Anyone planning for trouble?

With the state of the federal government right now, is anyone planning for civil unrest after the elections.   It seems like if Biden doesn't win, his followers will make the summer of "love" look like a cake walk.   And if Trump doesn't win, and there is any evidence of cheating, there may be violence that way.

Just wondering if trouble does start, what we should be prepared for to wait out and see what happens and protect ourselves.  Maybe I'm just paranoid (well, less so where we are), but I'm afraid for the country.

NOTE: Not advocating starting anything, just if people are planning on protecting themselves, their families and maybe even the community of it is brought to us.

• Like 4

For sure, I feel this way too. Gonna be an ugly year no matter who wins but I also am going back and forth between feeling paranoid and wanting to start stocking up on the essentials. I'm sure were not the only ones. Add in the fact that at some point down the road we could be dealing with other issues that we have basically INVITED into our country and the possibilities for SHTF scenarios are increased. Has anyone ordered from the any of the food emergency companies? 4Patriots ads have been all over social media for the last couple weeks.

My advice would be to put back about 3 months worth of food and enough ammo to protect it. You may have to stay put at home for a couple of months after the election. If Trump wins we may have the 2020 summer of love in every big city across the country.

Edited by eRay

My guess is that if there are going to be major problems, they will manifest in larger cities. I live in a small community and have no fear at all of any kind of disruption locally. But I can imagine scenarios that might make food distribution to supermarkets difficult. 

It's probably wise to think about the possibilities, but right now I'm not very worried at all. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Darrell said:

My guess is that if there are going to be major problems, they will manifest in larger cities. I live in a small community and have no fear at all of any kind of disruption locally. But I can imagine scenarios that might make food distribution to supermarkets difficult. 

It's probably wise to think about the possibilities, but right now I'm not very worried at all. 

This. The bad actors will take whatever excuse they need to create some mayhem. They also know which metro areas will be the easiest to make a spectacle in.  As with all the other media, they're out to generate clicks and sensationalism. 

That said, a grocery run before the election wouldn't be a bad idea. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, TNBuck2 said:

For sure, I feel this way too. Gonna be an ugly year no matter who wins but I also am going back and forth between feeling paranoid and wanting to start stocking up on the essentials. I'm sure were not the only ones. Add in the fact that at some point down the road we could be dealing with other issues that we have basically INVITED into our country and the possibilities for SHTF scenarios are increased. Has anyone ordered from the any of the food emergency companies? 4Patriots ads have been all over social media for the last couple weeks.

Mountain supply company will frequently run deals on their #10 cans. Pretty much every major holiday they run a deal for 30-40% off.  I prefer those over the tub products, but have a tub or two squirreled away. Supposedly the dehydrated cans last 30 years, I sometimes get field mice when the temps change and those hold up.  You can also try the jesuits as well: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/topics/food-storage/longer-term-food-supply?lang=eng That being said buy canned goods of things you’re used to and just rotate them monthly. 

There will always be some sort of unrest. I just like to stay stocked up on everything because it’s not hard to do. Had a year up north that shutdown the city with 8’ of snow in 3 weeks. No trains running, bare shelves, kinda like Covid. Miserable trudging through the snow to find sparse shelves and carrying home supplies.  

Also was present for the marathon bombing, they cut comms immediately making phones useless, no one could call in or out, then they implemented martial law. My neighborhood was complete lockdown while the terrorists went around shooting cops and stealing cars. We just grabbed the go bags and were already settled in VT by the time they found the terrorists and lifted the mandatory stay at home. Was rather dystopian seeing a major city empty, no trains, cabs, people, just cops circling giving orders to stay off the roads. 

That being said, natural disaster or the grid going down seems more likely than  violent spillover from cities or SHTF. Also, the mobs don’t happen in the south like they do in other cities because… well. Nashville one idiot started a fire in the state building and they threw the book at them. I road-tripped July of covid from Maine all the way down and most major cities were still boarded up, even in very expensive real estate.

Wish I had stocked up on more  hygiene/convenience consumables pre inflation but we’re good on food, water, puppy chow and brass. I just think it’s common sense especially after seeing Katrina and Covid to keep a few month supply of food and water, generator and some gas. Don’t bother trying to talk about it with other people that aren’t like minded because they’ll just say you’re stocking up to be a  tinfoil wearing marauder in the apocalypse. We have friends like this who complained about not having a ton of food for the storm. They also are vehemently anti-2A but when it was suggested we go to a remote cabin for one of those anti-light pollution stargazing things. It was casually brought up “it’ll make us feel better if you guys were there because it’s scary out there and you guys will bring guns”. They’re good people but jokes on them as far as I’m concerned. It could dump 6 feet of snow and hard freeze for anwhile and we wouldn’t lose a lb. 

