Going to buy first handgun...

zmtd8

Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy my first handgun, but I don't want to rush out and buy the first thing I can afford. So I thought I would get some advice from you all. What am I looking for? Well I want something that I can put a relatively high amount of rounds through often, since me and my friends go shooting all the time. Plus I want something that I can use as a PDW since I plan on getting my conceal carry permit also. I realize that it is a gun and that if you shoot a normal person with anything it is going to hurt them, but I want something with real stopping power. My favorites are the 1911 and the Springfield Xd or XDM's. These can be kind of pricey though. Or would a 9mm do just a good of job? I am not a big fan of Glocks, I shot the Glock 40 once and it was nice and light, but this caused way to much recoil. I realize I probably asked a bunch of stupid questions, but I don't want to invest in something that is unreliable and I apologize if you all have been asked this question a thousand times, but any and all information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler, welcome. This is a great place with lots of great folks and info.

There are no "stupid questions." The most important factor in stopping is shot placement, not caliber. "It's hard to argue with a .22 to the tear duct." Col. Cooper, I believe. Whatever you can shoot accurately, consistently, confidently will do the job that needs to be done.

Tyler, you are going to get a bunch of advise here. Most will be spot on. However, your will need to decide what fits YOUR needs the best. I have found shooting differant guns is the best way to go about this. How bout meeting me at a range in Kingsport one afternoon and you can try out a few differant options?

The best advice I can give you is to find your way to a good shooting range indoor or outdoor that offer's rental gun's. Try as many different one's as you can befor buying your first gun if at all possible. The 1911 Colt Gov't Mdl or clone in 45acp is a fine pistol but many other pistol's are equally good as well.

if price is a concern, go for 9mm. Otherwise, everyone has their favorite caliber and their opinions as to why. If we could all agree on one, then there would only be one caliber (.45 in my opinion). There are stores that have ranges and will let you rent their guns (such as guns and leather).

Glock is a perfect out of the box killing machine, especially for folks who don't take time to clean and take care of their firearms. They are also very easy to breakdown completely. With that said my favorites in no order: Sig 220, Sig 226, Sig 229, Sig 238, 1911 (any make/model), Glock 19, Glock 22, Springfield XD, S&W M&P. If you don't want a polymer gun, because of whatever reason then look at Sig, but be willing to open your pocketbook a lot wider than you thought.

As others have already said, try to shoot as many different pistols as possible if you can before you choose. Unfortunately, choosing just one pistol is going to be very hard...there are so many good choices out there. Goodluck!

For what it's worth, I think the Ruger SR9c is a great value, but I also like Sig, Glock, S&W.....etc. :2cents::stir::usa:

There's so many variables involved. If you want something you can carry concealed, few must be thought of first is your hand size, body type, and how you dress.

If you have small to medium hands a polymer double stack in .45 acp, might be hard to get your fingers around quickly/easily from the draw.

If you're a bigger guy, you can successfully conceal even a full-size 1911. Summertime, might change that though.

If you wear tight tshirts and/or sagging pants, you aren't going to find anything very easy to carry.

For target shooting, the bigger the better, usually. You'll find that you can shoot a 3# revolver better than a pocket gun. For home defense, you might want to consider something with a light rail.

Smaller guns (like LCP) have long bothersome DAO triggers. Guns mfg for competition target shooting will have unsafe triggers for SD/CCW. Striker fired guns have consistent trigger pulls. Revolvers can have sweet trigger pulls but limit your ammo capacity.

None of this will make your decision easier, just wanted to give you more to consider before you spend money. I'm sure others will remember other things I forgot. And still others will tell you what their favorite is without regard to what will work for you.

from your description of wanting something that you plan to put ALOT of rounds through but would also be a personal defense gun i would say go with the 9mm just because it's the cheapest centerfire ammo that's widely and readily available, and also a very capable round in a defensive situation and has been said there are MANY good options such as sig, ruger, Xd, M&P, Glock ... i personally second LCPfraTN's comment the ruger SR9 and SR9C are alot of gun for the money and deffinately worth looking into

I am not a big fan of Glocks, I shot the Glock 40 once and it was nice and light, but this caused way to much recoil.

You said you like the XD and XDm, but didn't like the lighter weight of the Glock. Glocks are a little bit lighter than a comparable XD, but not so much that I can tell a lot of difference on the range. If you were shooting a 9mm or .45 XD and comparing that to a .40 Glock, the difference in felt recoil is probably more in the round than the weight of the gun. The .40 is considered by some to be a snappy round. I have an XD in .40 and while I'm plenty accurate with it, it does produce more felt recoil than a similar Glock in .45 or in 9mm. My wife shoots 9mm and can handle .45, but hates shooting the .40. You may want to give Glock another chance in a different caliber before striking it off your list.

If it's going to serve double duty as a range gun and a carry gun, then the pocket guns like Ruger's LCP or the Kel-Tec P3AT should be off the list. They're hard on most people's hands after a few magazines.

Your own size makes a difference too. If you're 5'3" and 98lbs soaking wet, a full-sized 1911 will be a challenge, but if you're built like The Big Show, it will all but disappear.

Look at both single-stack and double-stack guns. Double-stacks will hold more rounds, while single-stacks are thinner and easier to conceal.

You'll also need to decide if a thumb safety is important to you or not. Glocks and XDs don't have them. Smith M&Ps have them as an option. 1911s have them. I chose the XD for my first carry gun over a Glock mostly due to the grip-safety on the XD. It's now a nightstand gun and I carry something with no external safeties. It's a matter of what you're comfortable with.

A model made in multiple calibers will hold more rounds in the 9mm model, followed by .40, then .45 with the fewest. You have to decide between more holes or bigger holes in the bad guy.

