Does your girlfriend/wife know the combo to your safe?

My wife knows the combination. Like was said above, if you have any hesitation about giving your girlfriend/fiancee the combination, then you need to keep looking for a partner.

I also have a sealed packet stored with my attorney that contains my will, safe combination, computer passwords, etc. To be opened only in the event of my death.

Just me, but *wife* OK, anyone else outside of blood (and only a maybe on these...mom, dad, siblings).....not so much. For me, she had to walk the aisle to get the combo (and a crap load of other stuff). It ain't about trust, it's about committment.

I totally agree with this. I cannot imagine giving the combo to my safe to a "girlfriend". I think I would hesitate even with a new wife, given the divorce rates in this country. After 5 years, maybe. I am on year 12 this month but unmarried with her thru college, its really year 17 or so .... she learned the combo 2 years back, but I would have taught her by the time we were married given our long dating history.

Edited by Jonnin

No wife or girlfriend here. My parents asked me once if I wanted to let them know what my combo was I just replied "Yall won't tell me what yours is, if something happens to me just get them to drill it.

Now that's funny!

My wife has the combo, but I have often wandered if she didn't have it could she lose her life. Suppose a zombie visited my wife, suppose she really didn't know the combo, but the zombie thought she was lying. With a gun to her head, could she lose her life if she couldn't open the safe? This may sound like a joke, but I have seriuosly thought about this. There is absolutely nothing in the safe worth losing a life over, so she knows the combo, wish I could say it for that reason, but I just shared it with her on day 1.

IMHO, if you are not prepared to share the combination, then call off the engagement, because there must be trust issues. My wife has the combination and can get the door open faster than I can.

Not necessarily. I have NFA in the safe and by law she can not have access to them when I'm not around.

My wife does not have the combination to my little safe, but it's not about trust or privacy so much as because I can't remember the effing combo myself (although I can still get in if I use a stethoscope to listen to the tumblers fall - I don't keep anything in there but my will and a very rare and valuable book). She does know where the key to the gun cabinet is - on my key ring, on my belt - but she's never asked me for it because, in her words, "There's nothing I need in there that I can't get to with a crow bar!" :P:lol:

Not necessarily. I have NFA in the safe and by law she can not have access to them when I'm not around.

Not exactly accurate. She cannot have 'possession'. You can leave it on the coffee table or kitchen counter, and she can legally move it out of her way when you aren't there. That is not considered possession. If she actually uses it while you are away, it's a different story.

Guest TankerHC

Ill give you a good reason to not give it, unless your relationship is solid. A distant relative of mine broke up with his wife and started seeing his friends wife (They also broke up). Well, yesterday while his new girlfriends ex-husband was at work, my relative and his new girlfriend went to her ex-husbands house, opened the safe (She had the combination) and they stole all of his guns, and his new car (He had taken his truck to work), and his furniture. Yes, this relative of mine is a POS. He is currently on the run with three warrants. Theft of the guns (He is also a convicted felon), stolen car (which they have recovered) and a blue warrant (No bond). She is wanted under the same warrants. Stealing a mans car and furniture, thats one thing....but stealing his guns is another thing altogether.