.380 vs .38+p........... ? which is more lethal ?

SonnyCrockett

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 special

By virtue of it being able to use a heavier bullet vs a 380. I would say all else being equal I would rather be shooting a 38 special over a 380.

It all boils down to where you hit them as well. A headshot with a 380 is lights out while a toe shot with a 38 probably isn't. Now with that being said I am in the market for a 380 as we speak.

Dolomite

The one you have on you when the ballon goes up and you need it most is the most lethal and effective, so if your carrying the LCP because it's the least visable in your pocket it wins. Don't get caught up on caliber so much because the gun left at home instead of being on your person doesn't help anyone.

The one you have on you when the ballon goes up and you need it most is the most lethal and effective, so if your carrying the LCP because it's the least visable in your pocket it wins. Don't get caught up on caliber so much because the gun left at home instead of being on your person doesn't help anyone.

This says it perfectly. Personally, I carry a j frame Smith with 38+P, but I wouldn't have any qualms about carrying a .380.

I have carried full size guns nearly all of my adult life. One does get used to the heft. Even to this day I carry and all steel 1911 with 8+1 230 grain bullets. Some days it literally feels like a ton but it also is a good feeling. I don't mind the heft but as I said I am gonig to look for something easier to carry.

Dolomite

I can't comment on lethalality, if that's even a word lol, but my 380 is never more than a foot from me.

I was telling a friend I can't believe how fast I got used to carrying, but the compact size and weight helps that. I also carry an extra magazine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Sonny:_____________

Lots of old time police and LE guys used to carry j frame smiths with the 158 grain LSWC or 148 grain full wad cutters. When i carry my model 36 that's what it is loaded with. I dont like light bullets in 38 specials.

Lots of bad guys layin in the graveyard from both 38 special and 380 wounds. The main thing as others have said, practice with it and carry it all the time.

leroy

Edited by leroy

It's interesting to me that you never hear people who carry SD weapons chambered in service calibers justify what they carry by saying that "it's better than a pointy stick", or "it's better than the .380/.22/.25 that you left at home".

Wonder why that is?

Edited by DaddyO

nine times out of ten i carry a .45 (smith m&p .45c). I used to carry a PF-9 when the .45 wasn't practical. Now i carry a 642 w/.38 +P. Personally, i like this round and my ability to hide the j-frame damn near anywhere. I will pick up another compact 9mm in the near future (more than likely a chief's special) but i can carry the .45 most places i carried the kel tec with no issues. The 642 bails me out in areas where a service size weapon isn't practical (i.e. church). I don't feel underpowered but i think the accuracy (or my ability) at a longer range might be a issue in a active shooter situation. Hiding til' i could smell the guys breath would be my only option when armed with a j-frame. I know others may be able to deploy this weapon effectively under stress at 25+ yrds........sadly....thats not me.

nI know others may be able to deploy this weapon effectively under stress at 25+ yrds........sadly....thats not me.

That's pretty much me with my P3AT, but sometimes I have no choice. I'd still rather carry that than nothing.

Guest cardcutter

In all my years of shooting, I have never had a revolver fail to feed ,stovepipe, or fail to eject. I personaly feel that the 38 revolver is by far a more reliable gun. The 38 is possibley the most used round in law enforcement history for a reason. I alternate carrying a S&W m10 and my Glock 19. I could not bring myself to bet my life on a 380.

I would say which ever one you can deploy the fastest with the best accuracy. For me that would be my model 36 38 special. I do not shoot +Ps in it. The standard pressure ammo is good enough. The great thing about the 380 is the pocket pistols that shoot it are so small they can go with you anywhere. I carry a DB380 as a back up.

According to this chart below there isn't much difference between the two.

Handgun Cartridge Power Chart - Condensed Version

The .357 Magnum is still the King.

I switched to a wheelgun for CCW.....over the years I have seen mine and others

SemiAutos do weird things,Jam,Stovepipe, Safey left on....

