCR. Man that thing feels good in my hand. The weight, the capacity.

But I'm torn. I also fell in love with a Springfield Ronin emp 4. I love 1911's . I have been a 1911 owner for almost 20 years. 

Both feel great. But I'm kinda leaning toward the CZ. 10 round difference carrying two mags is huge. 

Anybody use either of these? What are your thoughts? 

Thanks

The gun I carried for EDC the longest was a CZ P-01. So, I'm partial to the CZ line-up myself. I actually wanted the PCR with decocker more, but I went with the one I could find in stock at that time. I've been making compromises toward smaller and lighter the past few years. The CZ was the last gun I carried that didn't feel like settling for less.

• Like 1

I'm an old time 1911 guy and usually go with that. But honestly, I've never cared for a 1911 in 9mm. It just wrong. 🙄 If you go 1911, do it right in .45acp. 

Nothing wrong with a CZ. Great guns. 

I guess it just boils down to the type of action you want. Straight SA or DA/SA. 

• Like 1

I own a Cajun custom PCR and 75 Compact. I love both pistols. To me, the 75 Compact has a smoother and faster trigger action when carrying the hammer back, and, of course, the safety on, than the de-cocker action of the PCR. Because of their weight, I find myself picking up my Sig P365 XL more often. Carrying a 1911 might feel bulky to me.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm an old time 1911 guy and usually go with that. But honestly, I've never cared for a 1911 in 9mm. It just wrong. 🙄 If you go 1911, do it right in .45acp. 

Nothing wrong with a CZ. Great guns. 

I guess it just boils down to the type of action you want. Straight SA or DA/SA. 

I feel the same. 9mm just feels wrong. And you're not getting that much more capacity.

Do you carry a full size 1911? I have a Springfield milspec. I have carried it from time to time, but it's huge lol. Any recommendations?

My advice comes from the perspective of a guy that carries everywhere, all the time. If you pick something that’s big or heavy, most likely, you are going to get to a point that you’ll quit carrying, because of the size or weight.

The bigger the pistol, the more it tends to print and the more self conscious you’ll be. If it’s heavy and you don’t invest in the right belt and holster combo, then you are not going to want to carry, cause it will pull on your pants and you’ll be uncomfortable and go around tugging on them. Make sure that you’ll be comfortable carrying which ever pistol you pick. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Carrying a 1911 for the most time has gotten to feel heavier the older I get-

I started carrying a Sig P365X with a RDS and find myself staying with this more and more-

Shoulder and back pain make carrying a smaller lighter firearm a better choice-

Round count has never made my choice but zero malfunctions have-

It's all a personal choice-

I still prefer a Kimber Ultra although in 9mm-

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Moped said:

My advice comes from the perspective of a guy that carries everywhere, all the time. If you pick something that’s big or heavy, most likely, you are going to get to a point that you’ll quit carrying, because of the size or weight.

The bigger the pistol, the more it tends to print and the more self conscious you’ll be. If it’s heavy and you don’t invest in the right belt and holster combo, then you are not going to want to carry, cause it will pull on your pants and you’ll be uncomfortable and go around tugging on them. Make sure that you’ll be comfortable carrying which ever pistol you pick. 

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  I carry everywhere. Being 5-10' and 180 lbs, I carry a Kahr PM9, or a P380 in the summer. I just have this 'thing' about printing. And anything bigger just gets uncomfortable for me. But I also have several IWB holsters that I love and are super comfy. Thats the key.

I can forget I have a gun with me at times, my carry guns are that comfortable. Even when hiking or working in the yard.

I'm not that concerned about how many rounds I have. I'm not PD, probably not gonna get in a shootout-lol. My 7+1 plus extra mag is enough for me.

I also have an EMP. I have carried that when out hiking and I like it a lot. A Sig P938 also. But for a dedicated carry piece I'll take striker fired. Had a PCR and while it shot great it was too bulky for me to carry all the time.

Choose what feels best to you, gun AND caliber.

• Like 2

I vote for the EMP.  I've had three (one 3" and two 4") and I'm a fan.  It's small enough to carry and big enough to shoot.  Be aware that Springfield 9mm 1911s are notorious for having really tight chamber dimensions.  They are happy to send you a label and open up the chamber and feed ramp.  By now, hopefully a looser chamber is standard.  

I'm not a big DA/SA fan, but I can tolerate a CZ that has been worked on by Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom or at least has some of their parts.  Most out-of-the-box DA triggers are just awful, IMO.  But take my opinion with a grain of salt - competitive shooting has made me a bit of a trigger snob.  

As for carrying either one, the holster is everything.  They are harder to find, but I like kydex IWB holsters that have the clips in front of and behind the gun, as opposed to next to it.  This design makes for a flatter, thinner, more comfortable package. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

PCR over EMP if you're choosing between the two, IMO. Hard to beat just about any CZ 75 series.

One thing of note is that carrying all depends on what you're wearing. Even a compact is going to look like you have a howitzer strapped to your hip if you're not dressed for it.

Right now I have Sig P365 xmacro tacops for when I'm wearing a button up. If I'm just in a T-shirt and shorts, I pocket carry an LCP2.

I also tend to buy my pants a bit big and wear a belt daily (I carry everywhere).

When you first start daily carry, you'll probably feel like everyone is staring at you. Truth is, nobody will be. If anything, they're looking at your face. This is assuming you don't fidget with it. Constantly tugging on your shirt or adjusting your pants. Gotta learn to keep your mitts off. It takes a bit.

• Like 2

I've got a CZ P-01 and love it. It's not the smallest, nor the lightest, but it feels great in the hand and shoots beautifully. Probably not much lighter than the EMP, but capacity is better. The grip angle on both is pretty different, I'd shoot both if you can and see if you prefer one more than the other.

• Like 2

Keep in mind the EMP is Springfield's proprietary downsized frame.   While some 1911 parts are interchangeable, some aren't.   That said, I'd still probably pick it over the CZ.   I've owned a bunch of CZ 75 variants and have come to the conclusion they just don't work for me, so I'm done trying.   Just my personal opinion and experience.   I'd really rather have a M&P or Walther with a RDS installed over either, for carry.

• Like 1

I've carried a variety of pistols started with one of the original S&W mp 40, then a Kimber custom tle 2 45, sheild 45, now I carry mostly a HK vp9 with a delta point on it.  The correct holster and position make all the difference.  The sheild was the easiest by far to carry and conceal, but after talking with brothers I trust, just not enough rounds available when needed.  But the best carry is the one you will carry all the time, and it's different for all.  Good luck.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Moped said:

This is my experience exactly.  At one time I was carrying a M&Pc, then went to a full size M&P. That was fine and I really like the gun. Then I retired and was carrying most of the time and as time went on it got heavier and heavier. I got out my Kel Tec PF9 and now that is about all I carry all day every day. As much as I liked the M&P it got to be a hindrance to having one on me. 

• Like 3

As much as a 1911 45 acp lover that I am, would go for the 9mm CZ.

Short barrel 45's just don't get the velocity to expand properly.  Yeah, the 45 is more energy, but would rather have the faster moving 9mm projectile which seems to expand more reliably.

And heresy of heresies, I feel more comfortably carrying a pistol with the decocker as opposed to a "cocked and locked" 1911.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, JustEd said:

As much as a 1911 45 acp lover that I am, would go for the 9mm CZ.

Short barrel 45's just don't get the velocity to expand properly.  Yeah, the 45 is more energy, but would rather have the faster moving 9mm projectile which seems to expand more reliably.

And heresy of heresies, I feel more comfortably carrying a pistol with the decocker as opposed to a "cocked and locked" 1911.

That sound we just heard was Jeff Cooper turning over in his grave.....................

Just kidding.... I agree with what you said.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...