9mm for Female, Small Hands, Suggestions Requested

StPatrick

My sis is looking for a nightstand pistol. She's not had much experience shooting, so the platform should be intuitive, easy to operate, and easy to maintain. Compact and SC not needed - this piece will not be carried. Managed recoil from a full size frame is a plus, as is capacity (single stack may help with her main concern, though).

Grip size is her primary issue - she has held a P226, and that's much too large. I am going to swap out backstraps on my XDm and see if the little one works, but not sure due to the double stack.

9mm is preferred, as are semi-autos vs. wheels, but any suggestions will be helpful, especially from men and women with experience in this type of search.

Thanks for helping me out; I'm proud my little sister has decided to choose not to be a victim!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carried my wife "Angel 24/7" on TGO:koolaid: to a gun show.

I told her to put her hands on everything she could to see what felt right.

Her pic was S&W M&P. I got her the compact model & she loves it (I do too)

The small backstrap fit her well & I also got that backstrap Duracoated (by our very own TGO David thanks again) in pink. It was a big plus.

My sis is looking for a nightstand pistol. She's not had much experience shooting, so the platform should be intuitive, easy to operate, and easy to maintain. Compact and SC not needed - this piece will not be carried. Managed recoil from a full size frame is a plus, as is capacity (single stack may help with her main concern, though).

Grip size is her primary issue - she has held a P226, and that's much too large. I am going to swap out backstraps on my XDm and see if the little one works, but not sure due to the double stack.

9mm is preferred, as are semi-autos vs. wheels, but any suggestions will be helpful, especially from men and women with experience in this type of search.

Thanks for helping me out; I'm proud my little sister has decided to choose not to be a victim!

May I ask why ?

The criteria you have set (nightstand gun, new shooter, easy to operate, easy to maintain, managed recoil from frame weight) seem to cry out for a revolver.

Either way, yes, kudos to your sister for taking the step of becoming prepared to defend herself ! :puke: Put her in our HCP course next Saturday....she can try out a few different models and see what feels right. I'll give her your TGO discount.

Edited by BigPoppa
May I ask why ?

The criteria you have set (nightstand gun, new shooter, easy to operate, easy to maintain, managed recoil from frame weight) seem to cry out for a revolver.

Either way, yes, kudos to your sister for taking the step of becoming prepared to defend herself ! :koolaid: Put her in our HCP course next Saturday....she can try out a few different models and see what feels right. I'll give her your TGO discount.

caliber consolidation - hubby is in the sandbox, keeps the aforementioned P226 in the nightstand. Sis does not like it at all, so we need to find her a weapon that fits.

My wife has small hands, she currently likes/has the XD sub compact 9mm, but she really enjoys shooting my full size steel frame 1911 45 auto! She will shoot it more than anything else wehn we go to the range. With the ful size and steel frame she says the recoil is not a problem, and with the single stack mag the grip is fitting to her hand. She also likes her EMP 9mm...

My wife has a G19 in her night stand. She chose it over a full size 1911 .45

Women usually like the feel of a 1911 but don't really like the recoil of one. After hitting a couple of gunshows and gun shops and shooting everything under the sun we could get our hands on from friends and family, she finally chose the Glock 19 for it's ease of use, fit and feel and ease of cleanning and keep up. It's a simple no brainer type firearm for women whom are confident in their handling of firearms. No safty to fumble with is what turned my wife on to the Glock family.

Guest TXRoadhouse

I believe the MP would be a good choice b/c of the interchangeable backstraps. On the other hand if you are looking for a full size gun with minimal recoil check out gp100. Only 6 shots but very accurate easy to use and can use 38 or full horse 357, and you can still get the old factory grips w/ wood inserts from brownells. just some food for thought.

Guest FiddleDog

my vote's in on a 1911 as well. I've not met a female gunner that doesn't love them. If she's scared of the recoil, have her shoot one side by side with a polymer 9mm. My money says that she'll pick the 45 out of a metal frame.

I went through this with my wife. We first got her a Sig P239 in 40 with the Hogue grips. After shooting it several times, she decided she wanted a carry pistol (she thought sig was too heavy). She shot a Glock 26 and settled on it. I put a pierce +1 on the mag and she is good to go with it. I would also look at a glock 19 or 23.

My vote is for the P239, my girl friend has small hand and the P239 fits her very nice, I'd let her have it but she doesn't want her own gun and says that's why she has me (for protection) look in the classified a few for sale right now!!! COOP

If they already own a P226 and her only complaint is the size, then yes I would suggest you let her try your P239. They complement one another nicely.

Also, try taking her to one of the large gun shops and have her try holding a variety of pistols until she finds something she likes.

My wife likes the 1911's as well.

If it's got to be a 9mm, you may want to try the Springfield EMP or the Para Ordinance Carry 9 LDA. Both are resized frame 1911's for 9 mm.

Also, the Ruger SR9 is about the thinnest double stack 9 mm on the market. To me I'd say it's as thin as a 1911.

My wife really like the Kahr P9. Me too. Great size. Feels good to shoot. The DAO trigger is long, but very smooth. Her only issue was the rather strong recoil spring making it hard for her to cycle the slide.

She LOVES to shoot .38 special. She has a 4" S&W Model 66 revolver with a crimson trace grip. She would probably do well with a J-Frame too. The laser grip takes a lot off the table as far as confidence in acquiring a target. Good to practice with too.