With a revolver for CCW all that nonesence is gone.....I try the new 442 today and have my holster on order

Its a free country and Im sure I will plan to mix up my CCW rotation on occasion but

with a +P 38SPL I feel allot safer - plus if you ever was "under pressure" a revolver is a point and shoot deal.

and I have been under pressure before,its a whole new ball game when a bad guy is pointing one at you

I plan on ordering up some Buffilo Bore +P ammo for it -

Edited by SonnyCrockett
I switched to a wheelgun for CCW.....over the years I have seen mine and others

SemiAutos do weird things,Jam,Stovepipe, Safey left on....

With a revolver for CCW all that nonesence is gone.....I try the new 442 today and have my holster on order

Its a free country and Im sure I will plan to mix up my CCW rotation on occasion but

with a +P 38SPL I feel allot safer - plus if you ever was "under pressure" a revolver is a point and shoot deal.

and I have been under pressure before,its a whole new ball game when a bad guy is pointing one at you

I plan on ordering up some Buffilo Bore +P ammo for it -

+1

In 30 years I have never had a revolver stovepipe, double feed or fail to eject.

But an LCP is just so easy to carry..

+1

In 30 years I have never had a revolver stovepipe, double feed or fail to eject.

But an LCP is just so easy to carry..

Indeed. I've had problems with revolvers, but nothing that would ever affect function in a CCW/self defense situation. The only one that has ever been a real problem is a S&W 63 .22lr that has problems with ejecting empties after the 2nd or 3rd cylinder I put through it. I keep meaning to find out what I can do about that.

I am not a fan of .380s and they are not a fan of mine. I can shoot a 1911 all day long, but I've never had a .380 I could more than 2 or 3 mags through without my hand starting to shake. I think it's the fact that they are blow backs, unlike a 1911a1. I've also had only one .380 I ever considered reliable and that was a Sig 230. When I feel the need to carry, I carry a Colt Agent .38 spl which I shoot just fine with Nyclads even at 25 yards. And it shoots all day long with 100% reliability.

Indeed. I've had problems with revolvers, but nothing that would ever affect function in a CCW/self defense situation. The only one that has ever been a real problem is a S&W 63 .22lr that has problems with ejecting empties after the 2nd or 3rd cylinder I put through it. I keep meaning to find out what I can do about that.

Worse revolver issue I ever had was with a Taurus S&W knockoff .38 snub, if you pulled the trigger just right and let off and pulled again it would lock up tight and until you manually cocked the hammer you couldnt do anything with it. The chances of it happening in real life was nil, you had to try to make it do it, but ti was till there. The semi auto wins on reloading for sure, but how many casual carry people carry a reload for either revolver or semi auto.

I am not a fan of .380s and they are not a fan of mine. I can shoot a 1911 all day long, but I've never had a .380 I could more than 2 or 3 mags through without my hand starting to shake. I think it's the fact that they are blow backs, unlike a 1911a1. I've also had only one .380 I ever considered reliable and that was a Sig 230. When I feel the need to carry, I carry a Colt Agent .38 spl which I shoot just fine with Nyclads even at 25 yards. And it shoots all day long with 100% reliability.

No doubt something like an LCP isnt a range gun, but an airweight with +Ps isnt a joy to shoot either after some rounds. LCP is a locked breech, but its so small and light it is way snappier than a heavy .380 blowback pistol like a PPK. Plus the grip on the LCP and other micro .380s is so small its hard to handle if you have large hands.

But an LCP easily disappears in jean pockets and is so light you forget its there, like the old saying goes a .45 doesnt do you a lot of good if its at home in the nightstand because its too inconvenient to carry. If you have pants you can carry an LCP or similar sized .380.

My LCP had stovepiped once in 350 rounds with me firing it, which for a semi-auto that size ans weight is pretty amazing to me. But it will jam every once in a while when my 12 year old shoots it, that means if you limp wrist it during a struggle it may become a single shot pistol, that wont happen with a revolver.