As others have recommended, the best way to find the gun you need, is to fire several types at a range. Then determine which factors are more important in your choice. My requirements for a carry pistol are much different than those for my range pistols.

Guest Averhoeven

I picked up a Walther PPQ as my first handgun. Not terribly expensive ($450 to $550 are typical prices I've seen), reputable manufacturer, fantastic reviews from people who know far more than I do and the fact that I like to have something that not everybody has all played a role in the original decision. It's a great feeling pistol and everyone that has ever taken a few shots with it at the range has loved it as well. The trigger on it just feels..... right and it's hard to describe it otherwise. Give one a try some time if you're looking and I don't think you'll regret it.

XD is a fine pistol. I do not own one at the time but I have in the past and probably will again. Glock is a great gun to if they fit your hand. They don't fit mine well. You could try a model 19 in 9mm.

I have big hands so I like HK USPs. try looking for a used one in 9mm if you want an amazing gun . The FNP is another excellent choice as well as something from. CZ.

Tyler, you are going to get a bunch of advise here. Most will be spot on. However, your will need to decide what fits YOUR needs the best. I have found shooting differant guns is the best way to go about this. How bout meeting me at a range in Kingsport one afternoon and you can try out a few differant options?

I might have to take you up on that if i ever get the time to get to Kingsport. I will be going back to ETSU in the fall so I will be pretty close then, so if I haven't made up my mind by then I will get in contact with you.

For what it is worth, I have smaller hands not too small. Both the 1911 and the Glock and the Xd all felt good in my hands though.

Whether you wind up EDC an XD or XDm or not, you will never regret the purchase. Just like a Glock, it will be a lifelong reliable firearm. I have 3 XD 9mm models, love all three.

I carry one of two options:

XD Subcompact 9mm in IWB holster

(the 13+1 capacity is quite comforting):

tt1.jpg

Or when (as of late) I need to be as absolutely discreet as possible, a Kahr PM9 in pocket:

Kahr-Stellar.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

My first handgun ever was a Ruger P95...I quickly realized I had underbought what my new addiction demanded. I hope you're ready for what comes AFTER you buy your first handgun... but anyway I digress, after the P95 followed a Ruger LCP for carry, which I sold for a Kel Tec PF9, which I discovered I hated. After the PF9 I bought a Kahr CM9...this is in my opinion one of the best values for a carry gun (my opinion) I still have the CM9. Simultaneously as the exchanges I just described I traded my P95 for a XD9sc, which I later traded for a M&P9, and which was traded for a SP101 in .357mag, which was JUST traded for a 12g Benelli... Sprinkled in there I also bought a Metro Arms 1911, sold it for a Glock 26 which I still have, and a buddy bought me a Walther PPQ as payment for a favor... So my collection over the last year has gone through 10 different brands/styles/types of firearms...

I share this drawn out story because I want to highlight that it's okay to buy your first gun and then turn around and try something new. Guns tend to retain their value, if you sell to one of us, you'll be able to try many different guns if you want. XD's are great...so are M&P's... Glocks work better for me, and the PPQ is probably the best out there...for me. So there, if you wanted my recommendation get a PPQ in whatever flavor (9mm or 40SW) you choose.

Guest bkelm18

Yea I love the way the Xd looks and feels.. That is what I am leaning towards right now.

Be sure to also look at the XDm for a little more $$. Great gun as well.

It's pretty hard to go wrong. I own a dozen hanguns, and don't really have a favorite. My tastes have also changed over time. I disliked Glocks for years, and now own three. I lean towrd them for carry because they're light, simple, and very reliable.

If you're like most of us, your first one won't be your last.

Your leaning toward XD, that's good. Your looking to carry, look at compact. Your planning on shooting alot, make it 9mm. For self defense you'll need a top quality self defense round that will do the job. Just some thoughts based on what you've told us so far.

Several said PPQ which is full size but a top quality piece. Several said Ruger SR9c which is also very good and might be a good fit. Personally, I had enough of the 1911 when I was in the military in the early 80s so I have nothing positive to say there.

Check out the Smith & Wesson M&P line. It’s pretty tough to beat an all American made weapon that has become popular with so many Police Officers, Departments, and HCP holders.

I would recommend the full size if most of your shooting will be range work.

The Compact is a little easier to conceal. It can also use full size mags when concealment is not an issue.

Then there is the new M&P “Shieldâ€, even smaller, but wouldn’t be a good choice for range work.

Depending on what I’m doing I have the full size in .40S&W, the Compact in 40S&W, and as soon as I can get my hands on it I will have the Shield. In rifles I have the M&P15T in .223 and the M&P15-22 in .22LR.

Can’t go wrong with a Smith & Wesson, you might want to check them out.

....Can’t go wrong with a Smith & Wesson, you might want to check them out.

Echo that.

If the 9mm Compact had been out four years ago when I was jumping into legal carry, I might not have gone XD in the first place.

If the 9mm Shield had been out then, I might not own a Kahr, as the Kahr is only a scootch smaller.

Btw, I shot a Shield the other day .. most impressive thing for me was lack of recoil; it really just felt like about same as a full sized model.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Echo that.

If the 9mm Compact had been out four years ago when I was jumping into legal carry, I might not have gone XD in the first place.

\

Does that mean you don't like your XD?

Does that mean you don't like your XD?

I love it. Actually, I have THREE of them. 3,4, and 5 inchers.

But would have preferred to buy American made if all else were pretty close spec-wise. There just wasn't much to compare to the XD Subbie and Glock 26 at the time for size, capacity, and caliber, and for various reasons I liked the XD Subbie much more.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot