Blue Alert issued after one Maryville officer killed, another injured

Sad situation. Hopefully he's caught without anyone else getting hurt. 

Side note, am I the only heartless bastard that has amber alerts turned off? I don't have an option to turn the Blue alerts off. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Side note, am I the only heartless bastard that has amber alerts turned off? I don't have an option to turn the Blue alerts off. 

Nah man, I got really tired of Amber Alerts waking me up between 1-3am because a non-custodial parent had possession of their child in Shelby County. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2

I have my amber alerts off as well.  Wife has her phone set for all of those, so she'll know when I didn't listen to her when she told me where to go.  

Sad to hear about the police officers, god speed with the families.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, 10-Ring said:

Nah man, I got really tired of Amber Alerts waking me up between 1-3am because a non-custodial parent had possession of their child in Shelby County. 

100% this.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Another heartless bastard here - as of this morning, I have Amber alerts and public safety alerts turned off.  Do blue alerts fall under public safety alerts?  And what time was that anyway?

23 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Another heartless bastard here - as of this morning, I have Amber alerts and public safety alerts turned off.  Do blue alerts fall under public safety alerts?  And what time was that anyway?

I got two. One at 0023 and a second one at 0104. I don't have an option for Blue alerts so I turned off "public safety messages" this morning. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

You can do that?😬

I thought you just had to live with it.

It would be nice if I could turn on an option “stuff I really need to know”, but it IS the government we’re dealing with here.

Edited by gregintenn
14 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I got two. One at 0023 and a second one at 0104. I don't have an option for Blue alerts so I turned off "public safety messages" this morning. 

I got only one.  It took me a few seconds to realize that it wasn’t my alarm.  Then my concern became my wife not waking up and listening to her raise hell because she thought work was calling me in the middle of the night again.

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

Well it did not inconvenience me I prayed for The murdered officer family and the other wounded officer and the BCSO family. This action by a felon will affect a lot of lives People should be grateful men and women are out there in the darkness keeping their communities safe. I doubt you’ll turn off those alerts when it you’re family and friends are involved 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

It would be nice if I could turn on an option “stuff I really need to know”, but it IS the government we’re dealing with here.

THIS!!!
If my phone goes off with some alert every night from halfway across the state, I tend to ignore what might be pertinent to myself. 
When you get endangered child alerts for 17 year old runaways it kind of makes it unimportant. Chicken Little comes to mind.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

You can do that?😬

I thought you just had to live with it.

Yes. Go into your settings and search for it. Depending on what type of phone you have, it's not too hard to find and turn off. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sleep profit said:

Well it did not inconvenience me I prayed for The murdered officer family and the other wounded officer and the BCSO family.... This action by a felon will affect a lot of lives People should be grateful men and women are out there in the darkness keeping their communities safe. 

By pure happenstance I didn't turn on my " do not disturb  " function on the phone.  I woke up to this about 12:30 pm.

I sent up a prayer over this as well.  It is, indeed, sad that this act of madness happened. 

This shooter here must be a thoroughly dangerous man.  It's reported that they tazed him with no effect and he hit the woods running after shooting the deputies. 

I don't think they have caught sight of him yet. 

I'ma thinkin he had a cel phone and made a rescue call and somebody picked him up. 

I'd say he is a " dead man walking " now... The BCSO does a pretty good job keeping a grip on the hoodlum class in Blount County, so I'm surprised and saddened by this barbarism. It simply demonstrates what is out there on " the frontier ". 

I grew up near this part of the world, know the territory pretty well, and have friends that live around here.  That makes this senseless act of murder and mayhem all the more close to home.

leroy...

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I do not mean to diminish the gravity of the situation. What I'm saying is that an old man asleep in the bed in Macon County can't do much to help it.

Don't worry Brother.   No offense taken.  I'm about like you Brother, it's just close to home . 

leroy ...

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, leroy said:

Don't worry Brother.   No offense taken.  I'm about like you Brother, it's just close to home . 

leroy ...

I wouldn't mind the alert were it close to home. I just don't need to wake up and learn Grandpa got lost coming home from the Elk's club in Carroll County.

I have a Ring camera, and the app for it notifies us of local things. I like that.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I simply do not understand why fancy phone alerts such as this “offend” so many people.  It’s a community service regardless of where you live.

Cop killers, kidnappers, etc., can be anywhere in the state before those alerts are even sent out.   Maybe it’s to alert the public to keep an eye out for them to actually help if they see whoever needs to be found?

• Like 1