Tried to get my PCP to prescribe me some basic antibiotics and z-pax, let’s just say he’s not like minded. I’m planning a trip out of country and he said he’d write me a few scripts just in case, I’ll grab a few in the local pharmacy in the country I’m in. I cut myself pretty decently with a dull knife out of network. Wasn’t going to pay out of network prices for a dozen stitches and rode it out until I got in network but wanted antibiotics to be safe. Telehealth agreed nothing could be done 72 hours post cut but wouldn’t write the script so I still had to go and see the PCP for a $150 copay to get a 30 second look over and a script of bactrum. I spend all my off time outdoors, I wouldn’t hate having doxy on hand for when I miss a tick and get a bullseye. That’s what I’m more worried about is medicine, the rest just takes some budgeting and time. 

• Like 2

I've been prepared for years. I do believe things will get ugly in November no matter who wins. I don't think I'm in much danger where I am. But Memphis could see some serious problems. As long as they stay away from me and mine, I'll just sit back and watch.

I'm no expert, but I avoid dried or dehydrated foods. I believe that if the SHTF for real, that water will be more precious than food. 

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

Mountain supply company will frequently run deals on their #10 cans. Pretty much every major holiday they run a deal for 30-40% off.  I prefer those over the tub products, but have a tub or two squirreled away. Supposedly the dehydrated cans last 30 years, I sometimes get field mice when the temps change and those hold up.  You can also try the jesuits as well: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/topics/food-storage/longer-term-food-supply?lang=eng That being said buy canned goods of things you’re used to and just rotate them monthly. 

There will always be some sort of unrest. I just like to stay stocked up on everything because it’s not hard to do. Had a year up north that shutdown the city with 8’ of snow in 3 weeks. No trains running, bare shelves, kinda like Covid. Miserable trudging through the snow to find sparse shelves and carrying home supplies.  

Also was present for the marathon bombing, they cut comms immediately making phones useless, no one could call in or out, then they implemented martial law. My neighborhood was complete lockdown while the terrorists went around shooting cops and stealing cars. We just grabbed the go bags and were already settled in VT by the time they found the terrorists and lifted the mandatory stay at home. Was rather dystopian seeing a major city empty, no trains, cabs, people, just cops circling giving orders to stay off the roads. 

That being said, natural disaster or the grid going down seems more likely than  violent spillover from cities or SHTF. Also, the mobs don’t happen in the south like they do in other cities because… well. Nashville one idiot started a fire in the state building and they threw the book at them. I road-tripped July of covid from Maine all the way down and most major cities were still boarded up, even in very expensive real estate.

Wish I had stocked up on more  hygiene/convenience consumables pre inflation but we’re good on food, water, puppy chow and brass. I just think it’s common sense especially after seeing Katrina and Covid to keep a few month supply of food and water, generator and some gas. Don’t bother trying to talk about it with other people that aren’t like minded because they’ll just say you’re stocking up to be a  tinfoil wearing marauder in the apocalypse. We have friends like this who complained about not having a ton of food for the storm. They also are vehemently anti-2A but when it was suggested we go to a remote cabin for one of those anti-light pollution stargazing things. It was casually brought up “it’ll make us feel better if you guys were there because it’s scary out there and you guys will bring guns”. They’re good people but jokes on them as far as I’m concerned. It could dump 6 feet of snow and hard freeze for anwhile and we wouldn’t lose a lb. 

Tried to get my PCP to prescribe me some basic antibiotics and z-pax, let’s just say he’s not like minded. I’m planning a trip out of country and he said he’d write me a few scripts just in case, I’ll grab a few in the local pharmacy in the country I’m in. I cut myself pretty decently with a dull knife out of network. Wasn’t going to pay out of network prices for a dozen stitches and rode it out until I got in network but wanted antibiotics to be safe. Telehealth agreed nothing could be done 72 hours post cut but wouldn’t write the script so I still had to go and see the PCP for a $150 copay to get a 30 second look over and a script of bactrum. I spend all my off time outdoors, I wouldn’t hate having doxy on hand for when I miss a tick and get a bullseye. That’s what I’m more worried about is medicine, the rest just takes some budgeting and time. 

Good stuff Scotty, thanks for the info. You've seen some stuff for sure! The one thing I do have is a lot of brass, but always looking for more of course. I just need to bite the bullet and get some of the long term food stuffs that's sealed up for peace of mind. I did a lot of stocking up here and there during the later days of covid, but have rotated all that through and used it up. I have no excuses for not stocking up as I have a storm shelter that's big enough to put everything I would need.

While I do have well water, which is good. I also have a 50 gallon drum (food safe) filled and a food safe pump for it.  

I don’t have much in terms of rations but I should pick up a few month supply for my family.   I’m worry about my eldest as he is in California, my youngest is in Nashville (he can always come to the house we have in the middle of no where)

I have guns and about 5000 rounds of each caliber.  And enough components to make another 10,000 rounds.  So I think I’m good there. 

