S&W M&P pistols

tercel89

Hey guys/gals , I was looking at the M&P pistols 2 years ago . I alomost bought one but then on the M&P forums several people were having rust issues with them .

Now it has been 2 yrs later and I am in the market for one again.

Has anyone here experienced this rust issue ? I know it had something to do with the stainless steel and it being treated by the Melonite process .

Anyone got one ? How has it held up ? I am looking at the mide-size 9mm.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac

I have had one in 9mm for almost three years. No issues with rust at all.

The frame is polymer and the slide and barrel are stainless. How could it rust?

I sent it to Ken Burwell up in PA for some trigger work. He made that M&P a treat to shoot. I am thinking I need to get a .40 soon. I will get an M&P when I do (and send it to Burwell).

Burwell Gunsmithing- Services

Well so far so good . I applied on here to get a Benefactor account so I can sell stuff too , so when that gets into effect (hopefully this weekend ) I will be able to put my Colt .45 up for sale on here and then use that money to get me a new M&P !!!

I looked at the M&P's today . There seems like a plug of some sort at the rear of the frame . Is this to plug up the hole where the ILS(key safety) was if it is made without one ?

The plug on the back is an integrated punch tool that also locks the interchangeable back strap in place, if it's what I think you're talking about...

No I mean on the left side near what I guess would be the beaver-tail on a 1911 gun . There was a letter and an arrow . I am guessing that this is where the ILS (key lock) would go if it had one .

That's actually where the thumb safety goes if you don't have one.

As for my M&P, I treat it like a redheaded hooker. I cleaned it once, on accident. And have never had an issue out of it the I didn't intentionally create.

Go buy one, a case of ammo, and some mags. Then proceed to shoot the piss out of it. You'll be a happy camper.

• Moderators

Tercel89, you are correct, it is where the ILS keyhole would be if so installed. The ambi-safety cutouts in the frame are in close to the same place but actually sit a little forward of where the ILs plug is located. Plus, the ILS plug is only on the left side and there is no matching cutout on the right side for the ambi-safety.

Hey guys/gals , I was looking at the M&P pistols 2 years ago . I alomost bought one but then on the M&P forums several people were having rust issues with them .

Now it has been 2 yrs later and I am in the market for one again.

Has anyone here experienced this rust issue ? I know it had something to do with the stainless steel and it being treated by the Melonite process .

Anyone got one ? How has it held up ? I am looking at the mide-size 9mm.

I shot a brand new never fired M&P 45 in an IDPA sanctioned match last year (shooting approx 260 rounds) and put it in the bag and then next weekend later it was rusted. Sent it directly to Smith & Wesson and they replaced the slide. This was due to them changing vendors for their finishing. After this I never had a problem with the 45 or the 9mm.

I've got an early M&P 9 that does have a little bit of pitting or something on top of the slide. Bought it used. A year later it just kind of cropped up. Very slight. Fortunately it has not progressed. I try to watch it and keep it well oiled. Still my favorite tupper.

I've got an early M&P 9 that does have a little bit of pitting or something on top of the slide. Bought it used. A year later it just kind of cropped up. Very slight. Fortunately it has not progressed. I try to watch it and keep it well oiled. Still my favorite tupper.

You may be able to con S&W out of a new slide

I have an early 9mm.( w/o the crapping looking white lettering on the slide) .no rust, I cannot recall a ftf in hundreds of rounds...best grip for me and the one that I shoot most accurately. A little large to conceal, but if you want a shooter...you cannot go wrong...

• Administrator
I have an early 9mm.( w/o the crapping looking white lettering on the slide) .no rust, I cannot recall a ftf in hundreds of rounds...best grip for me and the one that I shoot most accurately. A little large to conceal, but if you want a shooter...you cannot go wrong...

Que?

I don't remember ever seeing any M&Ps with white lettering on the slides and I've had some since they started pushing them.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Que?

I don't remember ever seeing any M&Ps with white lettering on the slides and I've had some since they started pushing them.

All of my M&Ps have "CAUTION-CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED" on the slide. My M&P9 has "Pro Series" in script on the left side of the slide. All of other markings are roll-marks with no coloring.

Que?

Mine has white lettering on the slide that says "caution: capable of firing with magazine removed". My son has one with the mag safety that does not have this and looks a lot better.

I have an earlier M&P40 without that writing on the side and the only rust issue I see is on the slide were I carried it next to my body. This is very minor and hard to notice. I love the M&P line they are fun accurate and very dependable to shoot. IMO you cant go wrong and best of all they are made in America! It would be hard to say anything negative but if I was pressed the only downfall would be that the trigger reset is not as pronounced as some of my others pistols.