Advise on trading Browning Auto 5 20 g

Krull

Thinking about trading my auto 5 made in the 50's for an assault rifle. A little torn about it because I have had this gun since I was 9 and it is in very good condition. Any advice?

2978fcdf.jpg

a079b9ed.jpg

9857e659.jpg

1fcf79bd.jpg

ab45a79f.jpg

I don't know what assault rifle I'm looking for yet for this trade. I'm buying an ak 47 this week som probably try for an AR or something of that nature. I estimate this a5 to be worth around 800 to 1k ?

Edited by Krull
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on what kind of assault rifle you're looking at. Whatever it is, if you trade you might need some cash out of the deal.

Belgian made Auto-5's in that condition command a premium. Even in 20 ga.

Keep it and buy an AK for $400.

Edited by Garufa

Well I saw some beat all to crap A5's yesterday going for 1500 in 20g but I thought that was quite a bit overpriced. I only know what this gun was worth 20 years ago. This is why I'm asking here. Mine is all original and the only real blemish is the one pictured above. No pitting or rust anywhere on it.

Your not the first person to tell me that.

The people have spoken! Don't trade it away. You will regret it (if you're normal :P) especially something that nice.

I still have my first .22, pistol, shotgun and centerfire rifle. There's no way I'd ever let them go.

don't do it! you wont ever be able to have another gun you have had since you were 9 but ar and aks are a dime a dozen

Blaa I got a gun a year since I was 5 until I was eighteen. The 4 before was a colt python , 2 model 94's, and a browning high power. Luckily my dad saw the value of guns and is an avid collector.

Blaa I got a gun a year since I was 5 until I was eighteen. The 4 before was a colt python , 2 model 94's, and a browning high power. Luckily my dad saw the value of guns and is an avid collector.

That must have been nice, first gun I got was a rem 1100 that I bought myself when I turned 18. Wish I had that one back.

Edited by Sidinman
bad spelling

Well as of late my wife (who is very cool) is griping a bit about all of my gun purchases. We have seperate bank accounts but she thinks we should both pay equally for this upcoming vacation to rapid city... Now even though I think it will be cool to go to deadwood and some other places there , I want an ar15 and I want it soon. So devised this trade scheme in my head and that a5 is the one gun I don't really use at all. But your right I will regret it so I'm calling it off.

Guest tnmale46
Well as of late my wife (who is very cool) is griping a bit about all of my gun purchases. We have seperate bank accounts but she thinks we should both pay equally for this upcoming vacation to rapid city... Now even though I think it will be cool to go to deadwood and some other places there , I want an ar15 and I want it soon. So devised this trade scheme in my head and that a5 is the one gun I don't really use at all. But your right I will regret it so I'm calling it off.

glad you decided not to let it go very nice a5.

• 2 weeks later...

Krull, don't do it! I have one exactly like it that I've had since the mid 60s. I turned down $1500 for mine, and never regretted it. I got mine new in the box, and today it still looks brand new. Like others are saying, keep your Browning, and just buy an assault rifle outright. There's a lot of assault rifles, but to you, there's only one of that Browning that you've had since you were 9 years old. You'll regret it later if you do get rid of it. It will never be worth less, always worth more. That's more than you can say for your money in the bank!

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

Glad to see you've decided to hang onto your gun. Your grandson would love to have it some day! I have my granddad's old JC Higgins model 20 12 Gauge, that I was with him when he traded a young heifer and her first calf for it from a neighbor. I was around 7 to 9 years old then, and still vividly remember that day.

Edited by Sidewinder
Didn't realize he had changed his mind.
It all depends on what kind of assault rifle you're looking at. Whatever it is, if you trade you might need some cash out of the deal.

Belgian made Auto-5's in that condition command a premium. Even in 20 ga.

Keep it and buy an AK for $400.

Good advice!! A 20 ga A 5 is a pretty valuable commodity!! Most are 12 ga.

Kind regrds,

Leroy

I'd want upwards of $1500 for that shotgun. Give it a year or so and you'll find that AR prices will decrease while the value of your Browning steadily increases. Think about it; no one makes antique A5s any more. Everybody makes ARs. DON'T DO IT!!!

Thinking about trading my auto 5 made in the 50's for an assault rifle. A little torn about it because I have had this gun since I was 9 and it is in very good condition. Any advice

I don't know what assault rifle I'm looking for yet for this trade. I'm buying an ak 47 this week som probably try for an AR or something of that nature. I estimate this a5 to be worth around 800 to 1k ?

Please dont call it an assault rifle...

Assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(BTW....Nice A5)