I recently purchased a baofeng radio for communication but I don’t really know how to use it. 

might also be useful to setup a communication network so that we can contact one another if things happen.  I’m more than happy to help this community; even if we have slightly different ideologies, we can help one another. 

Baofeng uv-5 Radio

This is the radio that I picked up but really don’t know how to use. So I’m looking at one of these books.  There are quite a few on Amazon but no idea which to pickup  

The Guerrilla's Guide To The Baofeng Radio

The Baofeng Radio Bible: [12 in 1] Master Baofeng Radio with the Guerrilla’s Handbook - Ensure Connectivity When Communication Collapses in Emergencies, Natural Disasters, Wars, and Beyond

• Like 3
3 hours ago, CylonGlitch said:

Baofeng uv-5 Radio

This is the radio that I picked up but really don’t know how to use. So I’m looking at one of these books.  There are quite a few on Amazon but no idea which to pickup  

The Guerrilla's Guide To The Baofeng Radio

The Baofeng Radio Bible: [12 in 1] Master Baofeng Radio with the Guerrilla’s Handbook - Ensure Connectivity When Communication Collapses in Emergencies, Natural Disasters, Wars, and Beyond

Every time I've looked at getting a walkie for a SHTF situation I always end up reading a review stating it's illegal to use it without a HAM operators  license or some crap. Those or gm15's

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FUJIMO said:

Every time I've looked at getting a walkie for a SHTF situation I always end up reading a review stating it's illegal to use it without a HAM operators  license or some crap. Those or gm15's

Illegal to transmit without a license.  Listening is fine. If society collapses, I doubt the FCC will be taking names. 

• Like 5
33 minutes ago, peejman said:

Illegal to transmit without a license.  Listening is fine. If society collapses, I doubt the FCC will be taking names. 

Agreed 100%.  Also getting a license is easy and cheap once you learn the basics.  

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Every time I've looked at getting a walkie for a SHTF situation

For a two-meter radio, like the Baofeng, only a tech license is required. You can buy a study guide, devote a few evenings, and easily pass the test.  Two-meters is line-of-site, so it may not be real useful in a "situation", though. Most of us use them with repeaters, and those may or may not work under difficult circumstances. 

I have two of the little Baofeng transceivers that my wife and use under certain circumstances, but they're very low power and won't communicate too far without a repeater. Well, they'll communicate to the moon or to a satellite with 5 watts, but that's a different subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Darrell said:

For a two-meter radio, like the Baofeng, only a tech license is required. You can buy a study guide, devote a few evenings, and easily pass the test.  Two-meters is line-of-site, so it may not be real useful in a "situation", though. Most of us use them with repeaters, and those may or may not work under difficult circumstances. 

I have two of the little Baofeng transceivers that my wife and use under certain circumstances, but they're very low power and won't communicate too far without a repeater. Well, they'll communicate to the moon or to a satellite with 5 watts, but that's a different subject.

It's clear I need more education on the subject. I've read some on using repeaters but not knowing what exactly to invest into I've just window shopped and then moved on lol.

Was just reading a bit up on it, and yes, I know, seems like more will be needed.  But I know many kids got their license when they were about 8.  So shouldn’t be hard. There are three basic levels; technician, general, amateur extra.   

YouTube technician class

How To Get your License

Official amateur radio org

I’m going to watch the YouTube class and see about taking the test online. Better to have it and start practicing with it now then trying to learn it when we need it. 

• Like 1
On 1/19/2024 at 4:12 PM, krunchnik said:

My Dad used to say the 3 SSS-

Shoot-Shovel-Shutup-

I also like the other 3 S rule: Stockup-Skillup-Shutup

@OP, planning for trouble? No. Prepared for trouble? As best as I can be given the realities of modern life. I'm not worried about post-election violence. That's been a bogey-man for a long time.

Prepare for really bad weather (extended winter power outages, blocked roads from downed trees, water out from broken mains) then add boolits and you'll also be prepared for most social unrest. You'll have to go way down the rabbit hole of prepping and make significant changes to how you live your every day life to be ready for a full societal collapse. Very few people are willing to do that and even fewer can do that on their own.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I reckon I’m planning for trouble.

Bought the wife jumper cables for Christmas. She asked why I bought her jumper cables. I told her because she was always starting something.🥰

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

• Like 4
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

It's clear I need more education on the subject. I've read some on using repeaters but not knowing what exactly to invest into I've just window shopped and then moved on lol.

HAM is a cool hobby. I have my Amateur Extra license and all sorts of radios from the inexpensive Baofengs to Uniden, Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu and some others. Talked to people half way around the world. Working with Antennas is really cool. I currently have them in trees and in my attic plus some portable stuff.

Getting started is easy and there are some great YouTube channels that are free and walk you through getting licensed etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1