Snow

7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

We just made a Kroger run. I have never seen the roads this bad in Knoxville. With temperatures at zero tonight I expect the roads to be covered in ice by tomorrow. 

That’s when it gets fun!

• Like 1

Folks around here simply forget the rules of the road when the road turns white. They’ll just stop for no reason, get out and walk around while parked in a driving lane, and everybody drives about 6 miles per hour. They’ll bow up in front of you and make a u turn. It’s crazy!

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Folks around here simply forget the rules of the road when the road turns white. They’ll just stop for no reason, get out and walk around while parked in a driving lane, and everybody drives about 6 miles per hour. They’ll bow up in front of you and make a u turn. It’s crazy!

You just described lunch time around any chick fil a around here 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, tnhawk said:

Add the EVs to the load and grid will be pushed past its limits.

I got a text from the utility company urging me to conserve energy to reduce strain on the electrical grid.  Any politician opposed to more domestic natural gas production and consumption should go to jail.  

• Like 8
44 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Folks around here in Jeeps and F-250s think they are in the Nascar Snowmobile Nationals.  

• Haha 4

I just walked out to the "main" road (a two-lane country road in the sticks) and there have been a few people driving on it. The problem is that the tires compact the snow and it becomes ice, and ice takes much longer to go away than just the snow. Oh well, it's just for a week, right?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

parked in a driving lane, and everybody drives about 6 miles per hour.

I wasn't going 6 but I did go slower than normal as I think we should. Other people were going way too fast. I even had a guy tailgating me. My Tundra is capable but I'm not looking to crash. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Here in Clarksville, 2:22 pm it is 17 degrees F. Electricity has gone out a bunch of times this morning, just briefly.

Going to be cold tonight and for the next couple of days. Right now the sun is shining but who really knows the future.

Take care and stay warm folks!

9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I wasn't going 6 but I did go slower than normal as I think we should. Other people were going way too fast. I even had a guy tailgating me. My Tundra is capable but I'm not looking to crash. 

You should slow down. I told the kids that just because a 4wd went good in the snow didn't mean it didn't have the same brakes as a 2wd.

If you can't drive any faster than walking speed though, leave the car at home and walk.

26 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Amen.
I tested the roads last night because I planned to be at work today.  I was going 30-35 on a narrow two lane road with a fairly sloped shoulder that I normally do 45-50 on (speed limit is 45) and a guy in an F-250 tailgates me through some curves and then blows by me on a double yellow solid line straightaway.  Maybe it was an idiot teenager or somebody was in labor, but there was probably no need to go that fast on that road. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Amen.
I tested the roads last night because I planned to be at work today.  I was going 30-35 on a narrow two lane road with a fairly sloped shoulder that I normally do 45-50 on (speed limit is 45) and a guy in an F-250 tailgates me through some curves and then blows by me on a double yellow solid line straightaway.  Maybe it was an idiot teenager, but there was just no need to go that fast on that road. 

I don't care how good a driver somebody is, the laws of physics take over when the road is slick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Moderators

Final measurement here at house was 10 1/4 inches. 

Note to self, even being in the gym 3 days a week does not prep you for shoveling  10 inches of snow from sidewalk and driveway.

Roads were very slick this morning about 11am. I75 was fairly decent.

Day 2, My 10 day snack supply is depleted.

20240116_104351.jpg

20240116_104915.jpg

20240116_104205.jpg

20240116_110224.jpg

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I don't care how good a driver somebody is, the laws of physics take over when the road is slick.

Right - just because that lifted 4wd can drag race in the snow doesn’t mean it can stop.  

• Like 2

I measure anywhere between 6 1/2 and 8" in places that are level and don't look to have been drifted by wind.

Do you guys drive in 4wd when there is snow on the road, or just when you need it? I reserve it for the last option. My wife doesn't really like it.

23 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I measure anywhere between 6 1/2 and 8" in places that are level and don't look to have been drifted by wind.

Do you guys drive in 4wd when there is snow on the road, or just when you need it? I reserve it for the last option. My wife doesn't really like it.

Both. I try to avoid sharp turns while in 4x4 because it's hard on the CV axles. They can bind. So I flip back and forth as needed. I think our roads can be a lot steeper here than middle TN so 4x4 is definitely needed at times. It also just helps increase traction at times when all 4 tires are working. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

Both. I try to avoid sharp turns while in 4x4 because it's hard on the CV axles. They can bind. So I flip bath and forth as needed. I think our roads can be a lot steeper here than middle TN so 4x4 is definitely needed at times. It also just helps increase traction at times when all 4 tires are working. 

I like to slide and drift like I'm racing on a dirt track.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Moderators
42 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I'm usually in 4wd. Grew up on narrow two lane roads in mountains of Western NC. Lot of hills etc so needed it for traction going up. To me it gives a little more control if front starts sliding but also helps slowing down keeping foot off the brake.

I also had a Mustang GT when I was younger and would pass 4wd vehicles in the ditch. Only used 2nd and 3rd gear.

Common sense, slow speed and foot off the brakes is the most important thing.  That and staying a good distance from EVERYONE. 

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 3
36 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

4WD and I don’t  drive like that mode makes me somehow invincible as so many do.  I also know what those two settings below D on the gear shifter are and make use of them when appropriate.

• Like 2

We have about 6-7 inches now and still falling. I went out o back deck and swept away enough to  feed the birds and they were sure hungry. They were on the deck with me and eating about as fast as I was putting the food down. I will feed them once more about 4 pm and then again tomorrow. Glad I got 50 lbs of food for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1